X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MicroExplorer Daily Uses

Just thought I'd show a few ways I've used the MicroExplorer from day to day and how it's been helpful for anyone thinking of getting one.

The first two pics are of a shower drain another plumber installed for someone. It's on a slab and has always been like this. They never used it much but had begun too and wanted to know why it was leaking. With the MicroExplorer I was able to slide it underneath, take some pictures, and actually make a movie of it leaking for the homeowner. That way they had proof and could decide what they wanted to do.

The third pic is of a polybutylene connection underneath a cabinet floor.

The fourth pic is kind of hard to see. That's water flying everywhere but over to the right corner is a 1/2" copper tee leaking. The device was very helpful here because I could not even get to this in the crawlspace. But fortunately the leak was within about 2' of a HVAC duct. Removed it and was able to take a picture of this, do some measuring, and eliminate some destruction to make things go quicker. (Cut the floor out of a cabinet more accurately.)

The fifth pic shows you can use it to take a pic of something you would normally take with your digital camera but forgot it that morning. Anyone know the valve number for the cold side?

In short, I hate spending several hundred bucks on a small electronicy item. But I have to say that it's made things easier more than once and made customers more satisfied being able to see what's happening and why some things we have to do....just have to be done.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:40 PM.

Re: MicroExplorer Daily Uses

On the electrical end, that tool has made fishing wires through walls SO much easier. It's nice knowing exactly is in that wall that will make life difficult for running a circuit for a customer. Also, it's great for guiding five foot long flexible auger bits through blockers. there have been a couple times prior where that bit decided to bank a turn and ram right through the plaster wall, rather than straight down otherwise.

Comment

Question about the explorer. If I stuck the head in a septic tank will it light up the other end of the tank 8 feet away? I'm thinking it would be an easy way to confirm the inlet or outlet baffle is in place.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Nope.. if its completely dark in there I highly doubt you would even see the other side. Although there is a low light mode that I cant remember how much it increases the range. Mark would be able to tell you. 8 feet still seems a little stretchy though.

Josh

Comment

There would be some outside light coming in through the lid.

Comment

I still say no. Sorry. I think you would need a larger camera head/view and more light than even a full size SeeSnake would generate from 8' away.

We always open both sides of the tank anyway.

J.C.

Comment

Most of our tanks don't have but one lid. The old one's anyhow. New tanks (last 5 years) have lids over both baffles, usually one being the manhole.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                Question about the explorer. If I stuck the head in a septic tank will it light up the other end of the tank 8 feet away? I'm thinking it would be an easy way to confirm the inlet or outlet baffle is in place.

I've tried it with my Micro Explorer and it doesn't work. I've tried a couple times on different ones. In fact it's hard to see anything with it in a septic tank.

Has anyone had trouble seeing the screen when your outside?
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Anyone know the valve number for the cold side?
                  J.C.
                  Not sure if this is what you want, but that's a Monticello and uses
                  a 1224 stem on both hot and cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    Nope.. if its completely dark in there I highly doubt you would even see the other side. Although there is a low light mode that I cant remember how much it increases the range. Mark would be able to tell you. 8 feet still seems a little stretchy though.

Josh
                    And even if you could light up the other side, it would be so out of focus you wouldn't be able to see anything. Don't forget that depth of field on inspection cameras is generally only a couple of feet - it's assumed that what you want to look at is directly in front of you, and not far away.

Comment

Working...
                    X