X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extract

whats the best way to extract a bolt/screw that is in a pipe under my building? I was able to see it through a snake camera? Is a grabber the best wat or is there some kind of magnet that might be attached to the end of a snake?

Re: extract

a magnet will work if the pipe is not metal. otherwise it's a pain.

best bet is to attach a good strong magnet to a fiberglass push rod and then use the camera to assist in the placement and grab.

how far into the line? can it be pushed to a downstream c/o?

been there done that with a bolt before.

san francisco is 5.5 hours away. could make a nice weekend out of it
    rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      a magnet will work if the pipe is not metal. otherwise it's a pain.

best bet is to attach a good strong magnet to a fiberglass push rod and then use the camera to assist in the placement and grab.

how far into the line? can it be pushed to a downstream c/o?

been there done that with a bolt before.

san francisco is 5.5 hours away. could make a nice weekend out of it
      rick.
      My wife and I love SF. The sudden smells you get from the combination sanitary/storm sewers while walking around get a little old but other than that the town is very entertaining.

Had the largest prime rib of my life there at a place called House of Prime Rib. Must be some seriously mutated cows in the area. The meat was wonderful. The salad looked fantastic but the sauce tasted like... well, the source of the smells coming from the sewer.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Further to Rick's comment about a "good" magnet.

One extremely strong magnet that I carry in the tool bag is a cow magnet found in farm supply stores. They are swallowed by the cow and reside in one of its stomachs' to attract barb wire and other bits of metal while grazing. This prevents penetration through the stomach wall. They are about 2" long x 1/2" thick in rectangular or cylinder shaped and inexpensive.

Alternatively, look for "rare earth" magnets which are a higher grade than the normal magnets in a smaller footprint.

I've had limited success in attaching magnets to the camera with electrical tape and think an independent rod is the better approach. One generally needs the separately maneuverability of the camera to ensure proper placement.

Other possibilities include using a vacuum line and the usual retrieval tools for the cable machines. We find fiberglass chimney rods to be too stiff for most line work. We also employ thin, more flexible carbon fiber rods that we screw together, sometimes putting the softer, more bendable 'S' hooks from rubber tie straps on the end to snag objects. I believe the carbon fiber rods are similar or the same as high end tent framing poles.

..Dave
        Last edited by PTS; 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Jeez, how big is this bolt? Not a month goes by that I don't see one in a drain - not usually a big problem.

Probably easier to push it downstream than try to retrieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance G View Post
            Jeez, how big is this bolt? Not a month goes by that I don't see one in a drain - not usually a big problem.

Probably easier to push it downstream than try to retrieve it.
            Push it to the city or forget about.

Comment

Working...
            X