X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seesnake in line full of drain cleaner

Any thoughts on whether to avoid running camera in line that customer put a lot of drain cleaner in--was unable to clear with snake. ???

Re: seesnake in line full of drain cleaner

NEVER NEVER ...Acids will glaze the glass lense and probable screw with any wires in the head thats exsposed
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

That would be my thought, but owner's manual doesn't ever say that. It mentions drain cleaners in regard to personal safety, but nothing more. It says, "Determine . . . the presence of drain cleaning chemicals . . . If chemicals are present, it is important to understand the the specific safety measure required to work around those chemicals. Contact the chemical mfgr for required information." later, it says "Always wear eye protection (etc). When inspecting drains that might contain hazardous chemicals or bacteria, wear appropriate protective equipment, such as latex gloves, (etc) to prevent burns and infections."

The implication is that although they pose a threat to skin, there is not a concern with regard to harming the camera." But, like you, the reason I'm asking is you would certainly think it wasn't good. But my dilemma is that often they have already tried chemicals. Inside, I would imagine two-thirds or three-fourths of the time, they've tried chemicals already.

Comment

Buyfield it is my humble opinion but I woouldnt be too happy sticking the camera into known corrosives. It is amazing how the general householder believes every last word printed on the can of "magic drain-unblocking substances" and when you and I and all of the other professionals who come to this site open our mouths they dont want to hear and believe us. Years of experience dont count against the writing on the magic can. Henceforth my point is they wont pay for our equipment getting damaged by the "magic liquid un-blocker" so why shold you damage your assets on fixing theirs. I say over and over down here many plumbers are blinded by the dollars, they most always think with the wrong head. We are professionals and should be respected as such.
        Mind you when it comes to your H/O you dont have to be agressive, you just use the sympathetic lines like "that stuff just kills dolphins and is not GREEN Friendly" or "you just paid for the boss of whichever company his summer vacation". Play with the H/O and convince them that their money is wated on snake-oil fast cures. Convince them you are "THE MAN with the RIGHT SOLUTION" and at all times think not of what you are going to make om the job but rather what it is going to cost to fix your equipment. I presume many of us follow the Famous Rick and "Dont buy tools but rather INVEST in THE BEST AVAILABLE that we can afford".

Note:- I am not taking the piss out of Rick because I actually benefit from his and many other members through this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
          That would be my thought, but owner's manual doesn't ever say that. It mentions drain cleaners in regard to personal safety, but nothing more. It says, "Determine . . . the presence of drain cleaning chemicals . . . If chemicals are present, it is important to understand the the specific safety measure required to work around those chemicals. Contact the chemical mfgr for required information." later, it says "Always wear eye protection (etc). When inspecting drains that might contain hazardous chemicals or bacteria, wear appropriate protective equipment, such as latex gloves, (etc) to prevent burns and infections."

The implication is that although they pose a threat to skin, there is not a concern with regard to harming the camera." But, like you, the reason I'm asking is you would certainly think it wasn't good. But my dilemma is that often they have already tried chemicals. Inside, I would imagine two-thirds or three-fourths of the time, they've tried chemicals already.
          I would say if chemicals are present and you can't get it unstopped, then what's the difference if its stopped up as far as what do you do normally...I'm just saying, acids with etch stainless steel, eat chrome and copper and generate a tremendous amount of heat in a drain...camera equipment is not made for those conditions...I would not do it under any circumstances...IMHO
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

not all drain chemicals are acid based. but just the opposite.

the real hot stuff is typically an acid and the weaker more friendly stuff in a base.

i would be very cautious in putting my camera into most drain cleaners.

cables no problem.

rule of thumb, if i can't clear it with a snake or jetter,then the jetter would have flushed it out and diluted it to the point of a 7 on the ph 0-14 scale

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

If the drain is still blocked how can you see with a camera anyhow
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Do you mean see within the miry water, or see past the blockage. I was assuming the camera would illuminate well under water but maybe not. ??

Comment

if the water doesn't get stirred up, you can usually see pretty good up until the stoppage. plus you can always use the sonde for location and depth.

i've had many a sewer lines that were locate in the dark. of course draining the line to see the real problem is always best.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X