LT1000 disadvantages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1000 disadvantages?

I'm assuming that a normal non-ruggedized laptop will work with the LT1000--is this true? Was not able to find owner's manual for LT1000 on Ridgid's site, but I'm assuming that once I get the laptop going, I will be using the LT1000 control panel, not having to put my grubby hands on the laptop--is this basically true? I'm assuming that by getting a LT1000 instead of one of the other power supply/monitors, that I will not find myself in, say, 7 years, having compatibility issues with whatever the new operating system is at the time--or cable compatibility issues.

I'm just about to order a mini, transmitter, locator, and power supply--what, if any, disadvantages might there be with LT1000 versus one of the other power supplies?

Thanks!

Re: LT1000 disadvantages?

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
    I'm assuming that a normal non-ruggedized laptop will work with the LT1000--is this true? Was not able to find owner's manual for LT1000 on Ridgid's site, but I'm assuming that once I get the laptop going, I will be using the LT1000 control panel, not having to put my grubby hands on the laptop--is this basically true? I'm assuming that by getting a LT1000 instead of one of the other power supply/monitors, that I will not find myself in, say, 7 years, having compatibility issues with whatever the new operating system is at the time--or cable compatibility issues.

I'm just about to order a mini, transmitter, locator, and power supply--what, if any, disadvantages might there be with LT1000 versus one of the other power supplies?

Thanks!
    http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/D924706...NUAL%20SCR.pdf

The only computer not recommended is the Net Books although some are using them. The LT1000 is computer based so it comes with a great software program. I'm guessing the next generations will be more software upgrades than hardware.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

There are some tradeoffs to using the LT1000 over a dedicated monitor and there are some big advantages as well.

The LT1000 with a laptop is a very powerful solution in that it lets you record to dvd and digital as well as upload and take advantages of whatever your laptop can do.

Some folks are intimidated by using laptops and PCs though and are much more comfortable with a dedicated monitor like the LCDPak or CS1000. Depending on your laptop rain and dirt may be concerns as well.

The control pad on the LT1000 interacts with the SeeSnake HQ software and does keep your hands off the keyboard for pretty much everything you need to do while recording an inspection (snapshots, videos, screen rotation, sonde controls, lighting, microphone, etc. are all on the keypad. Typing up reports after the job will work best with your gloves off.

Even without a laptop, you can still hook up any display that will take a video in feed on the LT1000. Its a very flexible platform.

The SeeSnake HQ software will continue to evolve and improve as we get requests and see opportunities. The LT1000 should continue to keep working for quite some time unchanged.

Is this what you were asking?

Josh

Comment

Yes, Josh, that's exactly what I'm asking. Thanks. My biggest priority is longevity. If one of the other power supplies stood a better chance of not being technologically outmoded, i would go with it. But my hope is that the LT1000 will be perfectly compatible with whatever operating systems and whatever cable connections come along (via adapters). But if the LT1000 were more chancey in that regard, then I would be inclined to go with one of the other units. I'm primarily not looking for features, but rather longevity.

As to it not even requiring a laptop, but being able to work with any display with a video in, that pretty much assures longevity since displays will always be available no what kind of quantum leaps occur with operating systems and all the 32/64 stuff.

Thus, I think I'm sold.

By the way, Josh, is there an owner's manual on the website that I could view?

Comment

Sorry--one more question. If the software keeps changing, will that at some point require an newer LT1000?

Comment

Sorry--one more question. If the software keeps changing, will that at some point require an newer LT1000?
            The LT 1000 is an interface and power source for your camera to a laptop. They can update the firmware on the LT 1000 if they come up with anyting new that is needed to keep it up to date.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            Ron's Facebook
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

By the way, Josh, is there an owner's manual on the website that I could view?
              I already posted a link to it but it is real slow to download so give it time.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/D924706...NUAL%20SCR.pdf

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i've been using a netbook for some time with very good results. in fact my original netbook is the older 8.1'' screen with only .5 gig ram. my new 12.1'' has 2 gigs and 320 hd. along with a dual core processor.

there are silicone keypad covers you could buy, but i've never needed one as i'm careful with my computer.

about the only thing that's a concern is the screen brightness in direct sunlight. even that's not been an issue with an umbrella.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

There are a number of resons why I prefer the cs to the lt. They may not apply to you.

First, I agree with rick regarding sunlight. It depends on your laptop screen. Mine's an hp and it's pretty much unusable in sunlight. Even with a towel over my head and the screen, the only way I can use it is with an ac power supply to the pc (this pc dims the screen when not plugged in to save the battery). Keep my location in mind; I'm at 10,000' altitude with as many sunny days as Arizona, so if you don't have sun like I do it won't be as big an issue for you. Also, the daylight viewable screen on the cs works great, and I'm sure laptops with that screen tech are available.

Second, water resistance is very important to me. I often have the camera sitting outside next to a cleanout while it is snowing, or am down in a wet/muddy excavated hole making sure the rest of the line is ok. My laptop just isn't up to the task in those situations. Or, maybe, I'm just not up to babying it in those situations. Having a beach umberella for the snow and taking more care in a hole could work, but I'm too impatient to work that way, and the cs lets me get away with that. Again, there are laptops that hold up to that abuse available.

The lt itself is built bomber, and a 'hard' laptop would get around those issues. But the cost of the laptop I need to go with the lt brings it up to the price point of the cs, and I just find the cs easier to use.

The kicker for me is that the lt gets kind of clunky for me when not attached to the reel. Now it is three things to carry (reel, lt, laptop) instead of two (reel/lt and laptop or reel and cs). I don't want it attached to the reel because I have multiple cameras. I have three minis, a microdrain, a microreel, and a bw setup rigged for small lines from before the micros were available. They move around to different vans depending on what needs to be fixed and who is doing what today. I don't have a micro explorer to use with the micros, so I use the same monitor setup with all cameras. Mounting the lt to a reel makes it dedicated to that reel, and that is not the way I use a monitor.

Also, it may not come up right away, but laptops (and computers in general) get obsoleted pretty regularly. Maybe every three years or so enough changes have come up in computer tech that something I want to run just won't run on my outdated system. So I hate to invest a lot of $ in a 'hard' laptop that will get outdated pretty quick.

Just my take on it. Everyone's situation is at least a little different. Both the lt and cs are great at what they do. For me/my way of doing things the cs makes more sense.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I would have concerns about the laptop vs. LT1000. I looked at new and used Tough Books. In a perfect world I would have billing and inspection all on that one machine. Do it all in the field on site. I do like to plug in thing the less batterys to replace and keeped charged the better. Cold weather makes me think the less batterys the better.

Comment

the great thing about the laptop and lt-1000 is the ability to catalog your inspections and save them on the computer or an external drive. with the size and price of a portable usb hard drive or usb stick, it's simple to keep a copy and burn a copy for the customer.

my little netbook has 40+ videos that i stored. plus the ability to email the reports are a big bonus. most people will look at the stills on an email. most won't take the time to watch a video with detail.

the emailed reports with the stills seem to be a winner.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I've got over 60 inspections done with my LT and my laptop, so far so good, but yes you do have to treat it like a laptop lol.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I'm with Vance G. so far. Just simpler with DVD and some stills. Maybe I'm becoming electronically challenged too.

Can you smoke signal inspection results?

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for input. Water resistance is not a biggie for me, I don't think, but a question regarding the screen on the dvd pak. The cs is described as having a daylight viewable display, but no such description is given for the dvd pak. Anyone know anything about that?

the discussion so far has been very helpful.

Comment

Sorry to go off topic but do they even make any laptops with daylight viewable display for less than a couple grand?
                              Rod
                              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                              http://unclognh.com
                              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                              X