X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seesnake Reel Recommendation

I have a full size color seesnake that I use and will continue to use on 3 to 6 inch lines.

I've been getting away with running it into 2 inch lines but turns are sometimes difficult and I've had a few close call "oh crap, I'm stuck" moments going through cast iron. I'm tired of being worried about what kind of access I'll have while on the way to a job.

It's time for a new addition to the tool family.

So I was thinking of getting the mini since I've worked with it in the past. I know it works great for 2 inch.

However I will rarely need to go over 50 feet, much less 100 feet, so 200 is unnecessary. I've never damaged a camera cable to the point of repair in 15 years, so I'm not worried about the extra cable.

Now I'm leaning towards the microreel because there is only a slight difference in cable thickness and camera head diameter.

I have no experience with the microreel.

How much difference does the .04" thinner microreel cable, and the .20" smaller diameter microreel camera head make in the ability to push the camera through compared to the mini seesnake?

I also like that you can hook up the microexplorer for quick inspections with the microreel. Also add microdrain in future.

The most important thing to me though, is the ability to get the camera through 2 inch cast iron lines. I'm willing to pay more for the mini.

I should get a demo.

Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Re: Seesnake Reel Recommendation

good questions and explanations of your needs

100' or less, then i would go with the microreel.

i have them all and when i can use the microreel, i do as it's much lighter to carry and much smaller to store in the truck.

the standard size seesnake and microreel is a good combo, but so is the standard and mini.

i think the fact that you are under a 100' is the deciding factor. plus it takes up litter space in the truck.

but remember that the microreel will not have as powerful a transmitter. and the unit is smaller and lighter. so when it comes time to pull a cable from the drum or reel it in, you need to hold the microreel case to keep it from moving.

a demo is a wise choice.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I thought I read in the comparison guide that the sonde was 512 in both?

I'll have to check that and your answer tomorrow. Its 1am here, way past bedtime for me.

Thanks Rick.

Lenny

Comment

both are 512hz, but while the mini is a more powerful transmitter and is housed in the spring. the micro is housed in the camera head and therefore is not as many windings and not as strong a transmitter.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

As far as ease of pushing the cable into and pulling out of the microReel... newer microReels have bearings added into the design that make the drum spin easier.

Sounds like a microReel would be a good fit for your needs.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            As far as ease of pushing the cable into and pulling out of the microReel... newer microReels have bearings added into the design that make the drum spin easier.

Josh
            I was talking more about the ability to push the microreel cable into the pipe since it has a slightly thinner cable diameter than the mini. It is nice to know about the bearings though.

Does the microreel's thinner cable make it more difficult to push down the line than the mini? Especially in cast iron?

Thanks for the responses, Ridgid rep is coming Friday for a demo.

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
              I was talking more about the ability to push the microreel cable into the pipe since it has a slightly thinner cable diameter than the mini. It is nice to know about the bearings though.

Does the microreel's thinner cable make it more difficult to push down the line than the mini? Especially in cast iron?

Thanks for the responses, Ridgid rep is coming Friday for a demo.

I haven't used the microreel (yet) but I have used the Compact which I understand to use the same push cable. what I have found is that regardless of the model, If you are using the cable in the maximum diameter pipe that Ridgid rates it for (ie 4" for the compact and 6" for the mini) hubs and bends can be somewhat difficult to navigate. My thought is that the spring on the camera head is a little too flexible.

To me, The mini would be a nice choice if you could only get 1 camera, as it has the widest middle range of pipe that it can handle.

But....if you already have a the big-boy reel, then I would strongly recommend the microreel. With the expandability to swap out to the microdrain cable, it can truly be an awesome tool.

I would think that the sonde should be powerful enough for most inside locates even under normal 3-4" concrete. From what Rick and others have said, it sounds like the sonde may be too weak for deep locating (outside 3-7' deep).

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Josh
                man my microreel is only 4 weeks old and doesnt have bearings oh well that is what I would also rec.as that is the only cam .I have I rent the big boy If I need any more distence
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I met with the local Rep. Robby Falgoust two times trying to make a decision. He was very helpful.

My original concern was with the push cable for the microreel but I was happy enough with the stiffness of the cable. What I was not expecting was the image to be as dim as it was compared to the mini or compact. I guess it's the go to camera for ptraps but I'm not brave enough for that and the led brightness was a deal breaker.

That left me with the compact or mini.

The compact seemed perfect but the monitor would be unnecessary. The compact reel can be bought separately from the monitor for $3500 but you lose control of the counter. The cable is only 100ft but I can live with that.

So to have it all I need to get the mini. The led is nice and bright. Counter control. Lighter and as long as full size. Can take the place of the full size on many jobs. Perfect camera for 2 inch access.

The problem I have is that I'll only need this extra camera maybe 10% of the time as my full size works for almost everything.

$5000 for 10% of the video work. I'm conflicted.

Maybe Ebay.

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                    I met with the local Rep. Robby Falgoust two times trying to make a decision. He was very helpful.

My original concern was with the push cable for the microreel but I was happy enough with the stiffness of the cable. What I was not expecting was the image to be as dim as it was compared to the mini or compact. I guess it's the go to camera for ptraps but I'm not brave enough for that and the led brightness was a deal breaker.

That left me with the compact or mini.

The compact seemed perfect but the monitor would be unnecessary. The compact reel can be bought separately from the monitor for $3500 but you lose control of the counter. The cable is only 100ft but I can live with that.

So to have it all I need to get the mini. The led is nice and bright. Counter control. Lighter and as long as full size. Can take the place of the full size on many jobs. Perfect camera for 2 inch access.

The problem I have is that I'll only need this extra camera maybe 10% of the time as my full size works for almost everything.

$5000 for 10% of the video work. I'm conflicted.

Maybe Ebay.
                    Give Shane or Kirk a call at AJ Coleman, last time I was there he had tons of compacts with and with out the monitors. I bet they can give you a good price. Also check into the FlatPack.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

seems odd to me that you found the microreel dim; I don't. I use it with cs1000, not explorer. Wonder what is different for you than for me. Wonder if something was messed up with your demo.

It rocks 2" lines for me. Did one about 30' yesterday that I could not get the micro drain all the way through. Started off 1 1/2", bunch of 90's, think it went to 2 but not sure. Dog wash at a dog groomer. Eventually shares a line with a restaraunt. You can guess at the clog-making synergy. Just tired of doing this line all the time so I cam'ed it for free just to prove to myself I'm leaving it in a good state and not missing something.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Give Shane or Kirk a call at AJ Coleman, last time I was there he had tons of compacts with and with out the monitors. I bet they can give you a good price. Also check into the FlatPack.
                        Thanks I have their number.

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        seems odd to me that you found the microreel dim; I don't. I use it with cs1000, not explorer. Wonder what is different for you than for me. Wonder if something was messed up with your demo.

It rocks 2" lines for me. Did one about 30' yesterday that I could not get the micro drain all the way through. Started off 1 1/2", bunch of 90's, think it went to 2 but not sure. Dog wash at a dog groomer. Eventually shares a line with a restaraunt. You can guess at the clog-making synergy. Just tired of doing this line all the time so I cam'ed it for free just to prove to myself I'm leaving it in a good state and not missing something.
                        Maybe the demo was messed up.

He used the dvdpak and we were running 2 inch cast iron. I was impressed with the dvdpak monitor (with mini).

In the 2 inch C.I., the microreel image was dim, lacked detail and couldn't see far downstream. I would be worried about passing up a crack when working in the sun. When we hit the 4 by 2 combo I could barely see the inside of the combo.

The mini was brighter with more detail and could see much further downstream. Also the combo was completely lit up.

When working outside the brighter the better for me. Also being able to see detail is important to me. Don't want to miss something on a real estate deal.

Do you guys find the images from the mini and the microreel similar?

If so I need to call Robby back and re-demo.

Thanks.

Lenny

Comment

I've certainly not noticed that level of difference in them. I've not done a side by side test though. I wonder if the dimmer got bumped or something while you were using the micro reel. I'm showered and in my jammies having tv night tonight, so not going to go downstairs and get dirty right now. But I'll set up a side by side in the shop tomorrow while I clean the van out and let you know.

Might be a dvd pak thing as I don't have that monitor to test with? seems unlikely.

One thing I have noticed is my microreel goes way dim with the sonde turned on... could that have been it?
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            I've certainly not noticed that level of difference in them. I've not done a side by side test though. I wonder if the dimmer got bumped or something while you were using the micro reel. I'm showered and in my jammies having tv night tonight, so not going to go downstairs and get dirty right now. But I'll set up a side by side in the shop tomorrow while I clean the van out and let you know.

Might be a dvd pak thing as I don't have that monitor to test with? seems unlikely.

One thing I have noticed is my microreel goes way dim with the sonde turned on... could that have been it?
                            Don't think the sonde was on. You got me thinking though.

Lenny

Comment

I know they are different but my Micro Drain is bright as hell! Even in 3" lines! Something was wrong for sure!
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X