X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location Education Again

I was doing some locating today. After doing my locate in the work area I decided to do some practice at another area.

I went to where some utilities came into the house. Power and cable only. The power absolutely comes from overhead. Obviously, I'm looking at it.

But for the heck of it I decide to passively locate around the area. It's just practice anyway.

I get a strong signal from the cable line through the yard, consistently, all the way to the pole. Then I trace back all the way to the box on the house. I don't even look up to make sure I only do what the locator says and try not to influence my track.

Good consistent signal both ways with confirming information of signal strength in the other areas on the screen.

There are no other utilities in the area or in the ground.

Is it common for cable to put out such a strong signal when locating passively? Or not necessarily a strong signal but such an easily detectable one? If I recall correctly, this was at 60Hz and in OmniSeek. I was NOT using a transmitter at all.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Location Education Again

Any opinions?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

It is not uncommon to be able to locate lines passively without using the transmitter. Signal bleeds off from power lines and radio signals. Your cable could share a common ground or is simply the path of least resistance for the signal.

Doing a passive sweep on Omni-Seek prior to excavating is a great safety practice because you might just find an unknown line that is not shown on the prints.

Comment

We have done test locates on water lines using 60hz. Anything that is grounded to the electric panel could have the 60Hz freq running thru it. I would not consider this a good locate though.

Comment

Working...
        X