X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MicroExporer Saved Time and Money

Had a job at a condo where we had to shut down the water to the building to change out some stems to a unit. When the water was turned back on, a leak happened to spring up in a wall of another unit.

We where able to hear the water in the wall but was unsure where about the leak was. I was able to feed the camera head between the hot water supply into the wall from under the kitchen and locate the leak in no time. The trouble is the owner of this condo just put in all new kitchen cabinets. Since I was able to pinpoint the leak we figured out removing the lavatory vanity and opening the wall will give me access to the leaking pipe. The condo owner was pleased, the maintenance guy for the condo association was pleased, and I am happy to have been able to make this repair with out making a huge mess.

In the past before we had camera's like the MicroExplorer, we open up the wall above the vanity or kitchen sink which ever had the least amount of tile to damage, and stick our heads in the wall to see if the leak was above us or below the hole we made.

I give the MicroExplorer an A+ for ease of use and such a crystal clear picture of the problem. Wish I had this tool years ago.

Sorry no pictures this time around, but I will be sure to take some good ones the next job.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: MicroExporer Saved Time and Money

can't wait to use mine.Just got it.
    May be hitting you guys up for some tips.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      can't wait to use mine.Just got it.
      May be hitting you guys up for some tips.
      Adam I would of thought for sure you would of had one by now. You will love it, it has saved me a lot of time.

I also been using it for non-plumbing jobs. I have gotten into GeoCaching, and some of the caches are well hidden. So I bust out the MicroExpolorer and use it to snoop around in tight spaces and spots where I am squimish about sticking my hand in first. For those of you that do not know what GeoCaching is here is a short video for you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4VFe...layer_embedded

Comment

Used mine the other day to take a peek inside a water heater. Took a couple of pics and showed them to the homeowner.

I usually am not one to promote sales tools. I do have to say that a MicroExplorer is a good sales tool because you can take a picture or make a movie of what's going on to show the customer and get their approval.

Makes them much more comfortable when they see the problem and know why you have to do what you have to do.

It's also kinda' funny peoples reactions to it.

Men say it's a "handy thing."
        Women say it's the "neatest little thing."
        Teenagers say it's the "coolest thing."

Funny to me.

J.C.

Comment

I have not used it as a sales tool yet. But that is a great idea to stick into a water heater. I have used it a half dozen times to find pin hole leaks on water supples. My customers love the fact I only needed to make a small hole to get the head of the camera into the walls and locate the leak and only open enough wall needed to make a repair.

I also have the digital adapter for my MicroExplorer that I been using with one of my SeeSnake camera reel. Taking a snap shot of the problem area with the digital adapter did help the customer visualize the problem and make the right choice to make a repair. Hey I guess I am using it as a sales tool in a way. Just in my eyes the customer knew there is a problem but wanted to be sure by seeing is believing kind of deal.

My father seen me use this to help me track down the leak at the Condo and was so impressed, and commented that he wish he had these back in the day.

I do need to hire Rick's camera person to take pictures of me working though

Comment

tell us more about geocaching. what't the best thing you found? what have you left? how long to locate with the gps?

i've sort of done it with the sesnake and scout. i give the homeowner the footage and tell them to go find my camera with the green flag. of course i home in with the scout and plant the flag on the spot. haven't lost yet

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              I have not used it as a sales tool yet. But that is a great idea to stick into a water heater. I have used it a half dozen times to find pin hole leaks on water supples. My customers love the fact I only needed to make a small hole to get the head of the camera into the walls and locate the leak and only open enough wall needed to make a repair.

I also have the digital adapter for my MicroExplorer that I been using with one of my SeeSnake camera reel. Taking a snap shot of the problem area with the digital adapter did help the customer visualize the problem and make the right choice to make a repair. Hey I guess I am using it as a sales tool in a way. Just in my eyes the customer knew there is a problem but wanted to be sure by seeing is believing kind of deal.

My father seen me use this to help me track down the leak at the Condo and was so impressed, and commented that he wish he had these back in the day.

I do need to hire Rick's camera person to take pictures of me working though
              REMEMBER TO GET THE TEMPERATURE OF THE WATER COOLER IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON SUBMERGING IT.

And if you are looking into a just emptied heater you might have to put in some cold water to get the atmosphere in there cooler also.

Can be steamy.

J.C.

Comment

Some Geo-Caches I would have in hand with in minutes after finding ground zero (GZ). There are others I am still trying to find, some of these people that place these caches do an amazing job hiding them. For a while I been leaving a Golden Dollar in the caches that I have found, I also been leaving a stuffed toy rat in the larger caches. There is a few cool and odd caches around here. One has DVD movies in it to trade, so if you take one you have to leave one. The Strange one was full of cassette tapes just labeled 1 - 50.

I Have used my SeeSnake and my locater to locate peoples sewers many of times. I had a lady that was told by the electric company that they are coming through with a new service in her area, and JULIE (our underground locating company) does not locate private water and sewer lines, so if they hit it they are not responsible for the repair. She hired me to locate her water and sewer. As I was laying down the green paint and flags she asked me if I was sure the sewer was there. The sewer was only 42" deep so I took out my probe and pushed it in till she heard me tap on it in the clean out. She was pretty amazed.

Comment

Working...
                X