• Show
Clear All

Re: How to straighten this out?

WOW.... Think I`m gonna hold of on getting one now
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Wow... thats an interesting one. I want to check with our engineers and see if they have any theories. Did this just gradually get like that or did it happen after a single job?

Josh
      Josh:

Does the MicroDrain have multiple small rods (say, 3) or does it have a single, hollow rod like the Mini?

If the former, that's your answer. The multiple rods have spiraled around themselves inside the jacketing.

Go to Home Depot and buy a 100' box of Romex Sim-Pull. Pull some of it from the center hole in the box. The Romex will look like the Micro cable. The wire manufacturer purposely puts twists in the individual conductors - you can see this through the jacketing.

Heavy use of the Micro must put more twists on the rods than those already present from manufacturing the thing, likely due to the cheaper "extension cord" reel you're using. Looks to me like that reel doesn't have slip rings like the bigger cams. True or false?

Comment

The inner drum free spins to help prevent that kind of twisting of the cables. PlumbersCrack how old is that unit? I know you said you been sticking it in every drain there is and have gotten it stuck and tugged on it like an ape to break it free.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          The inner drum free spins to help prevent that kind of twisting of the cables.
          But I'll bet it doesn't have slip rings - the "dry" end of the cable is just hard-fastened to the termination scheme inside of the reel opposite the crank side. That means that for every turn of the reel, you put a twist in the cable.

Just like when you coil up a garden hose - you have to put a twist on the hose for every coil you make otherwise it won't coil nicely. The Micro cable / cam may not be able to twist freely while winding up, so the cable gets twanked.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
            But I'll bet it doesn't have slip rings - the "dry" end of the cable is just hard-fastened to the termination scheme inside of the reel opposite the crank side. That means that for every turn of the reel, you put a twist in the cable.

Just like when you coil up a garden hose - you have to put a twist on the hose for every coil you make otherwise it won't coil nicely. The Micro cable / cam may not be able to twist freely while winding up, so the cable gets twanked.
            So it would be wise to pull the camera out of the drain first, then push it into the reel so the camera end can turn freely.

Comment

I would say that my bad habits may have contributed to this. When I get to a point that the camera won't go, I twist it up and shove it some more. That usually works. Over time I guess it creates waves in the cable.
              Maybe ill clamp it in a vice just behind the spring and 'unwind' it to see what happens.

If I break it, so what. Ill just buy the 65 footer to replace it.

I noticed the new units gave a ball bearing to help with the in and outs.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                So it would be wise to pull the camera out of the drain first, then push it into the reel so the camera end can turn freely.
                Or pick up and flip the reel (not the INSIDE of the reel, the whole reel) 1 turn in the direction opposite the kinks that are forming in the cable for every turn of the crank...

Comment

I wonder how much the replacement push rod is. I know you can get the inner drum with 65' from AJ Coleman for just over $1700.00 Since you already have the drum just need the push rod.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    WOW.... Think I`m gonna hold of on getting one now
                    I'm thinking this also
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Yours is worse, but mine is starting to look the same way. I got one of the very early models. Isn't yours a first generation also?

Comment

Wow. Two of 'em. This is not a coincidence...

Engineering, are you listening?

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
                          Wow. Two of 'em. This is not a coincidence...

Engineering, are you listening?
                          I'm sure they are. Josh is the product manager for the inspection cameras.

Comment

I think I need to get me one and put it through the paces as well. Maybe at the start of the new year I will pick one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                              Yours is worse, but mine is starting to look the same way. I got one of the very early models. Isn't yours a first generation also?
                              I DID have a 1st generation one but that was stolen Can't remember if that one started to curl. This is about a 1-1/2 years old with tons of mileage.

I'm sure there's a procedure to straighten it. I just didn't want to mess it up doing something counter productive. (had thoughts of using my heat gun )

And I wouldn't think twice about purchasing another if this can't be remedied

Comment

I am listening and have been since first posted. Trying to get an answer from engineering on this one.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                                X