Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanna see a very unhappy guy using a seesnake?

Well in this photo I am really really pissed! When using a camera on long runs you need some water and some speed! You rock the camera out to the sewer then do your inspection on the way back, works great ...most of the time
    We had 6 camera jobs today and the 1st one was at a church that had sewage come in during a major rain storm (100 year event it was called)
    The city was paying for BackWater valve installs on anybody who had a flood from sewage. So I get there and ask my questions where are the cleanouts, is there a B/W valve blah blah, he says where the cleanouts are and no backwater valve that's why we called you. Pretty new ABS pipes all around with an easy cleanout, start rolling the seesnake out with water running pretty fast as I need to get out 135' to the sewer and I see on the monitor I just went past something solid whoa hold the bus what was that? Yep stuck! An old backwater valve, steel in the pipe 2 ft under the slab no access to it!
    Tried running water off the water heater but not enough volume to force it open enough. Tried some 5/8" cable not big enough, tried 7/8 cable to big to get thru the bends without hurting the camera. So I grabbed my fullsize camera but it was too big also. So I took my Micro drain and used almost a hole roll of electric tape to make a puck at the end and very very carefully got my camera back! yay! I wish the city inspector watching me had got a pic when I was happy but no .. he took it when I was all mad and we where getting late to the next camera job.
    Attached Files
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: wanna see a very unhappy guy using a seesnake?

When rodding and I get caught in an old backwater valve, I pull back on the rod to hold the flapper closed as much as possible. Then get as much water running as possible. Flush all the water closets, fill and empty the sinks and tubs at the same time. While the water starts ti fill the pipe I push the cable in and quickly pulled it back out.

I am glad you got your camera back in one piece.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Yea I used a 3/4" garden hose hooked right the H/W heater drain but was not enough. On Cables I just unscrew it out but this was my camera so I chose caution lol.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Can't decide.

Picture 1 looks like:

1) You look like you've been corralled by SeeSnakes and are pissed about it.

2) You look like "I'm gonna' get all my toys out and play with them!"

Pretty good thinking and determination to get back and not break something. I bet someone working for you would have broken it.

J.C.

Comment

glad you got it. got mine stuck a couple months back and never saw the backwater as the line was compleatly full of roots. came back without the ball guide

jetted the line with my big jetter and half of the ball was caught on my 1/2''jetter hose

hate it when they bury a backwater valve with no access. that's why i go slow in to spot them.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Yea some of my guys would have ripped the head off and said " I saved the push rod what? It was the only way"
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

"Monitors! I need more Monitors!!!"

J.C.

Comment

I would have been much more pissed than you look in that picture. Good thinking and good job on getting your camera back
                Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                  I would have been much more pissed than you look in that picture. Good thinking and good job on getting your camera back
                  The avatar is hot ..can we get a frontal
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

For a nominal fee.... lol. No, but really, I found her online and this was the only pic. It was labeled something like "sexy plumber crack". I need to find someone like her to be my helper - I'd probably have 100 calls a day if I showed up to people's homes and businesses with her at my side
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                      For a nominal fee.... lol. No, but really, I found her online and this was the only pic. It was labeled something like "sexy plumber crack". I need to find someone like her to be my helper - I'd probably have 100 calls a day if I showed up to people's homes and businesses with her at my side

I wouldn't get anyting done if that was my helper..Sweet
                      Well sweety our next call ..The "No tell Motel"
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                        . So I took my Micro drain and used almost a hole roll of electric tape to make a puck at the end and very very carefully got my camera back! yay! I wish the city inspector watching me had got a pic when I was happy but no .. he took it when I was all mad and we where getting late to the next camera job.

That's using your head!!!! Good job!
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

If I was that camera man I'd be nervous!
                          You look like your about to bite his face off

Glad BWV's are few and far between here.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I always do inspections going in slow. It prevents this sort of thing.

My second year in I was with my boss running a video at a Pizza Hut. I could see a puddle coming up and thought this line is trapped. I pushed into the puddle and the camera dropped all of a sudden. It turns out the bottom of the C.I. pipe was gone. The camera head wedged into the v shaped break and would not go forward or back. We tried using a second camera and a cable with blade to push it forward or lift it up with no luck. It was nice and stuck. We waited for some one to bring a jackhammer and dug until I could reach under and pull the head out of the break. That day sucked.

Going slow would not have prevented this particular situation but I'm a lot more careful now. I've since avoided many chances to get stuck by doing my inspections while going in. I'm allergic to jackhammers.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I was just stuck again lol but not bad, the line was holding water 3/4 full or so but I was warned there was a buried B/W valve and the job was to find it.... well I did but the main thing is sometimes you can't see in the water I am not Jacques Cousteau lol. And you can't go slow in long cast iron lines the friction will kill ya even with water running. Remember I am doing 5-8 camera inspections a day.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X