X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating water services

I just bought the Ridgid 10 watt to go with my Scout. Is it easy to tell when a copper water line tee's? I bought this for doing gas and water service lines if it works out I will buy the sr22 I think.
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Locating water services

Hey Cuda, if its not too much of a problem can you list the frequencies on your transmitter. Jus tlike to compare the ones yo have and the ones they say we are alowed to have over here

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      Is it easy to tell when a copper water line tee's?
      You would likely notice two things when a line Tees in:
      - Distortion
      - A drop in current

In the attached example, the line that you're connected to (A) has two lines that tee into it (B & C). Keeping in mind that the signal will take the path of least resistance to ground:
      - B isn't well grounded, so only a small amount of signal is diverted onto it.
      - C is well grounded and quite a bit of signal flows onto it.

Note that the signal is noticeably weaker when it splits onto line C. I drew this as a 50/50 split for the purpose of illustration ONLY -- how much splits onto each line will vary depending on conditions. But you get the idea: if the line that ties in has a good path to ground, you'll notice that the current will drop. Please note that I said CURRENT. The main signal reading (upper left corner of LCD) on newer receivers (SR-20, SR-60, NaviTrack 2) is the Proximity Signal and is based on how close the signal is, not how strong it is, so you'll need to make sure you're looking at the Signal Strength and Current readings if you suspect there may be a Tee.

In terms of distortion, you'll notice that the signal pretty much stays on line A where A and B connect. But the signal isn't nearly as neat and clean where A and C connect, and this will show up as distortion. Again, how much distortion depends on the frequency you're using (higher = more, lower = less) and how much signal flows onto the line that tees in.

Bottom line is that you have to really be attentive to what your instrument is telling you and keep an eye out for a sudden drop in current or distortion in a particular area.

I would think that the point where B ties in would be very difficult to see. That's why it's so important to look for topside indicators. If there's any reason to suspect that there may be a tee, then look for it. What you may need to do is move 20 - 30 feet off the main line so that the instrument can see the weaker signal.

If you're going to do much line locating, then you definitely need to demo the SR-20 and/or SR-60, because they are really geared for this. Once you use an SR-20/60 you will feel blind with anything else.

For more information, check out the multimedia tutorials here: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Utility-...g/EN/index.htm
      You can find the SR-60 user video here: http://www.youtube.com/user/seektech

Guy
      Attached Files
      Last edited by irguy; 04-06-2010, 10:44 AM. Reason: Add link

Comment

Thanks, another question, why are the alligator clips not a little bigger?
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

If I had to guess I'd say that a size was chosen that would work well most of the time without being so large that they get in the way. Besides, however large the clips, you'll always need larger ones at some point, so...

- Most techs carry vicegrips, and those make great clamps
          - The clips are magnetized so that they can be used where clamping on isn't otherwise possible (note the scraper teeth for prepping the surface)

Pics attached.

Guy
          Attached Files

Comment

Wondering if you've reviewed this? It was kind of put in the wrong place but was wondering if you could address the original posters' questions. And make sure I have not given any misinformation.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31964

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Wondering if you've reviewed this? It was kind of put in the wrong place but was wondering if you could address the original posters' questions. And make sure I have not given any misinformation.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31964
              Thanks for the heads-up! I think that between us he has the info. he needs to make an informed decision.

Guy

Comment

The Ridgid moron who designed the alligator clips on the locators should be sacked as he doesn't get out into the field and seems not to know the size of pipes that are encounted by plumbers in the real world.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                  The Ridgid moron who designed the alligator clips on the locators should be sacked as he doesn't get out into the field and seems not to know the size of pipes that are encounted by plumbers in the real world.

Tony
                  What are you talking about? All the locating manufacturers I've seen have the same size clips or even smaller ones.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    What are you talking about? All the locating manufacturers I've seen have the same size clips or even smaller ones.

J.C.
                    My God J.C. and I don`t mean Jesus Christ you must have got out of the wrong side of your bed today as you really have it in for me tonight their larger in Australia as the rust on most water pipes you are tracing does not allow the magnetized ridgid clip to stick to the pipe and allow the tracing current from my Navitrack Brick to go through the pipe and the jaws of the clip are to small to grab onto the pipe but this is what I thought this forum was all about to express ones idea but evidenty not in your view.

Tony

Comment

My God J.C. and I don`t mean Jesus Christ you must have got out of the wrong side of your bed today as you really have it in for me tonight
                      I have it in for you too -- so is there a line or a list I can get on or is it just first-come first-served?

But seriously, it would be very helpful if you could post a pic here so we can get an idea of what you're dealing with. I'd rather take the picture myself, of course, but a field trip Down Under might be a tough sell. Besides, are morons even allowed in Australia?

Guy

Comment

the clips are pretty aggressive with the teeth design. of course the ground rod it comes with is 1/4'' and the clip has no problem with that. so then the other clip has to open to fit the water line.

i usually attach it to a valve stem. of course if you really need to you could by the inductive clamp.

or just buy a $2.00 spring clamp and attach the clip to the spring clamp when needed

do i need to pack the bags and go there to show you

need to pick joey up at the airport saturday. i can go, and she can then pick me up the following week

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

My God J.C. and I don`t mean Jesus Christ you must have got out of the wrong side of your bed today as you really have it in for me tonight their larger in Australia as the rust on most water pipes you are tracing does not allow the magnetized ridgid clip to stick to the pipe and allow the tracing current from my Navitrack Brick to go through the pipe and the jaws of the clip are to small to grab onto the pipe but this is what I thought this forum was all about to express ones idea but evidenty not in your view.

Tony
                          Don't know what you're talking about here either about "my view".

I have read the literature and have seen in person different transmitters and none of them I've seen have large clips that would connect to say....3/4" pipe. Just understood that it was common knowledge to vise-grip-adapt if you wanted a direct connect on something larger than the clips could.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by irguy View Post
                            I have it in for you too -- so is there a line or a list I can get on or is it just first-come first-served?

But seriously, it would be very helpful if you could post a pic here so we can get an idea of what you're dealing with. I'd rather take the picture myself, of course, but a field trip Down Under might be a tough sell. Besides, are morons even allowed in Australia?

Guy
                            IR you are quite a cluey guy and downunder some of us appreciate this. I have read it before here that in basic terms we should leave any differences at the door. Downunder, as you guys love to call us, we arent really all that bad. Got lots to offer and heaps to share. However, in saying this I fully respect that you guys have exactly the same, lots to offer and heaps to share. It is always good coming here and as one of the members says the "stupid question is the one you dont ask" so there you go, thumbs up from downunder. Oh, by the way, if you allow Rick to come downunder he has to promise to save up the stories and relax for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by irguy View Post

Guy
                              Here you are some pictures of pipe clips from Australian pipe locators I have

Tony
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X