X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding waterlines underground

What do I need to do this? I have a seesnake and a scout.

Re: Finding waterlines underground

a back hoe or trencher usually works well,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

this is what i use.

NaviTrack Line Transmitter - RIDGID Professional Tools

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Plastic or copper?
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Copper. I've got one main shut off for a five building condo complex. The association is asking for a price to have a shut off for each building.

Comment

You have half of what you need, time for a transmitter to induce the signal for the scout to find. But you could wave the scout of the area and see if the water line is shown. On another post I told of a water line that was energized already by the grounds going to it so it's worth a shot to look with the scout while you are there.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

A pointed metal rod and a hand sledge usually finds it when you DON'T want to, maybe it will work when you DO want to find it.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Rick, I'm using a similar model, just bought it this winter and i am loving it. It is a great tool to have. SeekTech ST-510 Transmitter - RIDGID Professional Tools

Doing a large locate next week before a major outside repipe job. No other way to do it actually.

David

Comment

You need equipment that can give you high milliamp output and choices for frequencies. I am still playing with mine. There are so many variables. Dry dirt is a big plus. Also direct connection is helpful. My 5 watt sees me through many locates.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                    You need equipment that can give you high milliamp output and choices for frequencies. I am still playing with mine. There are so many variables. Dry dirt is a big plus. Also direct connection is helpful. My 5 watt sees me through many locates.
                    actually dry dirt a a HUGE minus.... the dirt acts as a consiut for the signal to travel through.... you want somewhat moist dirt to help carry the signal but not to wet or the signal bleeds very easily... its a fine line but dry dirt definetely is not a plus. if the dirt is dry when i am doing a trace, after i pound in my grounding rod hah i saturate the area direcly around it to help get a better signal. I had a close friend that worked for dig alert and he told me thats one of the tricks to use if they have a bad signal/connection

Comment

Originally posted by Matt T Service and Repair View Post
                      actually dry dirt a a HUGE minus.... the dirt acts as a consiut for the signal to travel through.... you want somewhat moist dirt to help carry the signal but not to wet or the signal bleeds very easily... its a fine line but dry dirt definetely is not a plus. if the dirt is dry when i am doing a trace, after i pound in my grounding rod hah i saturate the area direcly around it to help get a better signal. I had a close friend that worked for dig alert and he told me thats one of the tricks to use if they have a bad signal/connection
                      Yes you do want to wet the area only at the ground rod. The copper already being grounded is already bleeding current I to the ground hence the reason for the high milliamp output that you want to use. Why would you want to bleed the signal any further? Ground rod placement I feel is what is most key in this application. IMO
                      Last edited by Gettinit; 04-11-2012, 06:21 AM. Reason: misspell
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

So today I was trying to locate a water service at my friends house and none of the pipe is exposed outside the house. All I have is the service coming in the house at the meter to connect to. I hooked up the ST-305 using one cable but had no place to ground to that seemed to work. Tried inductive coupling but didn't get a strong signal that way either with the xmtr properly positioned over the pipe. I think part of the problem was buried electric lines which runs close by. The is the main running down the street underground only 15 feet from the house and then the service to the house which is also UG and not too far from the suspected water service location. What little trace signal I was getting on the water line was very distorted/fuzzy so much so I would not trust it and I could not get a believable depth reading either. Tried a couple frequencies with no improvement, but 1kHz worked best.

What is the best way to couple the xmtr to the line is a case like this and I am thinking that lowest frequency available (1kHz) is preferred since it is a good conductor and no breaks like water meter, gaskets, or dielectric unions to jump across.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                          Off the subject a little... If I got the 5 watt brick to go with my scout would I b able to locate push rod and sonde on micro reel? Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by LThompson View Post
                            Off the subject a little... If I got the 5 watt brick to go with my scout would I b able to locate push rod and sonde on micro reel? Thanks..
                            The rod would have to have a a wire in it to transmit your signal. A sonde that screws onto a push rod will have its own power source so you should be god there. As far as the sonde just make sure you get one that fits your needs and the receiver can pick up the signal.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

To locate the push rod with the transmitter you need one of the ridgid monitors that has the post on it that lets you hook the signal up, I think all the new monitors from the dvd pak on up have the post, the dvd lcd on back do not have the post.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X