X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Skids

Here is one of our latest camera skids that we carry. For those of you not familiar with a front camera skid. This not only helps your camera stay visible when the water level gets too high in the pipe, but it also helps keep the camera head from getting scratched up. Those of you who have owned seesnakes for a long time will see overtime the front lens will scratch specifcally around the light ring causing the picture to become dull. A lot of other companies have front camera skids, so we decided a couple of years ago to start making them to fit the ridgid cameras as well as some others. We started making them out of plastic which works great, but recently we decided to make them out of alluminum for durability and protection of these high dollar camera heads. We make the camera skids in various sizes to fit different brands. The alluminum skids when we start manufacturing them will be made primarily for 2-4" pipe. However for larger pipe we will probably continue to make the skids out of plastic do to the weight of alluminum. We have posted some pictures of one of the alluminum skids on the black and white seesnake mini camera. Any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at 18009505023. Look forward to hearing everyones feedback and questions. Thanks Terry!!
    Attached Files

Re: Camera Skids

Looks good.

Will the grub screws damage the camera head? Looks like if it were screwed on tight it could damage it.

I like the idea because I have noticed on my colour mini that the plastic around the leds is scratched up pretty badly and I have thought that this must be affecting how well it works.

Can the plastic be replaced so I get back to a brighter picture?

Cheers Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by epc View Post
      Looks good.

Will the grub screws damage the camera head? Looks like if it were screwed on tight it could damage it.

I like the idea because I have noticed on my colour mini that the plastic around the leds is scratched up pretty badly and I have thought that this must be affecting how well it works.

Can the plastic be replaced so I get back to a brighter picture?

Cheers Phil.
      I have used a light buffing compound to buff out the scratches when they get to bad. They just affect the lighting not the picture quality The lens in front of the camera is a sapphire lens which is very unlikely to scratch.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The allen screws on the camera skids have nylon tips, so they will not tear up the camera head. We did not do that at first and learned the hard way hahah. And yes the light ring lens is the lens that will get scratched up, and we have noticed without good lighting the picture will look dull.

We also use an airplane window pollish that is used to get scratches out with a dremmel pollishing kit. It does help clear the picture up a bit, but nothing is better than not having scratches. Not to mention the skid helps soften the blows the front of the camera gets.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

The problem I see with your skid is the opening in the front can fill with sludge easily and block the view. I give you credit for trying to make an item to help improve an already indestructible camera head. You say it helps soften the blows. I can tell you this camera head can handle the blows. I also feel that your skid mounting screws will transmit the blows the skid receives to the mounting points on the camera head.

Comment

We have been selling them to several roto rooter franchises and most of the plumbers in the st. louis area for the past two years. Not to mention the drain cleaning company we own All Star Pumping and Sewer Service uses them daily. Also We are an authorized Ridgid Seesnake repair Center for the area, and we see a lot of broken camera heads. The nylon tipped screws have not caused any damage yet and adding a 1/2" or more protection to a camera in our oppinion is a no brainer. However sometimes you may have to go with a smaller front skid or no skid to make it through offsets or turns. This skid is something new for the Ridgid Seesnake Cameras but other companies have been using them for years. We have used them on our spartan cameras, general cameras, insight vision cameras gator cameras. The list goes on, but they do work great.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarsewerequipment View Post
              We have used them on our spartan cameras, general cameras, insight vision cameras gator cameras. The list goes on, but they do work great.
              The city of Naperville has one for their non-Ridgid camera. They come out and televise home owners sewers at no cost if the plumber states the problem is out in the ROW (Right of Way). One time they came out and televised a line for me, half way through the line the picture went black. The one village guy said to the other " Do not tell me it came apart again." The other guy said "I don't think so, I taped it up real good." As they pulled the camera out of the drain the front of the camera skid was full of sludge.

Now as a note I have a 17 year old camera that has been in tons of sewers and has taken a beating over the years. So I still feel the Ridgid camera does not need a skid like this. Now when you talk about Spartan, Gator Cam, UMSI, Serco, I agree that they need all the help they can get.

Comment

the problem i see with your solid skid is like ron has mentioned.

the solid skid will act as a dredge and either have to push or drag everything in its way. this will not only create drag, but also capture everything in its path.

i too have multiple cameras and the factory ridgid skid is light, goes on easy and doesn't collect all the junk in its path. stopped using the stars when the balls came out.

a plastic or deralin skid that's notched or grooved is lighter and less expensive to machine.

the recess you have in front around the lens is a catch all and will not wash off with a shake in the water.

can't reinvent the wheel when the wheel rolls properly

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Now if Ridgid would put a sapphire lens in front of the lights, that would be a huge improvement I thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    Now if Ridgid would put a sapphire lens in front of the lights, that would be a huge improvement I thinks.
                    Just curious if anyone has considered putting computer screen protector on the lens?

J.C.

Comment

Ron and Rick you guys are giving me a good run and i like it!!!!! I'll start with Ron.
                      I agree with you 100% Ridgid is one of two of "my least likely to break down systems" which we repair and sell. The ridgid camera head will last a long time and from normal everyday use it will not go bad, but overtime the camera picture will go dull do to the scratches on the light ring which you agree with. So the question is: would it be worth it to use your ridgid guides and the front guide if it protected your camera and didn't cause you any trouble? All I am saying is you will get a lot longer life and better quality picture out of your camera if you put a front skid on the camera. Not to say there is anything wrong with it now, but over time it will wear faster than if you had a skid on it. Ron I also believe most companies with tons of staff or companies where employees outside the owners use the cameras these skids will become life savers. However, from what i can tell over the forum you both know your Ridgid equipment and take good care of it because you bought and paid for it. Most of my customers aren't as lucky. So the skids come in handy when there employees are using the system.
                      For Rick...
                      We all know you are the man... but I can vouch if you shake the camera head or swoosh it back and forth in the water in the pipe it will clean off the front portion of the skid. Also If you are getting huge wads of sludge and debris on your camera it is time to either cable the line or get the jetter out.
                      Lastly you both have been in business for a long time and I know when you get used to doing stuff a certain way you are not going to change it. I know i wouldn't!!! So keep doing what you have been doing because it works.

For other plumbers who have trouble with employees breaking camera heads and feel this will benefit you give us a call. That's why we made this skid, for customers who came to us frustrated time and time again.

Comment

Put a durable replaceable lens on the front of your skid. Won't be a debris grabber anymore and the original head underneath will probably last forever.

J.C.

Comment

JCSPlumbing I like your thinking and we did try that, but it created a bad glare when the light from the camera head reflected off the front lens of the skid. We haven't gave up on that idea yet though.

Comment

If you want to get rid of the glare, the camera sapphire window MUST be right up against the piece of glass in your skid. Any gap at all and you'll have glare.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
                              If you want to get rid of the glare, the camera sapphire window MUST be right up against the piece of glass in your skid. Any gap at all and you'll have glare.
                              Beat me too it. You da' camera man.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X