X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Invest in a SeeSnake Monitor

Seems like any ridgid camera would be able to connect to any laptop for use as a monitor and to produce a sewer video.
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-08-2011, 01:09 PM.

Re: the new toys that josh is sharing

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    Seems like any ridgid camera would be able to connect to any laptop for use as a monitor and to produce a sewer video.

it can. it's called the lt1000.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      it can. it's called the lt1000.

rick.
      So why would anyone buy a dvd pak that cost a few thousand...or a monitor?

Comment

the lt1000 is a couple thousand, but it does some great reports. it also allows you to burn a dvd via your laptop or to just give a memory stick with the hq reports.

there are countless threads over the last couple years discussing using a laptop for a monitor.

the lt1000 is the interface that ridgid has designed.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

the lt1000 is a couple thousand, but it does some great reports. it also allows you to burn a dvd via your laptop or to just give a memory stick with the hq reports.

there are countless threads over the last couple years discussing using a laptop for a monitor.

the lt1000 is the interface that ridgid has designed.

rick.
          So a guy could copy the design if he changes it 10%? There might be a market for an aftermarket interface before long. Seems like it would be plenty of money in it.

Yes there are countless threads.....that tells me somthing. They are not making the products user friendly and are locking them into expensive connectors that only ridgid makes.

There is no reason why they cant have their cameras plug into a power supply and a laptop and have software for the laptop to run the camera and it not cost a few thousand. Basically Ridge wants to sell you a monitor or a cable that costs the same as a monitor so you can use your own. Either way they get ya. I smell aftermarket hardware and software being cooked

Since I dont specialize in drains and drain work the equipment is too expensive. Ultimately cameras dont repalce pipe and unless your trying to PROVE somthing to a customer or insurance company I dont see the big need for it here when sewers are so shallow. thats why I just want a sonde....just to help me locate what I already know is there..old bad pipe.

I would rather solve my residential customers problem once and for all by replacing the sewer. I've replaced countless sewers and still service the customers.....NEVER have had to clean those sewers I've replaced or helped replace dating back over 25 years.

ADD> Plus old threads that may have been true may be out dated info. New products come out and new cables and this and that all the time.
          Last edited by TheMaster; 03-08-2011, 12:12 PM. Reason: add

Comment

master, there are doctors that just want to operate on people and there are doctors that want to take an x-ray/ mri before they even think they need to operate.

a camera eliminates all the unnecessary and costly operations. plus it also allows you to home in on the exact spot of the repair.

unless you're superman and have x-ray vision, a camera is a necessity in order to properly diagnose the sewer and prevent unnecessary replacements.

anyone can dig and replace, but only the true doctors can diagnose and repair.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

So a guy could copy the design if he changes it 10%? There might be a market for an aftermarket interface before long. Seems like it would be plenty of money in it.

Yes there are countless threads.....that tells me somthing. They are not making the products user friendly and are locking them into expensive connectors that only ridgid makes.

There is no reason why they cant have their cameras plug into a power supply and a laptop and have software for the laptop to run the camera and it not cost a few thousand. Basically Ridge wants to sell you a monitor or a cable that costs the same as a monitor so you can use your own. Either way they get ya. I smell aftermarket hardware and software being cooked

Since I dont specialize in drains and drain work the equipment is too expensive. Ultimately cameras dont repalce pipe and unless your trying to PROVE somthing to a customer or insurance company I dont see the big need for it here when sewers are so shallow. thats why I just want a sonde....just to help me locate what I already know is there..old bad pipe.

I would rather solve my residential customers problem once and for all by replacing the sewer. I've replaced countless sewers and still service the customers.....NEVER have had to clean those sewers I've replaced or helped replace dating back over 25 years.

ADD> Plus old threads that may have been true may be out dated info. New products come out and new cables and this and that all the time.
              The idea of cameras, locators and sondes is to minimize sports digging when diagnosing problems. It is not always a matter of replacing old pipes. It could be a single fitting that is bad or a belly that is holding water. By using this equipment we can help the client make an informed decision.

You could build your own equipment and some have. However, there is more to these systems than just a camera and a monitor. The LT1000 is a sophisticated interface that controls a variety of tasks. The LT1000 with HQ Software is a very powerful tool for report writing and distributing your findings. In addition to that the LT1000 controls the lights on the camera and powers the sonde.

As far as cost, these are not like iPhones that fly off the shelf the second they hit the stores. There is a lot of R&D work involved and a limited market to support it. Bottom line, you can make your own system if you like but you cannot duplicate the durability and versatility of SeeSnake.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

master, there are doctors that just want to operate on people and there are doctors that want to take an x-ray/ mri before they even think they need to operate.

a camera eliminates all the unnecessary and costly operations. plus it also allows you to home in on the exact spot of the repair.

unless you're superman and have x-ray vision, a camera is a necessity in order to properly diagnose the sewer and prevent unnecessary replacements.

anyone can dig and replace, but only the true doctors can diagnose and repair.

rick.
                We dont work on people we work on pipes. You think a Dr. needs an x-ray to know why a guy who has smoked for 40 years is coughing and cant breathe? Ok enough with the Dr. thing.

When i run my cable through a drain and pull back roots...and then run my cable again and pull back more roots...and so on.....there is no need to camera the line. I know the problem. It has roots all in it. Why spend an extra 250.00 if your the customer to see it on a tv screen? Sounds cool and it is cool but do you really need to see it until I dig it out of the ground for you?

Sure a camera has a purpose I dont deny that.....I just think they are over used and over priced.

If I'm going to do a spot repair I can measure my cable to the problem area and replace that section.

ADD> The way I see it anyone can buy toys to look at problems and run cables down the line and jetters cut roots out of bad pipes but when you looking at 60' of sewer through the typical front lawn that 5' deep at the street the only guys who dont offer replacement are just wanting to milk the owners for the next 15 years.
                Last edited by TheMaster; 03-08-2011, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Re: Why Invest in a SeeSnake

A see snake is a diagnostics tool, roots are an easy diagnosis that yeah you may be able to find with a snake but what about a belly in the pipe that is collecting "debris" and grease how are you going to diagnose that with a snake?

Pipe lining would be near impossible without a camera, and sometimes is our clients best option. The see snake gives options, it is a tool that can save someone a lot of money, or let the client make an informed decision to spend money.

Comment

For the record i didn't start this thread....so disregard the title of the thread.

The title is misleading.

Comment

For the record i didn't start this thread....so disregard the title of the thread.

The title is misleading.
                      you're correct. it was started to keep another thread focused on the new products/ toys debuted at the trade show.

so what would you like to call this thread and i'm sure it could be changed by the moderator.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        A see snake is a diagnostics tool, roots are an easy diagnosis that yeah you may be able to find with a snake but what about a belly in the pipe that is collecting "debris" and grease how are you going to diagnose that with a snake?

Pipe lining would be near impossible without a camera, and sometimes is our clients best option. The see snake gives options, it is a tool that can save someone a lot of money, or let the client make an informed decision to spend money.
                        Pipe relining doesn't apply to me. Grease can easily be diagnosed with a cable. It will get hard and turn white.....and the cable comes back caked up with it. If a belly is collecting debris and causing problems my cable will open the drain at that point....if problems persist then you measure the cable at the point of the problem. Plenty of laid flat sewers have worked for years without problems.....again there are some situations that would benefit from a camera but not all.

If they were the cats azz everyone would own one. Alot of camera work is fluff work...and not needed. I've read a few posts lately complaining that their new equipment has failed....how much money is a broken camera making them?

Cameras are good for certain landscapes/under slabs........for open lawns with 60-80 year old pipe 2-6' deep I dont see the point.

Comment

We dont work on people we work on pipes. You think a Dr. needs an x-ray to know why a guy who has smoked for 40 years is coughing and cant breathe? Ok enough with the Dr. thing.

When i run my cable through a drain and pull back roots...and then run my cable again and pull back more roots...and so on.....there is no need to camera the line. I know the problem. It has roots all in it. Why spend an extra 250.00 if your the customer to see it on a tv screen? Sounds cool and it is cool but do you really need to see it until I dig it out of the ground for you?

Sure a camera has a purpose I dont deny that.....I just think they are over used and over priced.

If I'm going to do a spot repair I can measure my cable to the problem area and replace that section.

ADD> The way I see it anyone can buy toys to look at problems and run cables down the line and jetters cut roots out of bad pipes but when you looking at 60' of sewer through the typical front lawn that 5' deep at the street the only guys who dont offer replacement are just wanting to milk the owners for the next 15 years.
                          What option do you provide for the client that has a sewer line that runs under a nice concrete patio or through a garden that contains high end plantings perhaps across a road do you replace the whole thing? what if an application of rootx every few years will mitigate their problem rather than a 10k sewer line replacement? How would i be milking a client when in lieu of a 5 to 6k sewer replacement I can snake camera and apply rootx every 3 years at a rate of say 500 for the next 15 years totaling 2.5k? I guess I am milking my client then and getting them real good as opposed to blindly going in digging up their front yard and replacing pipe that my not even have to be replaced.

I have the equipment to excavate, trust me I don't mind using it either but it isn't right to upsell a sewer replacement blindly without #1 giving the client all their options and #2 SHOWING them why.

A camera system isn't that expensive I was quoted 8k for a full size 325' color reel with all the bells and whistles, you can get a micro reel which will most likely suit most needs for less than 3k.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                            What option do you provide for the client that has a sewer line that runs under a nice concrete patio or through a garden that contains high end plantings perhaps across a road do you replace the whole thing? what if an application of rootx every few years will mitigate their problem rather than a 10k sewer line replacement? How would i be milking a client when in lieu of a 5 to 6k sewer replacement I can snake camera and apply rootx every 3 years at a rate of say 500 for the next 15 years totaling 2.5k? I guess I am milking my client then and getting them real good as opposed to blindly going in digging up their front yard and replacing pipe that my not even have to be replaced.

I have the equipment to excavate, trust me I don't mind using it either but it isn't right to upsell a sewer replacement blindly without #1 giving the client all their options and #2 SHOWING them why.

A camera system isn't that expensive I was quoted 8k for a full size 325' color reel with all the bells and whistles, you can get a micro reel which will most likely suit most needs for less than 3k.

As I said...there are uses for a camera....but they are few and far between for a guy who doesn't specialize in drain work. A couple of guys can only do but so much work.....out of that work how many are drain calls that need a camera? very few...the payback would literally suck unless I screwed my customers by using a camera and billing them for it when I already know what the problem is......60-80 yr old pipe with roots in it and bad joints.

I think real answer here is this......you use your camera to show the customer how bad the line is filled with roots and cracks so they will allow you to replace the sewer. well I dont need a camera to prove it...my customers trust me and it makes sense when i tell them they basically have a flower pot for drain pipe with 100 yr old oak trees in the yard and it needs replacing.
                            Last edited by TheMaster; 03-08-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Re: Why Invest in a SeeSnake Monitor

Basically I'm complaining that ridgid doesn't sell a camera that will connect directly to a laptop without a 2,000.00 cord when i know damn well it could be done easier and it doesn't cost that much to do it.....but they want you to buy their monitor and dvd pak

Comment

Working...
                              X