X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevlar vs Gel filled video cable

Some companies offer Kevlar reinforced cables for their inspection cameras. I was told that it is better than gel filled. Price wise, I was told that the Kevlar reinforced cable is twice as expensive. Does anyone know anything about this?

Re: Kevlar vs Gel filled video cable

Gel filled push cable is used mainly by Raetech. It was designed to protect the wire inside the push cable from water damage. In my oppininion it weakens the push cables durability. Ridgids push cable does not kink as easy and is more durable. It is also very hard to get water inside the cable and ruin the wires, but it can be done especially if you tape your push cable or continue to use it after it is broken or kinked. As far as Kevlar Ridgid does not use the Kevlar inner lining anymore, but it worked well in the older push cables and there new push cable is some sort of plastic outter composite with plastic spacer wire and fiberglass inner-core. Any further questions feel free to contact the office at 18009505023.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarsewerequipment View Post
      but it can be done especially if you tape your push cable.
      Are you saying if you use tape and keep it on the cable it will weaken it in that spot?
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I don't think the cables are Kevlar reinforced, they are (were?) Kevlar jacketed, which is where it would matter.

Kevlar offers superior cut and abrasion resistance. Which matters when you are running the camera into a 2" cast iron tee with a threaded cap. Those threads on the tee will munch a "red" jacketed Ridgid cable if you don't watch what you're doing.

Sounds like the camera manufacturers have run out of significant differences to promote and have sunk to stuff such as this to get you to buy one brand over another.

Comment

I recall the old SeeSnakes had Kevlar thread running through them Two the be exact. It was in case the push rod snapped the threads where strong enough so you can still pull the camera back.

So when did Ridgid stop doing the threads in the push rod? And is there a way to order it the old way?
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I don't know gel filled from kevlar. I only know what I've got; ridgid color mini's with the older black push cable... on the order of 10 years old. If that's the kevlar cable refered to, I like it alot. It's taken years of abuse, been retermed several times, has a nice flex. Is the current red cable the gel-filled?

I do know I was pretty unimpressed with the cable on the vivax camera, both the mini and the full size. Got less distance with both than I can get with my ridgid minis and more easily kinked. That push cable was the major deal breaker on the vivax system for me, and why I've stayed with ridgid and the vivax sits at the shop.

PS Vance; I ordered my archos 705 today, largely on your reviews. Excited for it to get here and looking forward to telling you how much I love it.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Just remember what Vance said about it thinking you are doing copyrighted material if you don't catch it you can only view the recorded material on the Archos. After 50 times using the Archos it just happened to me.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

what's your tip-off it's doing it and you need to start over?
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Some little icon on the top, I missed it and was going to search the forum for vances post. But I remember when it happens you just stop and start recording again. I figured I could trick it with my editing program but it didnt work. I was going to try tonight to play the video on the archos and patch in my Sony DVD recorder and see if it will work.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

wow Ace just noticed you joined 1 month before me and are smoking me on post count. lol
                    Wow I been on here 2 years...time goes by fast seems like just the other day.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Gene tape will not weaken the push cable if you are just using it for footage reference or to mark a spot. However what a lot of guys do is tape a kinked or broken push cable together so the wires do not get wet as a temporary fix and what can happen is in the ridgid push cable if you continue to use your push cable when the wires are exposed it can ruin the ground shield wire as far as the water can absorb up the cable and this has caused a lot of customers to lose a lot of push cable. As far as the Kevlar the Kevlar braided thread only runs through some of the older black style push cables. Nowthe shield ground wire runs where that was. As far as ordering any of the old push cable I have not had anyone request it but i am pretty sure it is discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        what's your tip-off it's doing it and you need to start over?

Upper right hand corner of the display, you will see

(P)

in addition to the usual stuff

and the VIDxxxx will be increased by one.

Comment

the newer cables have multi-strand stiffeners. unlike the older stuff that had a single core.

the new stuff is very difficult to break. but if you really, really try, it can be done

there's a lot that goes into the right choice for push rods. look at the micro drain camera. it's flexible enough to make it through a toilet, yet stiff enough to make it 30' downstream, yet it can be tied into a knot and pick up a ridgid vise

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X