X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Seesnake?

Hello, I have been searching and reading any information on Seesnakes I could possibly fine, but decided to ask some of the experts here so I get the right seesnake for the application.

I do Septic and drain work and decided a camera would really me on some of my work. I work mostly on residential properties, and the biggest pipes I will usually be inspecting will be of 4" diameter and rarely 6". for leech lines and main sewer lines, and of course the smaller diameter inside plumbing lines.

So my questions are...Would a compact or L100 be sufficient for 4" lines? Could both of them be pushed the full 100' in 4"?

Also I see alot of the older seesnake standards on ebay. They have the black cable. Should I stay away from that or is it fine? What size lines can those older units inspect? Like what size straight shots and bends?

Also what size bends will the newer seesnake standard plus inspect? It says 2' 90's so is that true or is that pushing it?

Thank you in advance for any help you guys can give me. I know I had alot of questions.

Re: Which Seesnake?

I have an older, much older full size unit. It can make multiple turns in 3" line with out any issues, and in most cases I can push it a full 200'

I have been real happy with the performance of my units. I will let the others comment on the compact. The new Micro Reel might be an option since it can do 2" to 4" lines and the push rod is stiff enough to go 100'
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      I have an older, much older full size unit. It can make multiple turns in 3" line with out any issues, and in most cases I can push it a full 200'

I have been real happy with the performance of my units. I will let the others comment on the compact. The new Micro Reel might be an option since it can do 2" to 4" lines and the push rod is stiff enough to go 100'

I remember reading, I think from plumber rick, that even the mini wasn't to great in 4" lines so I was concerned about the compact or l100 in those bigger lines. If they can do 4" I think they would be perfect for now.

Also thanks for your input on the older seesnakes. The price is definitely right on some of those older units, so thank you.

Comment

the mini seesnake would probably be your best unit for your application. the reel is 200' max and the transmitter is stronger than the micro reel.

micro reel is a good system, but the mini will be more universal and stiffer, stronger for the big runs. the transmitter is more powerful too

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

compact will be good for you in 4". get ball guides with it. in a straight shot in 4", you'll push it 100' in abs or pvc, maybe/maybe not in cast iron or clay; a misalignment or a lip in clay may stop you.

easier to negotiate bends at the beginning of the run than the end; 3 90's in 3" cast, then straight is easy, other way around is more difficult.

think the mini is better. more $, but worth it. 200' means you can kink it and get it retermed losing a few feet and not need a whole new pushrod. also mini is independent of monitor so you have more options for how you want to view and record. also like the mini as if you have multiple systems (which you probably will eventually) you can mix and match when a piece goes down; ie you have two systems in the field, and a spare reel, kink a pushrod and you are still up and running while it gets repaired.

micro reel or drain lateral or whatever it's called now it's gone to market is good also. its a stretch in 4", but it'll do it. very good in 2". mini will do 2", but not 2" traps. micro reel is nice as it works with the explorer for a monitor/recorder; cheapish option. gives you more capability on the small end, but you lose some ability to do distance in 3" and 4"

if most of your work is going to be in 4", go compact or mini. all you really lose is 2" trap capability, and if you go mini, and you want that capability, you can spring for that reel later.

leach lines usually have a bunch of slime in them and you won't see much before you gunk up the lens w/o jetting first most of the time.

standard you get capability in bigger lines or longer runs, but lose some capability for bends in smaller lines.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Rick, Ace, and Ratz thanks a lot for this information. This is what I was looking for. Everytime I came close to buying one system I talked myself out of it because I didn't know it's REAL capabilities.

So it sounds like the mini is the way to go. Just another question though. The MicroReel Vs. the compact...Which is the better unit? Both seem to go up to 4" PVC. The compact has the bigger monitor, but the explorer seems to be incredibly portable and can record onto SD cards.

I mainly see PVC and older orangeburg pipes out in Massachusetts, and like I said, I'm mostly going to be using it on 4" lines in the leech field, but will be going inside sometimes.

BTW rick, after reading some of your posts I went out and bought a new k-60 and k-39af last week. Both are great machines and A LOT easier to carry then the drums.

Comment

Micro reel/explorer is a pretty inexpensive, super-portable combo, but you are primarily doing 4", so I think you'd want the bigger/stouter pushrod on the compact and mini. Micro reel will do 4", but not to the distance the others will; it has a smaller diameter more flexible pushrod to allow it to do bends in smaller lines more easily.

compact and mini share the same pushrod and camera head. better for distance in 4".

compact has the monitor-on-reel set up. mini has the separate monitor and reel and has up to 200' instead of the 100' on the compact.

don't know for sure but I don't think there is recording on the compact.

advantages of micro reel/explorer are extreme portability, great deal of capability in small lines, some ability in up to 4", and digital recording built in to explorer. also pretty good price point.

compact gives you a bit more ability to push distance in 4", but you lose somethng in little lines.

mini same as compact, but with 200' of pushrod it is more versatile, and more serviceable (useful length of pushrod still left after repair) should you damage the rod near the end. And it is a modular solution, so you can pair it with the recording/viewing option of your choice, and add a standard or a micro reel later if you want more capability w/o needing another monitor. explorer does not have the amps to run the mini/compact camera head, so you will be looking at an lcd pak or dvd pak with this setup.

if you want a lower cost solution for now and now alone, compact or micro reel/explorer will do, but I'd steer you to the compact as you are primarily in 4". mini is more $ but gives you expandability, flexability, more distance, and ability to reterm and still have a useful length of cable. you have to decide if that is worth the extra $, but mini'd be my advice if you could swing it. I have three of them and they rock the dance floor. and as you get known for doing camera/locate work, that'll pick up and you'll be able to add the extra reels later when you need them as they'll work with your mini monitor.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I miss my Mini reel. It goes two hundred feet and it not an ox. The wheels on the bigger reel come in handy. It still nicer to have the Mini. I have seen some deals on ridgid stuff on ebay. I do like a bigger screen. You cant have it all, unless your Rick. I have found people like the DVD vs VHS. There are a couple of units in our area. Most are black and white. I think having color and more recording options will help get the video work. I just paid off my LCD DVD it took 6 months to come up with the ten grand worth of video work. A locator is a must with a see snake in my eyes.
                Last edited by DANE; 03-25-2010, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Good thread I am looking at setting up another truck with all new equipment.
                  Was debating on which cameras to get looks like the standard sea snake and the mini are the preferred option.

Comment

Ive been very happy with my mini colour seesnake.

It goes down 90mm storm water drains no problems and is great in 100mm even goes round gulley traps with use of 65mm guide tube I made up.

One day I may get the standard unit but the mini has been great and not let me down yet. I think if I had got the bigger one I would not have been able to do some of the 90mm work or got round traps in 100mm which is a large percentage of my work.

Cheers Phil.

Comment

I love my Micro Reel, but would not consider it as my go to camera for 4" lines. I find that it does not sufficiently illuminate 4" dark piping (ABS, cast iron) to get a real clear picture. As well, it is very easy to get the camera to turn back on itself when pushing through some fittings in 4". I'll still use it for 4" on occasion, but have to struggle to see the picture due to under-illumination and this is with the camera lights turned all the way up 100% and using a ball guide. It's hard to get everything you want in one package. This is why I have 4 different camera snakes on my truck. If I had to pick one as a starter, I would go with the Mini Seesnake.
                      Last edited by Dakota; 03-27-2010, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Phill
                        Thanks for the info
                        cheers
                        Greg

Comment

I have the seesnake and the mini seesnake
                          I purchased the micro reel last week and am suitably impressed, so much so that I am going to leave the mini at home.
                          I pushed the micro through 4 40mm x 90 degree bends to locate a FWG that the tiler had tilled over.
                          I also used the micro in a four inch line on Friday from pulling a pan and pushing it down into the main line about 6metres.
                          Did I mention that it works well and I am very happy with it.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
                            I love my Micro Reel, but would not consider it as my go to camera for 4" lines. I find that it does not sufficiently illuminate 4" dark piping (ABS, cast iron) to get a real clear picture. As well, it is very easy to get the camera to turn back on itself when pushing through some fittings in 4". I'll still use it for 4" on occasion, but have to struggle to see the picture due to under-illumination and this is with the camera lights turned all the way up 100% and using a ball guide. It's hard to get everything you want in one package. This is why I have 4 different camera snakes on my truck. If I had to pick one as a starter, I would go with the Mini Seesnake.
                            To correct my own earlier post I should make this amendment: The Micro Reel is my go to camera for most everything. It is awesome! Sometimes I can't quite see well enough in 4" and up dark piping (I use the Micro Explorer) and will break out another camera system. But, in reality it is the first camera I grab when I just want to get one down the line quick to see what is going on.

I just did a job with it today where I had to run it out 89' in 4" through a C/O and four 90s. With each 90 I pushed through I started to wonder if I would be able to push it out as far as I needed. To my surprise it did it no problem which was impressive.

This snake will not replace the mini or plus but it is sure tempting to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              I think you'd want the bigger/stouter pushrod on the compact and mini.... compact and mini share the same pushrod and camera head.
                              In terms of push cable, the Compact and microReel use the same cable; the only difference is the color of the outer jacket.

FYI, if you have a microReel, you can purchase a microDrain drum kit for times when you need to negotiate very tight turns (toilet fixtures, for example).

Comment

Working...
                              X