Camera job turned into a nightmare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera job turned into a nightmare

Got a call from my partner Bill at 6:15 tonight and said he had a job that needed the sewer inspected. They had a national rooter company out a while back and said there was a separation at one of the joints and they wanted 5 grand to fix it. The home owner rented a jack hammer and busted up where they said the problem and nothing wrong in the 8ft of floor he busted up so he called to see if we could camera it and tell him where to break up before the rental had to be back Monday. We insert camera through rear outside clean-out push in 15ft and BAM wont budge. Couldn't go forward couldn't pull back the camera still showed the water running and could not figure why the thing was stuck. To make a long story short got the scout out and located where it was stuck and had the homeowner break up some more concrete to find that the cast had a crack/rot in the bottom of the pipe just wide enough for the ball guides to to fall down half way and wedge themselves in between the ribs of the balls and the split. 3 hours later finally had to bust the cast to get the balls loose. The worst part was with the water running it filled up the bottom of the pipe enough to make it seem like everything was normal but when it was stuck and the water off you could see the problem. The homeowner is going to have a long night ahead of him excavating so we can go back in the morning to replace the cast.
    Mike

Re: Camera job turned into a nightmare

sorry to hear that mike.

had a similar incident a few months back. sold my other trailer jetter to another plumber and he borrowed a warthog nozzle from me for a commercial job. calls me up to tell me the nozzle is stuck

meet him there the next day to figure it out and it was the same situation you had. fortunately i was ably to jet forward and managed to jump out of the hole. with the right quick tug, it jumped over the wedged hole and out i was

as long as you don't damage the camera, you're fine.

how you guys doing

say hi to bill for us

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

only thing
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Hi Rick, Were doing good, finding just enough work to get in trouble. How are Joey and the little one doing? Seeing from the photos she looks like she is growing fast and is looking just like her mother (Thank God )
        Mike

Comment

I want to ask a "what if" question.

What if the owner had said...."Well your just out of a camera because I'm not breaking my slab up" What do you do other than try to get it un-stuck? I guess you could bill the customer for the camera but billing and actually collecting is two different things.

Comment

Key is they hired him to televise the line. Just like they hire us to power rod their lines. If my equipment gets stuck in their line due to a defect, they have two options. First is to let me dig or the contractor of their chose dig and get my equipment back. The other options is they guy pay for the cable , or replacement of my pushrod and camera head. I have never had an issue collecting.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The owner was already breaking up his slab but you have a good question and after what happened last night we are thinking about writing up a waiver of some sort that holds the property owner responsible for any loss due to their damaged sewer or drain. Not sure how or what to put in it but will be talking to a lawyer friend of ours to see just what to do.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                Key is they hired him to televise the line. Just like they hire us to power rod their lines. If my equipment gets stuck in their line due to a defect, they have two options. First is to let me dig or the contractor of their chose dig and get my equipment back. The other options is they guy pay for the cable , or replacement of my pushrod and camera head. I have never had an issue collecting.
                I dont think you understand sir.....I said get outta my house and take what you can with you because I'm not paying you a dime more than I've already paid you and your not breaking up my floor......I guess you can sue me. So you sue him and win.....but he still doesn't pay.

Now what?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  I dont think you understand sir.....I said get outta my house and take what you can with you because I'm not paying you a dime more than I've already paid you and your not breaking up my floor......I guess you can sue me. So you sue him and win.....but he still doesn't pay.

Now what?
                  Now I put a lien on your home. Thats how it works in my state. Dunno how it works in Florida, or Alabama, or where ever it is you live sir.

Comment

Now I put a lien on your home. Thats how it works in my state. Dunno how it works in Florida, or Alabama, or where ever it is you live sir.
                    That still doesn't spend in the store does it.

Comment

That still doesn't spend in the store does it.
                      Well as I said In ever had an issue where I did not get my equipment back or collecting. You may have issues, but that probably the way you do business.

Comment

Well as I said In ever had an issue where I did not get my equipment back or collecting. You may have issues, but that probably the way you do business.
                        Kinda like you and the yellow pages huh? Just somtimes you get bent over. Probably just the way we do business.

ADD> I added to this post instead of keeping it going back and forth......but last you said was....."We went to court and my father didn't bring a lawyer after the Judge told him that he must and the Judge ruled against us".

Thats what you said before. Anyways....I'm done.
                        Last edited by TheMaster; 04-18-2011, 08:00 PM. Reason: ADD

Comment

In answer to the question what do you do now that it is stuck, the next step I would have done is pour a couple of bottles of dishwashing soap down the line to lube up the crack to pull the camera out. I also (myself not everyone) would have used another camera to push a c-cutter down the line to whip my camera out of the crevese it was in. I have been stuck before and these are just some of the things I have had to do. My camera goes home with me!
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Kinda like you and the yellow pages huh? Just somtimes you get bent over. Probably just the way we do business.
                            yea we got that all settled they finally realized the error of there ways.

Comment

Working...
                            X