X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototek LF2200 or Ridgid Locator

I'm in the market for a locator. It will be used 95% of the time to locate sondes or my camera head in sewer lines. I'd also like to option to trace gas lines, water lines, etc, but this is not going to be my mine function. Locating sondes will. So far I'm looking at either the Ridgid Scout or going all out and getting the SR-60(for the passive search option).

I'm also looking at the Prototek LF2200. How does this compare to the Ridgid locators and how is the Ridgids different(if they even are). I'm realy looking for honest options, because I want to make the right buy. Here the link to the LF2200.

Prototek - Underground Locating Equipment for the Professional
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Re: Prototek LF2200 or Ridgid Locator

The scout is for sonde location and light duty utility location (light duty means it can do signal trace but takes more time and you need to really really practice with it to get good)
    Navitrack has a larger screen, navitrack has more choices of freq. to search for when doing util locates in areas where there are lots of bleed over signals from other sources. Sonde no problem!
    Seektech sr 20 does sonde, and if doing util locates has special mapping program that will see patterns in the ground that is helpful for when lines cross each other so you can stay on the line your after.
    Seecteck sr 60 does every thing the sr -20 does plus it also is like the navitrack and has more freqs to choose from for those really really hard locates where gas line crosses underground power and then crosses underground cable!
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

The Ridgid Locators are great. They do their jobs very well. The Proteck is also a great locator, and it is very easy to use. The learning curve on the Proteck is very small.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I have never used the Prototek Gear but have been using the Ridgid scout for a few years... The Scout does a great job with Sonde locating and 60 Hz electrical house services in yards. I'm starting a job in Mears next week, drive down and take mine for a test drive...

Comment

Nice offer Bill
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Will, how much experience do you have locating? You need to understand how peaks and nulls work and then you will see the beauty of the Ridgid equipment.

With most if not all of the "paddle" type locators, such as the Prototek, accurately locating sondes requires you to find the peak one direction, the null the other, mark it with an X, then walk a circle around it to find the orientation of the sonde. Some of the better ones have push button depth, others to find depth you have to find the crossing nulls on the circle, then mark a line from crossing null to crossing null across the X in the center, then do some triangulation to calculate the depth. This works OK out it an open area, but Murphy's Law says that more often than not your sonde will be directly under a giant lilac bush or under a wall which can really mess with your technique, not to mention your accuracy.

The Ridgid locators have multi-directional antennae which can "see" the entire signal all the time, allowing you to walk directly to the location of the signal. They are incredibly easy to use and eliminate many of the confusing aspects of other types of locators, especially in areas with interference where you can get false peaks/nulls.

We use a Metrotech 810 for all of our general purpose line tracing which is a very good locator, and we have a Scout for locating our camera head. We also have a Prototek "Ardy" wand locator that we carry on our septic truck for use with flushable sondes. It is OK but can be tricky and time consuming to locate the sonde depending on the site. I'm sure the 2200 is better but if my memory serves me right I called them when we were in the market for a sonde locator and they told me that the concept was essentially the same as our wand. We LOVE the Scout, it is very quick, easy, and accurate.

I truthfully can't say that I have any experience with the Prototek 2200, but my opinion would be that for the money you may as well buy a Ridgid and I'm almost sure you will be happy with it.

Comment

My experience locating ends with my witching sticks. I have used a Ridgid Scout maybe 3-5 times, but it was so long ago I don't remember how it worked. I've done all my plumbing up until a year or so ago in Texas about 70 miles north of Houston. The sewers there where so shallow you didn't need a locator. You just sent in the snake and had a helper listen for the sound and vibration of the snake in the ground or even just used a probing rode.

Here in OKC sewers are mostly 6'-10' (some are over 20') I need the locator now to find broken sections of sewers, to find the exist point from the foundation for cleanout installs, or to find the depth and location of the tap for sewer replacements.

I will be honest. I'm not the biggest Ridgid fan. I love there pipe fitting tools, but I feel like most of there other tools are of not as good of quality. That is why I'm looking at other locators, beside just Ridgids. So far it seems like everyone thinks Ridgids has the best locator. I'm just trying to research why they are before I buy.
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                The Ridgid Locators are great. They do their jobs very well. The Proteck is also a great locator, and it is very easy to use. The learning curve on the Proteck is very small.

Which one would you prefer? LF2200 or Ridgid Scout?
                Will Rogers Plumbing
                Moore, Oklahoma
                (
                405) 323-2852

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                  Which one would you prefer? LF2200 or Ridgid Scout?
                  I really like to get my hands on the LF2200
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I thought I read that in a earlier post that you like the LF2200 locator. Why is that? Is it more accurate, easier to use, or you fell it is better built, maybe your just more comfortable using it because that is what you learned on? Just wondering because I value your opinion and I'm leaning toward the LF2200 over the Ridgids.
                    Will Rogers Plumbing
                    Moore, Oklahoma
                    (
                    405) 323-2852

Comment

Working...
                    X