Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Viewing Problem - DVD Player Only?

Hi, All -
    I'm Mark P and work for residential maintenance at VA Tech. We have purchased a color mini SeeSnake with locator/transmitter, and an LCD/DVD monitor combo. I have thus far convinced the other guys and my supervisors this is far too delicate a piece of equipment to let anyone but me operate ( There are too damn many hamfisted mechanics around here - same thing everywhere isn't it? ). A quick question about viewing recorded inspection DVD's that I don't seem to be able to get an answer to. I'm using DVD-R discs, and finalizing - my question concerns playback. We don't seem to be able to play these back on our computers, but the recordings DO play back just fine using the Ridgid monitor they were created on (just borrowed a students's X-Box and it played back there as well). Is there software we need to download to allow these to play back on a computer? Computers are far more plentiful and easier to access in this setting, so being able to playback(and digitally copy to the varied affected departments) would be ideal.
    The system works GREAT, BTW - has really cleared up a lot of "mystery" issues around here.
    Thanks in advance- Mark P

Re: DVD Viewing Problem - DVD Player Only?

Be aware that no version of any OS comes with DVD playback software pre-installed. It is a separate item (Win DVD, etc.) you have to purchase and install. Many times it'll come bundled with a video card.

Unless the system builder (HP, Dell, etc.) chose to provide the player as part of the software that came pre-loaded, DVD's won't play.

If the machines you are attempting playback on are able to play other DVD's OK, then that's not the issue - it's probably related to the 'finalize' issue or something along those lines.

There have been a couple posts on this in the past - do a search on 'DVD' or 'finalize' or both.

Comment

Vance is right on. Ya gotta have special software installed on a PC to playback DVDs... even if you have a DVD Drive.

Comment

Just a quick note, there is software out there that you don't have to pay for. Do a Google search for "free dvd player for windows" or something along those lines and I'm sure you will get plenty of results.
        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
          Just a quick note, there is software out there that you don't have to pay for. Do a Google search for "free dvd player for windows" or something along those lines and I'm sure you will get plenty of results.

This is true, but the old adage "buyer beware" (even though it's free) applies. Ya never know what you're gonna get. Embedded crap abounds in software like this.

The reason DVD software does not come with your OS is that there are licensing requirements from the owners of the MPEG2 technology involved. That being the case, any "free" DVD player may be in a serious gray area...

Comment

Working...
          X