sewer cable with transmitter instead of camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer cable with transmitter instead of camera

I guess I'll be brave and go ahead and ask: how pathetic would it be for me, a one-man operation, residential, to simply use a sewer snake with a transmitter on the end to repair drains, instead of using a camera?--for now. What would I be missing, apart from evidence to provide the customer? Would I end up jackhammering when I didn't need to? For that matter, do the Ridgid transmitters even go down 2"?

Thanks, and please criticize.

Re: sewer cable with transmitter instead of camera

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
    I guess I'll be brave and go ahead and ask: how pathetic would it be for me, a one-man operation, residential, to simply use a sewer snake with a transmitter on the end to repair drains, instead of using a camera?--for now. What would I be missing, apart from evidence to provide the customer? Would I end up jackhammering when I didn't need to? For that matter, do the Ridgid transmitters even go down 2"?

Ridgid has adapters to attach the Sondes to a drain cable. What you will locate is where your cable is regardless of where the problem is. Chances are they will often be at the same location but that's not a guarantee you won't be doing some sports digging on occasion.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have used Utah's 5/8" sectional adapters with the Ridgid transmitter.The kitchen 2" line was collapsed and full of black sludge so a camera would not have been able to show anything.I was lucky to get to the main source of the problem.All the other times I've used his camera to get on top of an issue.

The sonde on a cable does get through a slightly smaller I.D.

Comment

Before sewer cameras we used a tape on transmitter and located 1000's of sewers. The advantage of a camera system is you can show the home owner the problem, most of them have a seeing is believing attitude these days.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I used the sonde that hooked on the end of my cable for about a year before I finally bought a camera. It will work fine while you save for a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post

Before buying my Mini in 1998, I located sewers using my home-built transmitters of various types either attached to the cable, or built right on to the end (non-removable) for over ten years. Mostly because cameras were not yet affordable.

I can say 110% that seeing what you are dealing with is a far superior way to locate a sewer.

Last week, a customer had a spot in a strip-mall drain he couldn't get a 2" cutter through (3" cast line). He wanted to know where the bad spot was so he could break up the floor and fix it. Had the tenant all primed for the potential big mess.

The stoppage was from the former tenant - a dog grooming shop. Stoppage was dog hair all "glued" together with what looked like soap residue.

Once he knew what it was, he attacked it with a 3/4" mainline machine - started with 2" half cutter and worked his way up to 3". I inspected it again after and the hairball was gone. No jackhammering required.

In the 10+ years before getting the camera, I located hundreds of sewers without seeing what and why. Nobody seemed unhappy with the results.

They LOVE the camera, though. Makes them look good.

Comment

in the 15 years i've owned cameras, i don't think i've used a sonde without my camera a couple of times.

the camera with built in sonde is the way to go.

unless all you need to know is where the sewer is so you can find a connection, a location in the blind is nowhere as good as a location with the camera. seeing the problem and homing in on it is only possible with a camera.

i have plenty of sondes that do nothing since the cameras with built in sondes came available.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X