X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating

Thinking of moving up to stronger transmitter have the 5 watt seems to lack signal for some locates .
    Anyone know the differance between the 10 watt st-510 and the st-33q line transmitter which would work better for locates is their a differance or just price . Hate to buy the wrong one.

Re: Locating

5 watts is a lot of power for any locate unless you're going for several blocks.

are you sure you're grounded properly and have a proper frequency.

irguy will have the best answers.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by mbmplumbing View Post
      Thinking of moving up to stronger transmitter have the 5 watt seems to lack signal for some locates .
      Anyone know the differance between the 10 watt st-510 and the st-33q line transmitter which would work better for locates is their a differance or just price . Hate to buy the wrong one.

As Plumber Rick pointed out, getting a proper ground is very important, as is choosing the proper frequency for the job. There are some great locating tutorials on this site (grounding is one of them) and you may want to check them out before purchasing a new transmitter: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Utility-...g/EN/index.htm

If you do need to upgrade to a 10w transmitter, the ST-33Q generates a MUCH larger inductive signal and is a better choice if you do a lot of inductive locating.

Comment

I have one of the original NaviTrack Line Transmitters and it only has 3-watts or 1-watt depending on the frequency. I guess that is the price you pay for buying early. That said I have never really had a problem with it being under-powered.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I love the 5 watt brick. I've located old galvy water lines 4' deep and 250' away.
          Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
          Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
            I love the 5 watt brick. I've located old galvy water lines 4' deep and 250' away.
            So you use the brick and scout combo to locate water services etc..Can it trace a sewer (cast iron) that is ?? Thanks
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

if i run my sewer machine in a abs drain can i clip it on to the snake and locate it with the scout/brick combo or do i need something else? srry im new to locating

Comment

Originally posted by roadblock View Post
                if i run my sewer machine in a abs drain can i clip it on to the snake and locate it with the scout/brick combo or do i need something else? srry im new to locating
                I have a sonde that connects to my K1500 cables that my scout can find and I would think they have them their other sewer machine cables.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                X