X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hole in 1

had an interesting camera inspection today.

new customer had a stoppage yesterday that the other drain guy had a hard time clearing and ran a camera with no video or locator told them the line needs repairing. yet no video or locate to go by.

so the property manager calls me today to do a proper camera inspection.

i meet the renter there and run my seesnake mini 68' to hit standing water. try to push further and dead ended in at 70' use my scout to locate the camera in the front lawn by sidewalk 2'9'' deep. marked it and asked the renter why the dead spot at my mark

he's lived there 18 months and said that before he moved in there was a 4'' hole pretty deep in the ground there said that he understands that a drilling company accidentally drilled a soil sample there before he moved in. he had the owners gardener fill it up back then.

so in the 18 months he's rented there, he's had 2 stoppages of the main.

i'm under the impression that the line was hit by the drilling company. so he calls the owner in hawaii and asks for their recollection.

apparently the new house 3 doors down needed soil samples for the grading inspector prior to building the new house and had the wrong address

so now my locate and the renters recollection makes sense.

monday i go back to dig it up and take photos of the underground.

this is the mark i made for the time being.

rick.

location was spot on as i hit the pipe with my probe.

notice the dead spot at the flag. that's the old core hole that they never re-sodded. only fill with gravel and dirt.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-24-2010, 12:55 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: hole in 1

I have just finished a 6 week trainng course with my plumbers. One of the main things I taught them was to take time diagnosing the problem just like Rick has with the tenant. If you use these 3 words 3 times during diagnonis time "tell me more" you will be suprised just how much more valuable information you will collect from your customer making your job that much easier! Try and use their name at least 8 times as well and ask for their permission before you do anything. The extra respect you give them directly relates to the extra respect they give you and how much they will spend with you!
    Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

i always ask questions and listen to the answers, and other stuff, the client says, sometimes it makes a lot of difference

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
        I have just finished a 6 week trainng course with my plumbers. One of the main things I taught them was to take time diagnosing the problem just like Rick has with the tenant. If you use these 3 words 3 times during diagnonis time "tell me more" you will be suprised just how much more valuable information you will collect from your customer making your job that much easier! Try and use their name at least 8 times as well and ask for their permission before you do anything. The extra respect you give them directly relates to the extra respect they give you and how much they will spend with you!

Bill, as you already know the homeowner usually cant wait to give you the diagnosis. Amazing how they alwys seem to give us just enough to find out that someone has been there before us and they are out of their depth. That Big Green Shed(Bunnings) is usually good for business too.

Comment

so i dug it up today to expose the hole in 1.

the drilling company is more accurate than my scout locator they hit it dead center at 2'9'' deep after boring through very heavy roots. fortunately the abs was older solid core and didn't crack. i was able to dig out all the debris to expose the hole with bricks and rocks blocking the path.

this is what happened based on the sequence of events.

soil sample was suppose to be 115 south and they drill a single hole at 105 south. after pulling the for rent sign 4x4 post, they drilled right where the sign was as to not damage the lawn but as luck would have it they were 3 doors off and dead center on the sewer.

once they realized they were at the wrong address, they backfilled the hole with sand. creating the first stoppage about 2 years ago. the line was snaked and the water kept the sand flowing down stream. as the ground settled and sand washed away, the gardner started to fill te sink hole with bricks and rocks. it was the brick that actually stopped up this line.

rick.

open pipe with the brick dropped in. after i dug down to the level.

nice round hole. nice heavy roots i had to get through.

hole in 1

no eating chile when i'm digging

new 4'' abs comby with 2 fernco bands to allow me to glue the comby and add in the 13'' filler piece. riser is temporay cap to allow for backfilling and compaction.

the new cleanout is pretty much where the hole was. i use no water in backfilling and keep the lawn about 1/2'' high after compaction.

this is the pine tree that had the roots i needed to dig through.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-27-2010, 01:33 AM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

are you using any thing to compact ? I have heard about using water doesn't it just make a huge muddy mess. Looks like a awesome little job oh yea did you need a permit rick? haha Baltimore county wants me to get a post card on something like this.
            Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 04-27-2010, 06:24 AM.

Comment

this one i used a tamper/ 8'' x 8'' plate with wood handle and lots of hand pounding

most important and usually the area i see problems with others is the lack of proper compaction under the piping and repair. this causes the repaired section to settle and turns out worse than the initial cause of the repair.

it's one thing if the ditch settles, but you don't want the repair to settle.

water will just cause the whole ditch to settle. it came out with some moisture and goes back in with that moisture. i'll use water at the finished lawn to help clean the surface.

on larger jobs, i'll bring out my gas jumping jack tamper.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Around here we are required to have compacted stone under, around and above the pipe.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Around here we are required to have compacted stone under, around and above the pipe.

That's not a bad idea. At least under the pipe. When I make a repair I try to use crushed rock under the pipe.
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

The guy I use to work with would pile rocks under the pipe !!!! The day I told my old boss I started my own business I had to meet him and the guy mr. Rock pile r ha ha at septic system job . Guess what he did not compact the soil and the 4" P.V.C. broke and backed up the main and did we compact the repair NO! Glad I am out of their I don't know why my old boss put up with that crap? I asked about the water because he told me or someone did that you should water the backfill to settle it? Doesn't code give instruction on compaction of backfill? Good point to use water to clean yard!

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;294268]so i dug it up today to expose the hole in 1.

the drilling company is more accurate than my scout locator they hit it dead center at 2'9'' deep after boring through very heavy roots. fortunately the abs was older solid core and didn't crack. i was able to dig out all the debris to expose the hole with bricks and rocks blocking the path.

this is what happened based on the sequence of events.

soil sample was suppose to be 115 south and they drill a single hole at 105 south. after pulling the for rent sign 4x4 post, they drilled right where the sign was as to not damage the lawn but as luck would have it they were 3 doors off and dead center on the sewer.

once they realized they were at the wrong address, they backfilled the hole with sand. creating the first stoppage about 2 years ago. the line was snaked and the water kept the sand flowing down stream. as the ground settled and sand washed away, the gardner started to fill te sink hole with bricks and rocks. it was the brick that actually stopped up this line.

rick.

the new cleanout is pretty much where the hole was. i use no water in backfilling and keep the lawn about 1/2'' high after compaction.

Rick

Now that's a job of the old school a real pro cutting out the lawn sods and putting them to one side and reinstating them when finished and making it look like you were never there exactly the way I do it as its scary.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X