Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rigid Disappointed Me

That's a bummer Dan.
    I'm sorry.
    I don't like it it when I loose a good tool.

Comment

IMO.. you are entitled to your opinion and allowed to express it!!! No one company makes the best of everything...if you don't believe me as K-60 users...using general wire cables....so if you had a problem...maybe somebody at Ridgid will listen...squeaky wheel gets oiled...sorry for the troubles...I walked away from this knowing I will need to be more careful with my camera...
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
        imo.. You are entitled to your opinion and allowed to express it!!! No one company makes the best of everything...if you don't believe me as k-60 users...using general wire cables....so if you had a problem...maybe somebody at ridgid will listen...squeaky wheel gets oiled...sorry for the troubles...i walked away from this knowing i will need to be more careful with my camera...
        rotflmao!!!!!!!!
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I know this would get into warranty issues, but if one were to say seal the electronics with silicone could it not help prevent this issue?

I would think that you could almost fill the entire unit with 100% silicone (except for the battery area) and the unit would still function when the silicone had cured and would make the unit damn near water proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            I know this would get into warranty issues, but if one were to say seal the electronics with silicone could it not help prevent this issue?

I would think that you could almost fill the entire unit with 100% silicone (except for the battery area) and the unit would still function when the silicone had cured and would make the unit damn near water proof.
            True, but any heat generated by any of the components would have nowhere to go...
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Re: Ridgid Disappointed Me

It would only seem logical to make a sewer inspection camera at least some what water resistant,
              since your using it around water, (it would seem to me like a major design parameter).

I would be disappointed as well, not saying who's fault it is, but still, it should at least be resistance to a quick dunk or a splash, or carried through the rain, with out damage, not saying it should be able to used 25 feet under water.

(I have a digital camera, that is a sport model, and it is water and dust restraint, not made for under water use, but is made for carrying hiking and if it rains it is designed to be OK, or rafting it could take a splash or two, and will not be damaged by getting dusty, or dirty,
              and the process is not that difficult, basically a few O ring gasketed doors and rubber covered buttons), (and this model is "armored" in that it has a rubber shell around ot and is a little bit ruggedized as well), it is a old kodak model).
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                It would only seem logical to make a sewer inspection camera at least some what water resistant,
                since your using it around water, (it would seem to me like a major design parameter).

I would be disappointed as well, not saying who's fault it is, but still, it should at least be resistance to a quick dunk or a splash, or carried through the rain, with out damage, not saying it should be able to used 25 feet under water.

(I have a digital camera, that is a sport model, and it is water and dust restraint, not made for under water use, but is made for carrying hiking and if it rains it is designed to be OK, or rafting it could take a splash or two, and will not be damaged by getting dusty, or dirty,
                and the process is not that difficult, basically a few O ring gasketed doors and rubber covered buttons), (and this model is "armored" in that it has a rubber shell around ot and is a little bit ruggedized as well), it is a old kodak model).
                I agree with this also. Any plumbing tool will naturally be expected to be near water and as such should be designed with this in mind. There are NEMA standards in connection with this and in my opinion it should have been designed to meet an appropriate standard such as NEMA 3 and then tested and certified.

Comment

the literature states 10' waterproof on the camera imager and extension when properly assembled.

remember that these low cost cameras were not specifically designed for plumbers and wet environments.

kind of a price point issue.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Even though your "sport camera" is water resistant...as you say....BHD....I'm sure if you dropped it and it submerged under water....you would be in the same situation.

I have a few digital cameras, cell phone, and a SS Micro....it has got wet during rain....none of them ever quit working. But I wouldn't submerge ANY of them to see if it was waterproof/resistant. Water resistant means will repel water to a certain depth... and that's it..so at some point will leak. WATERPROOF, like my Fluke Meter, means submergible for extended period of time...depth doesn't matter. You can get raindrops on it to some degree....and it won't hurt..as stated I have had that happen...raindrops...not submerging.

It was an accident as one member said. You have used it for several years....because if you waited for it to come out as you stated. Then it has served it's purpose...there is a newer model out that (while not waterproof far as I know) can record and take snapshots. I believe the heads from your old unit will work w/ it as well. Also, there is a reel that works w/ it as well....so you wouldn't have to attach the 3 foot lengths.

But as I said...all is not lost...put it in dry rice....cover up all the way..maybe it will dry out enough to work again. Did you take it apart at all ? To dry it out ?
                    Last edited by scruff24; 03-18-2011, 01:17 PM. Reason: Text added

Comment

Hi Scruff, Yes I did open it up and made sure it was completely dried out. This happened last week. I verified it is getting power and something on the main board is shorted out. I will be buying a new one when funds permit, been out of work for a while due to an accident, but still not happy about the original going out so easily. Never did find out what the cause of the clog was, just busted through it @ 16.5 ft, and no more drain problems.
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by scruff24 View Post
                        Even though your "sport camera" is water resistant...as you say....BHD....I'm sure if you dropped it and it submerged under water....you would be in the same situation.

I have a few digital cameras, cell phone, and a SS Micro....it has got wet during rain....none of them ever quit working. But I wouldn't submerge ANY of them to see if it was waterproof/resistant. Water resistant means will repel water to a certain depth... and that's it..so at some point will leak. WATERPROOF, like my Fluke Meter, means submergible for extended period of time...depth doesn't matter. You can get raindrops on it to some degree....and it won't hurt..as stated I have had that happen...raindrops...not submerging.

It was an accident as one member said. You have used it for several years....because if you waited for it to come out as you stated. Then it has served it's purpose...there is a newer model out that (while not waterproof far as I know) can record and take snapshots. I believe the heads from your old unit will work w/ it as well. Also, there is a reel that works w/ it as well....so you wouldn't have to attach the 3 foot lengths.

But as I said...all is not lost...put it in dry rice....cover up all the way..maybe it will dry out enough to work again. Did you take it apart at all ? To dry it out ?
                        Depth does matter. The deeper its submerged the pressure increases. Everything has a depth limit.

Comment

Originally posted by scruff24 View Post
                          the specifications say it meets, IEC529 Class 4 for water resistance and dust,
                          and this is the test as far I as I can find,
                          The IP54 (IEC 529) tests the product's protection against dust and water. To obtain IP54 certification, the product is subjected to dust and spray water tests. The dust test calls for the product to be placed in a dust test chamber and subjected to 8 hours of agitation. The spray water test subjects the product to 10 minutes of continuous water flow from 25 different spray nozzles.
                          http://ameradio.com/systems/certifications.html
                          my guess is it could take a quick dunking. I know this it would do much better than one that is not water restraint,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                          X