Trying to get this staight; Micro Reel vs. Micro Drain capabiliities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get this staight; Micro Reel vs. Micro Drain capabiliities

Ok, I would like a camera that I can use to do a quick inspection after jetting with a trap hose in 1 1/2" or 2" lines. Especially restaurant drains where you have to navigate a 1 1/2" or 2" trap to make sure you removed all the grease when doing scheduled maintenance. I have heard it said by I think Rick that the Micro Reel will handle everything except toilet traps. I could be wrong I just thought I remembered seeing that somewhere.

Anyway, I need someone to give me very concise information on the two systems and what they will and were designed to do, such as 1 1/2" traps, 2" with multiple bends, etc. Any help would be appreciated. I very seldom would have a need to navigate a toilet trap.

Re: Trying to get this staight; Micro Reel vs. Micro Drain capabiliities

You guys have 1-1/2" floor traps?

Micro Reel will navigate a 1-1/2" PVC 90 but not a galv. 90 without risking a kink.

Only a Micro Drain can do a 1-1/2" PVC trap and even that is tough sledding.

Comment

Only once in a while and so that is not a huge issue. As long as I can navigate traps and 90's in 2" PVC I would be happy. There are other mini cam systems on the market that will inspect 2" pipe but won't do bends very well, so I have more or less settled on a Ridgid Micro system, just need to figure out which one would be the best for my use.

Comment

the micro reel will do a 2" pvc trap. need to show some care to not kink the pushrod. I'm used to the mini and the micro reel is delicate by comparison. mini will not do a 2" trap. 1 1/2" I've never tried but I think you'd be out of luck.

Think about what you are going to use for a monitor. You may or may not have seen the threads on the micro reel/explorer combo. It does not make enough light to see in cast iron, no personal experience but I think it is ok in pvc. abs, again no personal experience but i'd be suspicious.

I really like the cs 10 monitor. I bought two.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

the best all around 1 camera would be your 200' seesnake mini.

the mini will do 1.5'' and 2'' lines, but traps are always hit or miss. i try to avoid them.

the micro reel is a good camera and will do 2'' traps.

but as other have said, the pushrod is more fragile.

the micro lineup is a nice compact travel package, but i still go to my mini for 75% of everything.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

A big advantage with the mini is the 200 ft push rod if you kink it there is plenty left another is it has a more powerful transmiter. The micro has a smaller camera head then the mini. The best of both is puting the micro head on a mini with the mini transmiter but the micro head must hav a dead transmiter. We have done a few of them that way and they worked out well marvin

Comment

Thanks for all the help, guys.

We have a Mytana mainline system so we are good in 3" and up, out to 200' and I was thinking the Micro Reel with the Micro Explorer would be the ticket for the smaller lines. I have read the threads on the lack of light in 4" cast with the Micro Explorer, but with our larger camera system we would have no need to try to scope any 4" with the Micro. What I am looking for is the slickest way to take a quick peek in mostly 2" and some 1 1/2", mostly in restaurants but also some residential, mainly to verify that we have properly cleaned the grease from branch lines on kitchen maintenance jetting.

So, for clarification, you guys would prefer the Mini over the Micro for 2" with bends? Of course for restaurant applications we would often be navigating the trap on a floor drain. I just want to make sure we understand the equipment and its capabilities before spending any money.

Comment

Give the Micro Drain 65' a long look then. For multiple bends and durability you can't go wrong.

Comment

for the purposes you are describing, micro. the mini is more versatile but you are not looking for versatility, you are looking to fill a specific need. you'll be cursing the mini in 2" traps, where the micro will do them.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                  X