X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 ways to break your camera.

I would like to see the most popular ways plumbers break their camera's. Seen more broken or disfunctional than not. But then again is it the minions or the equipments fault.

One that I have seen was a guy trying to clear the blockage with the camera and thus kinked his line.

Re: 10 ways to break your camera.

Since you already listed 1 here is another big one.

> Trying to push that extra couple of feet down the line by jamming the cable into the drain from to far away from the opening. (end up kinking it over the edge of the cleanout)

Comment

Pushrod Double Dutch.

J.C.

Comment

By the way, guess this is as good a place as anywhere to post what you can do to limit abrasion on the pushrod.

I keep a few different size Ferncos with me. Put one on the vent your going to run about halfway on & it gives you a soft lip.

Been thinking of getting a couple of push gaskets to place in cleanouts for the same reason.

(Maybe everyone has been doing the same for years. )

Anything to gain some advantage.

J.C.

Comment

Loan it to someone.

Use it outdoors in weather.

Trip over the reel-montor wire.

Be too lazy to take it out the line while you jet or run your cable.

Skip lunch or otherwise work too much and get tired so you take shortcuts and get clumsy (see 3 and 4 above).
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Walk away from it for 2 minutes with my helper standing next to it

Have it double back on you while pushing it through a deep 3" trap (currently having the Microreel reterminated because of this)

Comment

Letting someone that didn't pay for the camera operate the camera.
              My biggest competition has me do all their cam/locate.
              I've never asked why but I can only assume they got tired of paying for repairs due to employees that just didn't care.

Not communicating with excavator operator.
              I was about 1/8 of a second from getting mine ripped out when the excavator operator that was digging ripped right through the lateral.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

double backed today on a 4" cast 2 way c.o (the one with the triangle in the middle cant remember name today) went down vertical about 36" then saw push rod on moniter almost had a hart attack right there thought for sure kink but pulled back fine..round two found roots in cast iron crack on top for about 6 feet sold dig, spot repair ,ollyander removal and backfill for wed... love the mirco very durable....but never broke one.

Comment

you need to use common sense. never broke a push rod.

abrasion is your worst enemy. especially on a threaded clean out tee.

always protect your cable from the edge of the pipe or threads. this will eat up your cable.

a simple trick is nothing more than a plastic cup/ slurpee cup with the bottom cut off. this will act as a funnel and keep you from scraping the cover off the cable. even a small section of pvc flex hose to protect the cable.

always monitor your camera. when you see your spring or cable on the monitor, stop you're starting to double back.

there are plenty more things to watch out for, but these are the 2 that will make you cry if you don't

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

See this one quite a bit too

> Forgetting to pull the camera out before you chop through the line with a saw.

Comment

I did not do this to a camera but I have seen it done. Cut through with a Sawzall, ripped out of the sewer by a backhoe.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Don't get me started!

My plumbers think their Ridgid camera's are waterproof

I then ask them....would you get your $2,000 plasma tv and use it outside in the rain? So why do it to my $12,000 Ridgid Camera gear?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Our first Ridgid camera was the large style, B&W. The plumber placed it next to the jetter muffler. Next job was a jet. The heat from the muffler melted the camera reel to the deck. The insurance company would not cover it because it was insured for 'fire and theft'. It melted didn't it, no fire involved!

Kinks, cut while in the drain with demo saw, grated on steel edge, broken sonde from going through gully traps, burst saphire crystal lens from being too close to the jetter, dragged behind truck along highway when not rolled up properly, etc.

Does enyone remember the Ridgid demonstration years ago at the Opryland show where the camera was set up in a clear tube, raised then dropped face first continually to show how durable it was? You don't see this type of demonstration anymore but it was the reason I purchased my first Ridgid camera instead of the competition....never looked back!
                        Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post

Does enyone remember the Ridgid demonstration years ago at the Opryland show where the camera was set up in a clear tube, raised then dropped face first continually to show how durable it was? You don't see this type of demonstration anymore but it was the reason I purchased my first Ridgid camera instead of the competition....never looked back!
                          I remember when the reals where blue and the guys at the booth took the camera that is plugged in and working just fine, and beat it as hard as they can on the concrete floor. Then they told us go ask any of the other guys to do this with their camera. When you asked the guys at Serco, Spartan, Radiodetection, Scooter, UMSI, all of the others at the show, they responded with "Are you CRAZY!?!?! It would break the camera!"

Then the next year I went to the show, there was one other guy beating it on the concrete floor, but it was not attached to a real or monitor. When asked to prove it still works his excuse was they forgot the patch cord. So I ended up buying a SeeSnake that year and have never looked back. They are the toughest of cameras out there. It takes a lot to break it
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I once purchased a new 300 foot color camera. I wanted the extra 100 feet so I had enough cable to do any job with it. Even to tow it with my jetter between manholes. I was so proud, it was beautiful!!!!!!!!!
                            As it turns out I needed the camera on the very first call, Monday morning.
                            It worked great, I used the locator to find the exact spot of root intrusion. I promptly made a VHS tape of the problem ( this is in 1996 ). I talk to the customer and he decides to do the sewer repair. Everything went great.
                            I leave for another job, two hour later, I get a telephone call that my locating ability was dead on, in fact he had proof. he cut the pipe exactly where I said but forgot to remove the camera. He cut the spring along with the locator in half! I said alot of very bad words.
                            Needless to say, I had a few beers that night.

Comment

Originally posted by easycamrick View Post
                              I once purchased a new 300 foot color camera. I wanted the extra 100 feet so I had enough cable to do any job with it. Even to tow it with my jetter between manholes. I was so proud, it was beautiful!!!!!!!!!
                              As it turns out I needed the camera on the very first call, Monday morning.
                              It worked great, I used the locator to find the exact spot of root intrusion. I promptly made a VHS tape of the problem ( this is in 1996 ). I talk to the customer and he decides to do the sewer repair. Everything went great.
                              I leave for another job, two hour later, I get a telephone call that my locating ability was dead on, in fact he had proof. he cut the pipe exactly where I said but forgot to remove the camera. He cut the spring along with the locator in half! I said alot of very bad words.
                              Needless to say, I had a few beers that night.
                              Why did you leave your camera in the line and go to another job???
                              The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X