X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could only have 1 reel.....

If you could only have 1 reel and were doing everything from some 2" and 3" PVC (no 2" traps) to 6" Clay, CI and PVC up to 150', which reel would you pick to have on your truck?

Just looking to see what others think.

The mini reel is quite a bit smaller but I seem to see a lot more of them out there these days (especially on ebay). My concern with the mini is its ability to be effective in 6" clay and CI. I have used the mini a few times in 6" clay and have not had issues with lighting/visibility. With the centering stars or guide balls it seems even better.

I know that the standard reel is money-in-the-bank for 6", but I have had some issues pushing through some short pattern 90's in 3" and up. (i have never even tried the standard reel in 2" with short sweep 90's).

thanks for your input!

-Chris

Re: If you could only have 1 reel.....

I got both
    if your sewers are 6"@ 150' you better get the full size.

Mini's good for 3-4" unobstructed plastic out to 200'.I've done 200' of 4" clay but it was installed properly with no offsets AND it was a considerable sloping downhill.

Ace Sewer has repeatedly pushed his mini way out through clay I'm thinking that has a bit to do with the straight shot out the basement instead of that first cleanout comby stealing the push.

Comment

Thanks. That's my first though too. I've had the mini pushed out about 150' in all 6" clay from a residential catch basin (grease trap) so there were no tough turns.

Isn't it the same push rod on both reels, just a smaller camera head? If so, shouldn't they push out pretty equally?

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
        Thanks. That's my first though too. I've had the mini pushed out about 150' in all 6" clay from a residential catch basin (grease trap) so there were no tough turns.

Isn't it the same push rod on both reels, just a smaller camera head? If so, shouldn't they push out pretty equally?

Push Cable Diameter
        Mini SeeSnake: .............0.315 in. (.8 cm)
        Standard SeeSnake: .....0.43 in. (1.1 cm)
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Push Cable Diameter
          Mini SeeSnake: .............0.315 in. (.8 cm)
          Standard SeeSnake: .....0.43 in. (1.1 cm)
          Thanks Mark. I was going by what "somebody told me."

Maybe it's that the mini is the same pushrod as the compact....that sounds more logical

Comment

Thanks Mark. I was going by what "somebody told me."

Maybe it's that the mini is the same pushrod as the compact....that sounds more logical
            Compact = Push Cable Diameter ....0.26″ (6.6 mm)

MicroReel = Push Cable Diameter ....0.265" (6.7 mm)

microDrain = Push Cable Diameter ....0.33" (8.3 mm)

It's not always the push rod diameter, it is also the push rod stiffness. I use my mini on almost everything and the Standard gets little use.

Mark

Comment

Do you work in 6" clay much?

thanks again for your input!

Comment

Do you work in 6" clay much?

thanks again for your input!
                Yes and I would use my mini if it was only at the saddle but my standard if the majority of the line was 6". However, If I could only own a single camera it would be a mini and I would make due with 6" lines.

Mark

Comment

Compact = Push Cable Diameter ....0.26″ (6.6 mm)

MicroReel = Push Cable Diameter ....0.265" (6.7 mm)

microDrain = Push Cable Diameter ....0.33" (8.3 mm)

It's not always the push rod diameter, it is also the push rod stiffness. I use my mini on almost everything and the Standard gets little use.

Mark
                  That's what she said.

J.C.

Comment

LOL Thanks JC, I know I can always count on you to keep the conversation at a mature (at least 7th grade) level!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      That's what she said.

J.C.
                      Funny enough I knew that was going to happen and my bet was it would be you.

Mark

Comment

Funny enough I knew that was going to happen and my bet was it would be you.

Mark
                        So sad that I have become a foregone conclusion. Must change myself. So hard to do.

J.C.

Comment

i too use the mini for the majority of my inspections.

i never installed my wheels on the full size. fits in the truck better.

the full size was my very first camera and was able to do 2'' as long as it was clean.

the mini does a great job in 1/5''-4'' and typically the 30' -40' of 6'' out from the sidewalk into the street.

for all out pushing, the full size is the one.

also plastic pushes much easier than cast. and clay is pretty slick too.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick.

So has anyone else used the mini in 6" clay over 100'. Most laterals here are 6" clay from the house to the street (and sometimes under the house too!)

I have rented the mini a few times and have been pretty impressed in 6".

My truck is small (so that I can navigate the city, park easily on streets and park securely in my garage at night). I am both a plumber and a drain cleaner, so I carry a lot of tools and supplies. My goal is to have a camera and locator on the truck that can do 90% of my inspections (both the big and the small). I don't have the $$ to buy multiple reels right now and I'm also trying to take the size of the unit into account as space is at a premium (Rick you may remember the 8' enclosed service body pickup that appleton Mike had for a short while....well it's since migrated south to Chicago).

I have seen a couple guys around me with mini reels but I do not know them well enough to ask them about their experiences.

The short term plan would be a mini reel and a LT1000 (the HQ software look dy-no-mite). The long term plan would be to acquire a plus reel and a microDrain/reel in the next 5 years as I build up a rep for inspections.

I have access to rental houses that rent the standard reel and the mini (both in B&W only) in case I would need a back up.

I already have procured a used scout from ebay to use as my locator.

So that's my dilemma....can the mini do 100'+ of 6" clay on a regular basis in addition to doing all kinds of other lines?

Comment

Thanks Rick.

So has anyone else used the mini in 6" clay over 100'. Most laterals here are 6" clay from the house to the street (and sometimes under the house too!)

I have rented the mini a few times and have been pretty impressed in 6".

My truck is small (so that I can navigate the city, park easily on streets and park securely in my garage at night). I am both a plumber and a drain cleaner, so I carry a lot of tools and supplies. My goal is to have a camera and locator on the truck that can do 90% of my inspections (both the big and the small). I don't have the $$ to buy multiple reels right now and I'm also trying to take the size of the unit into account as space is at a premium (Rick you may remember the 8' enclosed service body pickup that appleton Mike had for a short while....well it's since migrated south to Chicago).

I have seen a couple guys around me with mini reels but I do not know them well enough to ask them about their experiences.

The short term plan would be a mini reel and a LT1000 (the HQ software look dy-no-mite). The long term plan would be to acquire a plus reel and a microDrain/reel in the next 5 years as I build up a rep for inspections.

I have access to rental houses that rent the standard reel and the mini (both in B&W only) in case I would need a back up.

I already have procured a used scout from ebay to use as my locator.

So that's my dilemma....can the mini do 100'+ of 6" clay on a regular basis in addition to doing all kinds of other lines?
                              That's what I was worried about.The problem with the mini in larger pipe is the cable gets "Springy" and makes an S in the pipe thereby binding on the side walls.It won't push

Comment

Working...
                              X