X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on my new scout locator

when i have my camera on above ground i turn my locator on i have a strong singal when im over the head,but when i put it in my sewer line 20 feet i never get a singal over 100 .am i doing something wrong help.

Re: question on my new scout locator

SR-20 or SR-60? Locating at 512Hz? What is your signal strength outside the pipe? What kind of pipe? You are probably fine though

Comment

navitrack scout 512 outside signal is the 3000 range inside line never over 100

Comment

Depending upon how deep and if your line was cast iron i would have to say its a pretty good locate. keep in mind though you are locating the location of the sonde, not the entire line.

Comment

the line is cast iron to clay but you think 100 on the signal strenght is good its about 5 feet deep

Comment

are you directly above the sonde? or just the snake?

Comment

Originally posted by getflowing View Post
              ...when i put it in my sewer line 20 feet...
              If you are getting a super-strong signal reading with the camera lying on the ground and a much lower reading at a depth of 5', this is absolutely normal and you are not doing anything wrong.

Here's why: The sonde signal drops really fast as you move away -- and the drop-off is not linear. Technically, the sonde's signal at any point is 1/distance cubed.

What that effectively means is that by the time the sonde is 20' away it's signal is 226 times weaker than it is when your receiver is touching the camera head.

So depending on the soil conditions, pipe material, and depth you may or may not be able to detect the sonde from 20' away. What many guys do is locate the sonde a few feet from the access point to establish its direction of travel, and then locate it again each time the line makes a turn.

If this is impractical or inconvenient, you can energize the SeeSnake push cable and trace its path out to the camera head. This technique is called Integrated Line Trace, and you can find a tutorial on how to do that here: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Utility-...g/EN/index.htm

Comment

thank,s guy,s really appreciate input

Comment

One more point regarding signal strength: It doesn't matter whether it's 3,000 or 100. What matters is that it's stable and consistent.

When the sonde is OFF or when you are out of range of its signal, your receiver's signal strength will fluctuate. But when it's locked on to a signal the signal strength will remain steady. Also, it will drop off as you move away from the signal and it will increase as you move back towards the signal. As long as the signal is stable and consistent, you're good!

Comment

thank,s that help,s alot.

Comment

Originally posted by getflowing View Post
                      thank,s that help,s alot.
                      Thanks for asking a really good question, I think others will find it helpful.

Comment

Working...
                      X