X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color vs B/W Cameras

Guys, as some of you know, buying the first inspection camera is a brain damaging, heart wrenching, wallet breaking decision, so I beg of you to help diminish the damage. Is it worth spending the extra couple grand to get a color camera instead of B/W? Or would the B/W be a good enough starter?
    I am thinking to bite the bullet and get one monitor with two reels, the mini and the micro drain, so some steering towards the best place to buy would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Color vs B/W Cameras

i went with color and am glad i did. some say the contrast of B&W is better

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

the micro is not available in b&w. the mini i have both.

at first when there was only b&w, it was great. good contrast. just like a xerox machine. then out came white led's and color cameras were introduced to sewer inspections.

the white led's are real bright. the color is useful for pipe identification.

plus how else do you tell the difference between corn and peas

sooner or later i think the b&w will be discontinued

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

One thing about Ridgid Cameras you can buy the black and white system, then later buy a replacement camera head that is color. The heads are interchangeable. But if you do go this route, and have a B&W monitor and go to a color head the monitor will still show B&W but will record in color.

Thing is if I recall if you get the B&W set up the monitor is cable of displaying color. Maybe someone could clarify this.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Hey Rick ALL B/W has been discontinued! The poor plumbers camera is now gone!

The only ones available will be a used model. So stock up!

Comment

I would rather have a B/W camera then NO camera!
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

For the money this seems like a good system, fullsize snake as noted by the wheels, has been repaired shortened down to 125' from 200' No bidders might be worth a call.
              http://cgi.ebay.com/RIDGID-KOLLMANN-...item3a5688054e
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

It is true all the black and white systems have been discontinued, but you may beable to find a used sytem out there. In my oppinion the color is better for obvious reasons but the black and white gets the job done. It is like watching tv at home you could watch it in black and white, but everyone wants to see the detail and color in a color system .Anyways any questions about systems or for pricing feel free to contact us at 18009505023.

Comment

I see more detail with a black and white unit than I do with color. Like fine cracks where a color just does not show that fine of detail but my black and white picked it up with no issues. Where color is required is if you are dye testing sewers. You will need to see the color of the dye.

I can tell what type of pipe I am in with a black and white as well as any color camera system. I say if you are using it for inspecting for roots and broken pipes, get a black and white system. If you are doing dye testing or you need the color to see what type of pipes you are dealing with then get the color.

I am sad that they are no longer offering new B&W systems. They where a great entry level system for people that just needed one to see if they got all the roots out, or see a broke pipe. Very disappointing. I guess that means once I finally brake my B&W heads I have to spend more $$$ on a color head even though my monitor is B&W...
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I see more detail with a black and white unit than I do with color. Like fine cracks where a color just does not show that fine of detail but my black and white picked it up with no issues. Where color is required is if you are dye testing sewers. You will need to see the color of the dye.

I can tell what type of pipe I am in with a black and white as well as any color camera system. I say if you are using it for inspecting for roots and broken pipes, get a black and white system. If you are doing dye testing or you need the color to see what type of pipes you are dealing with then get the color.

I am sad that they are no longer offering new B&W systems. They where a great entry level system for people that just needed one to see if they got all the roots out, or see a broke pipe. Very disappointing. I guess that means once I finally brake my B&W heads I have to spend more $$$ on a color head even though my monitor is B&W...
                    You can get your B/W heads remanufactured. Call Jim Smith at Central Oklahoma Winnelson.

Comment

I personally think Ridgid really shafted a lot of plumbers. About $1400 was the difference between the two. It will shut out a lot of business people. I could see the value of used b/w systems going up, or people will take their money and buy the cheaper brands.
                      Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 01-10-2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Ouch... Please keep in mind there are a lot of factors in product obsoletions. For example... think about the demand for black and white electronics in the world as a whole. Black and white in a lot of cases is becoming more expensive than color because of the drastically reduced volumes. Some parts ya just cant get anywhere anymore.

Also.. if your looking for a good started camera the microReel may be a good fit.

Also... I believe there are still quite a few black and white systems out in distribution if you look a bit... so they arent all gone yet.. we just arent shipping any more out to our distributors.

On the black and white monitor. The B&Ws were actually black and white tubes so there is no way they can display color.

You can however take a black and white reel and hook it up to a black and white monitor... you just wont see any of the color

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                        I personally think Ridgid really shafted a lot of plumbers. About $1400 was the difference between the two. It will shut out a lot of business people. I could see the value of used b/w systems going up, or people will take their money and buy the cheaper brands.

Comment

Thanks Josh, if lack of demand is going to drive up the cost, then it is definately not worth the effort for the customer or Ridgid.

I request to withdraw my "shafting" and change to a "that stinks."

Comment

Another thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that the B/W camera head is SMALLER in diameter than the color. Sometimes that is the difference in getting where you need to go or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
                              Another thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that the B/W camera head is SMALLER in diameter than the color. Sometimes that is the difference in getting where you need to go or not.
                              True True I wish I still had my B/W compact it got thru those 1.5" steel lines sometimes that my color compact can't but oh well just waiting to get the micro explorer to feel perfect again.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X