X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to upgrade

I have a dinosaur of a camera/locator, a General Gen-Eye 2 with transmitter and VHS recorder.
    I connect it to a laptop to record now.
    The camera works fine, but I cannot locate past 15 feet down.
    Would a modern version locate in clay or cast iron 20 feet down underneath a sidewalk with other utilities nearby?

Re: Need to upgrade

I like my Vivax camera set up. I have never tried to locate that deep. I would think a 10 watt would do it though. Vivax is based out of California. 1-800-446-3392
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

honestly 15-20' deep especially with cast iron is not going to happen. the transmitter is not strong enough for that.

you need an external transmitter to tape on with a strong signal. and a backhoe

i believe prototek will have what you need in a tape on transmitter. they can also be used in a spring carrier for a push rod , cable machine or jetter.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Wow 20' is pretty darn deep! I've never come across a sewer that deep

Comment

I took another video of the pipe, and it is 6" clay, exactly 125 feet downstream, and 15-20 feet deep.
          I started looking at sondes, including prototek.
          The more I look, the more confusing it is.
          I'll call prototek Monday, but would a 512hz sonde with a scout work here?
          Also looking for a low learning curve

Comment

Check these guys out. They may be able to help you out. I would inquire about their duct hunters. Connected to a transmitter it locates like any buried wire from end to end. No hunting for a sonde. No back and forth while tracking. No wear and tear on an expensive camera.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

512hz is the frequency of choice for cast iron. of course it will also work for plastic and clay at a deeper depth than for cast iron as the cast absorbs/ shields the signal much more than clay and plastic.

the camera has the keen advantage of being able to pinpoint the exact spot of the problem. while it might be nice to energize the entire path of the pipe for tracing purposes, a dead on pin point is what you want when looking with a camera and locating.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                512hz is the frequency of choice for cast iron. of course it will also work for plastic and clay at a deeper depth than for cast iron as the cast absorbs/ shields the signal much more than clay and plastic.

the camera has the keen advantage of being able to pinpoint the exact spot of the problem. while it might be nice to energize the entire path of the pipe for tracing purposes, a dead on pin point is what you want when looking with a camera and locating.

rick.

With a little practice you will notice the drop in signal. Also I believe the offer a sonde attachment for the end if you really think you need it. Some manufacturers offer a similar product with a sonde where you can choose just to have the sonde on.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

the newer ridgid monitors allow you to connect a signal with a navitrack type transmitter to the monitor and trace out the camera cable. of course you use a different frequency than the 512hz and that then leaves you the 512 camera transmitter to trace the head.

unless you're trying to trace a line for digging purposes, the camera locate is still the most accurate of all.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
                    I have a dinosaur of a camera/locator, a General Gen-Eye 2 with transmitter and VHS recorder.
                    I connect it to a laptop to record now.
                    The camera works fine, but I cannot locate past 15 feet down.
                    Would a modern version locate in clay or cast iron 20 feet down underneath a sidewalk with other utilities nearby?
                    MyTana makes a booster that goes on right behind the camera head that increases the signal. I don't know about 20' though, you would have to ask them.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

20', we have sewers down 200'. Mind you they are mains not branches. I dont know if any are aware of quantity but until you work in a treatment station you dont know how much sh-t is produced in such a short time. Suppose the u-tube of the indian kid doing a main choke unblock starts the perspective

Comment

Working...
                      X