Help Locating a 20" HDPE Water Line, 1500' Crossing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Locating a 20" HDPE Water Line, 1500' Crossing

I am attempting to locate a 20" HDPE line, with no tracer wire, buried up to 20' and in up to 20' of water (this is a subaqueous crossing). Any suggestions on locating the full 1500' crossing, sonde maybe?

Re: Help Locating a 20" HDPE Water Line, 1500' Crossing

an Addition: The water line runs under heavy traffic, two active power lines, at least three abandoned metal water mains and two different fiber lines.

an FYI: I've already been told by three different locators that its impossible, I'm looking for a miracle fix.

Comment

No direct suggestion, however I can share with you that this company http://www.xlisurveys.com/ and their parent (H&M Pipe Line Services) has experience in doing what you are talking about. Perhaps they could consult with you or provide advice?

You can see more information on one of their solutions at: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/GPS-Mapping/EN/index.htm

Comment

If you can get access to the inside of the pipe, you can push a sonde through the pipe and locate it. The sonde signal shouldn’t have a problem penetrating the HDPE and I wouldn’t expect the other buried utilities or overhead wires to interfere with the signal.

The other option is to push a camera through the line and use the integrated line trace feature. Integrated line trace allows you to put a signal on the entire camera line and not just where the sonde is on the end. This saves one from pushing at 10’ increments and having to stop and locate each time.

Another issue is that 1500’ is a long run. The longest standard camera length is 325’. I have seen some rodders that are 1000’ long, but it could be hard to push if there are multiple turns. You may need to push from both ends of the 1500’ run.

Comment

Look into "Multi-channel seismic reflection" and "sub-bottom sonar"

Hope it helps...

Multichannel Seismic is VERY high end Oil exploration stuff so you may have the best luck with

Sub-bottom sonar: http://www.aquasurvey.com/services/c...ysical_survey/

Bill
          Last edited by OkieBill; 02-04-2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dive-Tech LTO View Post
            I am attempting to locate a 20" HDPE line, with no tracer wire, buried up to 20' and in up to 20' of water (this is a subaqueous crossing). Any suggestions on locating the full 1500' crossing, sonde maybe?
            You MUST let as all know how this comes out!
            Where is this all going on?

Pinellas Park....
            I used to live in tampa and end up there once in a while.
            The cops were real bored so a smart man never went 1 over the limit then.

Comment

Working...
            X