X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to straighten this out?

I've used the hell out of my MicroDrain this past year and now it's a little twisted. It's to the point where I can't push it down a 3" pipe without it binding up. Now it just winds up in the pipe and won't go forward.

What would be the best method for removing the "waves" without risk of damaging the cable?

Attached Files

Re: How to straighten this out?

Wow! How old is that? Has it paid for itself?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      Wow! How old is that? Has it paid for itself?
      Yea, the 2nd day I owned it and 20 more times since then.

It's about 1-1/2 years old. I stuff it in every pipe hole I come across.

Comment

Dang PlumbersCrack, you sure put that bad boy through the ringer. Is that the 30' or the 65' pushrod? It will be interesting to hear if you would be able to straighten it out.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Interesting how it is patterned. Almost like the glass/kevlar? rods twisted in the sheathing. Like some extension cords I've seen will do after some time.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            Dang PlumbersCrack, you sure put that bad boy through the ringer. Is that the 30' or the 65' pushrod? It will be interesting to hear if you would be able to straighten it out.
            It's the 30 footer. The back half is still pretty straight but as you can see the front half is wavy.

Once it paid for itself my gorilla paws have been pretty rough on her It's BY FAR the most durable camera on the market. You wouldn't believe how hard I've pushed and pulled when it hangs up. She's a real workhorse.

Ron is yours showing any sign of this?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              It's the 30 footer. The back half is still pretty straight but as you can see the front half is wavy.

Once it paid for itself my gorilla paws have been pretty rough on her It's BY FAR the most durable camera on the market. You wouldn't believe how hard I've pushed and pulled when it hangs up. She's a real workhorse.

Ron is yours showing any sign of this?
              Bill, you would think I own one of these, but sadly I do not yet. There are a few times I wished I had one, and I know when i do get one I too will be sticking it in every drain I come across. Maybe I will get one for the new year.

Comment

Wow... thats an interesting one. I want to check with our engineers and see if they have any theories. Did this just gradually get like that or did it happen after a single job?

Josh

Comment

I stuff it in every pipe hole I come across.
                  you may want to re phrase this
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    Wow... thats an interesting one. I want to check with our engineers and see if they have any theories. Did this just gradually get like that or did it happen after a single job?

Josh
                    Definately gradually but much more so lately.

I wonder if the cold has some effect on it?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Interesting how it is patterned. Almost like the glass/kevlar? rods twisted in the sheathing. Like some extension cords I've seen will do after some time.

J.C.

The pattern is because it isn't coiled up in a proper reel like a Mini or Std. It coils from the inside out, not the outside in as when the reel rotates as you insert/remove the cable.

It's a flat pak like when you buy a coil of Romex and pull it out through the hole in the middle of the box - you get the same kind of coiling pattern in the dispensed cable. One twist in the cable for every coil in the box. You have to manually unwind it if you want the cable to lay flat.

Comment

It does look like it froze in place on the reel...
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

i use my micro reel more than the micro drain. no issues, but they are different cables.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I've used the hell out of my MicroDrain this past year and now it's a little twisted. It's to the point where I can't push it down a 3" pipe without it binding up. Now it just winds up in the pipe and won't go forward.

What would be the best method for removing the "waves" without risk of damaging the cable?
                            That picture made me remember a joke Buddy Hackett used to tell.

Originally posted by Buddy Hackett
                            A man went in to the doctor and the doc said, "How can I help you?"

The man replied, "I have a gnarled pecker"

The doctor proceeded to examine the man and agreed it was quite gnarled. The doctor was at a loss as to what to do and advised the man to come back for a follow up in two weeks.

Two weeks later the man walked into the doctors office and amazingly he was no longer gnarled. To this the doctor said, "This is great. How'd you do it?"

"Well doc, I tapped it straight"

"You what"

"I tapped it straight. I was in the men's room and noticed the man next to me shaking the dew from his lily. He went tap tap tap on his pecker. I looked the other way and the man to my left went tap tap tap, too. So I thought it was a good idea and started tapping. I have now tapped myself straight."

The doctor was puzzled and asked, "What in hell did you do before?"

Gesturing with two fists the man replied,

"I W R U N G it out"

Comment

I don't own any cameras for now, but I would have never thought that was even possible. It really does look like an extension cord that's all twisted up. Maybe it's just a matter of gradually getting every curve/wave out of it? Don't quote me....I'm no engineer....

PS: In case you do break your cam....I can't be responsible for any damage to your equipment that results from this post because I'm just a plumber and don't know anything about straightening out camera pushrods
                              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                              X