X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 watt vs 10 watt

I used my buddies 10 watt pack today. I think my 5 watt pack is going down the road. Any thought if you had to get a new pack for tracing.

Re: 5 watt vs 10 watt

i got the 5 watt, gotta be ideal conditions to use. is the 10 watt much better?

Comment

It seems easier to trace. Does more power make it easier find. I just didnt have great luck with the brick.

Comment

What are you locating? Which locator? What are the settings on the transmitter?

Just asking to try and help.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
          I used my buddies 10 watt pack today. I think my 5 watt pack is going down the road. Any thought if you had to get a new pack for tracing.
          The extra power can help out in when the resistance of your circuit is high, the utility is deep, or you need to push the signal farther down the line. You can find training tutorials that cover circuits and other locating topics here: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Utility-...g/EN/index.htm

If you energize the line inductively fairly often then you might want to consider the ST-33Q. It puts out 10 watts and uses an antenna that generates 10X more signal inductively than conventional transmitters.
          http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/ST33Q-Li...r/EN/index.htm

Guy
          Last edited by irguy; 03-25-2010, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I was using the 33 with the 10 watt pack on a tracer wire for a gas line. I have used the brick and thought it didnt worked as well as the 10 watt unit. What the rest of the worlds thought. This line was 100ft or so.

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
              I was using the 33 with the 10 watt pack on a tracer wire for a gas line. I have used the brick and thought it didnt worked as well as the 10 watt unit. What the rest of the worlds thought. This line was 100ft or so.
              I haven't had any problems with the brick in the scenario you describe. Good signal throughout. Usually LESS than 100' is all I've ran into though.

What settings were you using on the brick? Set it at the lowest Khz to travel farther.

Located yesterday with the inductive clamp on Time Warner and the signal was great. Once again, this was only about 50' or so.

Depends on what you're doing I suppose.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by irguy View Post

If you energize the line inductively fairly often then you might want to consider the ST-33Q. It puts out 10 watts and uses an antenna that generates 10X more signal inductively than conventional transmitters.
                ST-33Q Line Transmitter - RIDGID Professional Tools

Guy
                Guy is the st-33q 10x more than my ridgid 10 watt? I have read the ST-33q was great for inductive? Am I going to notice anything better coming from the 10watt?
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I recently bought the ST-510. It is 3 for 3 in locating for me so far. Going to use it to help bid 8 townhouse building water line replacement this week. I found it to be a great tool already.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                    Guy is the st-33q 10x more than my ridgid 10 watt? I have read the ST-33q was great for inductive? Am I going to notice anything better coming from the 10watt?
                    The ST33Q and ST510 can both generate up to 10 watts of output power; you will only notice a difference in signal output when the transmitters are broadcasting inductively using their built-in antenna. In inductive mode the ST33Q's highly optimized antenna will generate a signal that is up to 10x stronger.

Comment

I very rarely drop the box on things, I use my inductive clamp. So it sounds like I don't need the new model. It looks easier to use with the button setup. I have to hold buttons to do different features.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Here in NC, utilities are required to be at least 3' bury. The local utility contractors, manicipalities, and "locators for the most part use 5 watt. The city goes blocks at a time for locating so that was the size I picked up. Aside from tracing out long runs of copper water lines it has been a blessing and a breeze.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • conductor fault locating
                        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                        X