X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid brick transmitter?

Seriously looking into buying a transmitter.... 5 watt brick, 10 watt or ST33Q....Pro and cons of each? I will be using my scout to pick up the signal. Most of my locates would probably be less than 100' from a connection point, up to about 5' deep. What about the inductive clamp? Handy to have? Thanks, Paul

Re: Ridgid brick transmitter?

I have Ridgid's 10watt.I was told to chose the 10 over the 5.
    Better signal through more distance/obstruction.

Comment

Thanks drtyhands.... And WTH are you doing up at 4:47 am on a Sunday morning? Maybe you're just getting to bed, I dunno....

Comment

actually it's 2:47 our time.

adam calls me to remind me to change phoebe's diaper

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Williams Ex Co View Post
          Seriously looking into buying a transmitter.... 5 watt brick, 10 watt or ST33Q....Pro and cons of each? I will be using my scout to pick up the signal. Most of my locates would probably be less than 100' from a connection point, up to about 5' deep. What about the inductive clamp? Handy to have? Thanks, Paul
          What will you be locating?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Rick, a real friend would probably just come over and change it....

JC, The one call locate system here is great to work with but of course they dont locate any private facility/utility. I occasionally need to dig across a buried power line between the meter and house so I would like to be able to locate that.... Would also like to be able to hook up to exposed galv or CU to know where they are headed. Thanks!

Comment

I would say you need the inductive clamp because you will run into a situation where you can't get a direct connection and/or a return ground.

I'd check back for irguy or another Ridgid/Seektech opinion. 10 watt is more power but you also have to be careful to keep the frequency low as the signal can jump onto everything & make you feel lost.

You can also leapfrog inductively, but I'm just not comfortable myself without a direct connection or the inductive clamp.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
              X