X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with 10 watt navitrack transmitter

Was using my 10 watt unit today and the familiar beep beep after making the ground and target connection was not there. I rechecked the connections and all was good. I thought maybe the ground circuit in the ground was bad and added some water to the area. Still no go. Then I tried switching over to the inductive clamp and the beep came back. Then I thought maybe one of my leads was bad so I hooked them together and the beep came back so that shows that the leads are good. I tried using the power cable instead of battery power but that made no change.
    Any Ideas? I use this every day.
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: problems with 10 watt navitrack transmitter

If its a water line...plastic. If its a wire....no ground. Anything more...I'm out.

Good luck.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Must be a full moon...............!!!

We did a locate yesterday on 40mm gal pipe, real old and totally stuffed. Couldnt get signal at first. Disconnected the logger installed on the meter by the Water Corporation to monitor for leaks(I found this one befoer they even got out of bed, useless gits). Got signal then all over the place. Changed the batteries over, fantastic. Mind you the original batteries were showing full charge. There are that many things going on everywhere now never know what is going to upset signals and increase the difficulty we all experience

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
        Then I thought maybe one of my leads was bad so I hooked them together and the beep came back so that shows that the leads are good.
        Your steps to troubleshooting the problem - especially using water to improve your ground - were all good. You obviously know your equipment well! I can tell you that if the beeping comes back when the leads are connected together then the entire transmitter is good, not just the leads; you definitely have an open circuit.

Comment

I think I have this solved (I think) It has not rained here in Seattle for over 2 months which I think is a record, I got the unit to work at my house but was faint, added water to the soil and it improved. My soil is topsoil and clay the place I was working was all sand so if I had soaked more area longer it probably would have worked. Rains are expected back soon and I can just return to normal procedures.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

My soil is topsoil and clay the place I was working was all sand so if I had soaked more area longer it probably would have worked. Rains are expected back soon and I can just return to normal procedures.
            That's a good idea and should improve your results. Another thing to consider is using a much longer grounding stake. If you do, be very careful not to penetrate any shallow utility lines (sprinkler lines for example).

Comment

Speaking of sprinkler lines,,,,,, I learned this one the hard way, some sprinkler systems have wires buried with the pvc water lines that operate valves and other things they call a zone, I think rainbird is the name anyway if they are energized they are easy to find but if off not so easy. Anyway just posting that some sprinklers have wires to watch out for.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I think I have this solved (I think) It has not rained here in Seattle for over 2 months which I think is a record, I got the unit to work at my house but was faint, added water to the soil and it improved. My soil is topsoil and clay the place I was working was all sand so if I had soaked more area longer it probably would have worked. Rains are expected back soon and I can just return to normal procedures.
                Tried to post this yesterday. This is my first post on this forum. In Florida we have very sandy soil. Depending on the time of year it can be very dry. I take a 3/4 piece of copper with a sillcock on the end. I connect to the building's hose bibb and sink copper into the sand about 3 feet.Leave water on and connect my transmitter. This gives me a great ground.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it next time. Welcome to the forum...

Comment

Working...
                  X