X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other options

We have been looking into getting a sewer camera for awhile now. Since it's such a HUGE expense, I'm really big on reviews and pay close attention to what other Plumbers/Drain tech's say about different manufactures.

With that said, some here have had problems with the "see snake" and was wondering what other brands you guys like as far as "self leveling" cameras go. But to be fair to "ridgid" there are a lot of features I do like, but I know my father will blow a gasket if we keep having to send it out for repair all the time.

I've only used a sewer camera once (rented) and it was a dream to use. We have been getting a lot of calls lately to cam a line, but because we don't have one, we can't do the job. Plus one of our area's are requiring their residents to have their sewer line cammed before they sell their home, and I don't want to miss out on that.

For those of you who do a lot of video inspections, what other brands do you like?

Re: Other options

I have used many other brands. Eel, General,Spartan None of them can compare to the SeeSnake. The SeeSnakes are very tough and durable. Yes there are a few posts about some issues with the DVDPak, and one guy is breaking his pushrod, A reterm does not take away 40' of push rod unless the pushrod is broken. I will admit when I first got my camera I broke my pushrod due to inexperience. But I learned from my mistake and have not broken it since. I have worn it out in all the cast iron lines I televise, but that is normal wear and tear. Just like cables for your drain machines they need to be replaced once you wear them out.

The camera heads themselves are the toughest in the industry. And that is one of the key points you want when you purchase a system. You do not want to be having a camera head repaired or replaced on a regaler basis.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

What did the push rod set you back price wise?

Comment

A new 200' push rod ran me right around 2k. But only had to buy it once. I still have it sitting in the shop, this was before I know I could of had it retermed, I would only lose about 30' so I still will have 170' of pushrod.

So once I wear this one I am using out I will get that one retermed and use it.

Comment

my very first camera 15 years ago is a seesnake, pre ridgid blue. still works, but i retired it for a color camera. my next one was the mini seesnake 200'. still have that, but retired it for a color camera. then i tried a few cameras from other companies. those are also retired as they suck.
          then i bought a few more seesnakes to update my collection. still have a couple new ones that haven't seen a pipe yet.

the reason being is the seesnakes don't break. i can only imagine how many miles and miles i've pushed my cameras. when you own them, you treat them better than employees. so therefore i've never broken a push rod or needed a re-term.

the recorders are actually more delicate than the cameras. the dvdpak is great as it's a sony burner inside. i have 2 new extra burners so that they will pop right in if i ever need to repair/ replace one. but i also have the lt1000 that uses a laptop and eliminates the recorder.

you will be making a big mistake getting anything but a seesnake. that i can guarantee.

save some money and don't get the self leveling. no need for it. plus it only comes in the full size model. plus with the lt1000, you can electronically rotate the image.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I'm surprised you don't like the self leveling. I thought maybe everyone would love to have that feature on their camera.

So I take the "push rod" is the actual line itself that you push down the drain?

What are the ways I can screw up the pushrod? If I do screw it up, can I send it in to have some of it cut off? How long and how much abuse can the pushrod take?

What do you guys do if you have trouble getting around a fitting?

We really don't get into anything bigger than 4"..what camera would you guys suggest for me to look at?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Rick, I'm surprised you don't like the self leveling. I thought maybe everyone would love to have that feature on their camera.
              that is a newer feature and i always run a little water to keep the line clean and tell me what way is up. they are more delicate and as far as i'm concerned, not necessary.
              So I take the "push rod" is the actual line itself that you push down the drain?

yes, it's the rod that connects the camera to the reel.

What are the ways I can screw up the pushrod? If I do screw it up, can I send it in to have some of it cut off? How long and how much abuse can the pushrod take?

standard 200' is plenty. very difficult to push past 200' when you have turns and rough pipe. but if you damage a cable, then that section gets cut off. the 325' model is a lot more money.

What do you guys do if you have trouble getting around a fitting?

run lots of water and use a jabbing motion with a running start. also a slight rotation will help. but lots of water is the best.

We really don't get into anything bigger than 4"..what camera would you guys suggest for me to look at?
              200' mini seesnake will be perfect for you.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The one time I snapped my pushrod, 17 years ago, I had to much slack between me and the clean out while trying to make a turn in a line and I buckled the pushrod and snapped it.

After that I learned real quick short jabbing motions with minimal slack between me and the clean out. Never broke a push rod since. As I said I have worn through the push rod jackets after 1000's of feet of cast iron pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  The one time I snapped my pushrod, 17 years ago, I had to much slack between me and the clean out while trying to make a turn in a line and I buckled the pushrod and snapped it.

After that I learned real quick short jabbing motions with minimal slack between me and the clean out. Never broke a push rod since. As I said I have worn through the push rod jackets after 1000's of feet of cast iron pipe.
                  I can just close my eyes now, and hear my Italian father screaming if I break this thing. Doesn't matter that I'm almost 38 years old...there is some tough loving in my household still!

Ratz, whats your opinion on the self leveling camera?

Comment

Just like many, I want to get most value for myself. And try to do homework just as you are because it is no secret that Ridgid's camera line has a higher pricepoint than some competitors.

Makes it very tempting to use a competitor. However, as you've read, many have tried others and prefer the Ridgid line. Evaluate where your at and where your going because others have shown that the extra cost might be worth it.

And honestly, I think the best reason to lean toward a Ridgid product is that not only do you have good "normal" customer service, but you also have guys talking shop here that have seen most of the ins and outs of the products.

So they can help you more than anywhere else. Plus the current overseer of the forum is also head of SeeSnake product development and takes a peek in weekly & is very willing to help.

The other companies haven't done any of this yet.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

JC, do you have a cam?

Comment

JC, do you have a cam?
                        J.C.'s too cheap to eat enough. I use a garden hose, some sticks, mirrors and ductape.

J.C.

Comment

I can just close my eyes now, and hear my Italian father screaming if I break this thing. Doesn't matter that I'm almost 38 years old...there is some tough loving in my household still!

Ratz, whats your opinion on the self leveling camera?
                          In all honesty, I feel there is no need for a self leveling camera. As Rick pointed out you run water, and you will be able to see the bottom of the pipe. Also the LT1000 will allow you to rotate the picture. You can even use the MicroExplorer with the digital adapter and the MicroExplorer will digitally level the picture for you as well.

Comment

remember the self leveling only comes in the full size seesnake. meaning that unless you're planning on doing 2-8'' pipe, i would rather see you get the mini seesnake and do 1.25-6'' pipe.

plus it's less money and a smaller platform to work with.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              remember the self leveling only comes in the full size seesnake. meaning that unless you're planning on doing 2-8'' pipe, i would rather see you get the mini seesnake and do 1.25-6'' pipe.

plus it's less money and a smaller platform to work with.

rick.
                              Was checking prices online, but I'm going to call a few supply houses tomorrow. We need to get the ball rolling here as we are letting work go for not having one.

Comment

Working...
                              X