X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navitrack II signal angle help

& Numeric horizontal angle indicator. Can someone please explain to me how to read (understand) the both of these? Maybe some examples of locating on a down slope and up slope. I never had a good handle of this aspect of the Navitrack even though I've had good sucess with my locating. Thanks folks

PS. I originally & incorrectly posted this in the SeeSnake forum...sorry.

Re: Navitrack II signal angle help

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    & Numeric horizontal angle indicator. Can someone please explain to me how to read (understand) the both of these? Maybe some examples of locating on a down slope and up slope. I never had a good handle of this aspect of the Navitrack even though I've had good sucess with my locating. Thanks folks

PS. I originally & incorrectly posted this in the SeeSnake forum...sorry.
    RIDGID receivers use information about the signal's angle to track it's location on the mapping display. In sonde locating mode the Poles and Equator are based on the signal's angle, and in line trace mode the Tracing Line is based the signal's angle. The numeric angle indicator is just another way of looking at the same information.

In both locating modes the receiver is measuring is the angle of the signal passing through its antennas, not the slope of the ground. So if you're locating on a slope, you can use the receiver's graphical elements to get close, but always check your results by verifying that the signal reading is highest over the target, and this applies to both sonde and line locating.

As for how you might use the numeric angle indicator, it can be a useful verification technique when line tracing:

Move the receiver to the right side of the line's indicated position until you get a 45 degree reading, then repeat on the left side. The indicated position should be in the middle of the two 45 degree points. Your receiver came with marker chips and this is a great place to use them - the chips make it even easier to see if the indicated position is centered between the two 45 degree points.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by irguy View Post
      As for how you might use the numeric angle indicator, it can be a useful verification technique when line tracing:
      I use the Nav for sewer locating and don't do line tracing yet. Is it safe to say the the numeric angle indicator doesn't come into play when sewer locating? and primarily used for line tracing...if I reading you correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
        Is it safe to say the the numeric angle indicator doesn't come into play when sewer locating?
        While you can certainly use it, most folks find that it's easiest to simply mark the poles and equator and verify the point of maximum signal.

Comment

Working...
        X