X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New skid...

Got a call to camera 125' of 15" pipe. All we have is a push cam made by Mytana and so we ordered this skid. It worked like a champ yesterday morning, you could see the interior of the pipe with very good resolution. We got larger wheels so we can go all the way from 6" to 15" pipe with it.
    Attached Files

Re: New skid...

seen them, but never really cared for them.

did you use a pull rope and was there adequate lighting for that size pipe.

what make of pipe was it?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
      Got a call to camera 125' of 15" pipe. All we have is a push cam made by Mytana and so we ordered this skid. It worked like a champ yesterday morning, you could see the interior of the pipe with very good resolution. We got larger wheels so we can go all the way from 6" to 15" pipe with it.

Looks bad azz what did it set you back ?

It's adjustable ?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        seen them, but never really cared for them.

did you use a pull rope and was there adequate lighting for that size pipe.

what make of pipe was it?

rick.
        I was surprised, the lighting was excellent. It was 15" PVC so the light blue helped out a lot.

I had to drop it down about 5' inside a standpipe riser and then get it to go into the pipe leaving the standpipe through a slidegate (sorry, hard to explain using irrigation terminology) so pushing wasn't an option. I towed it out with the jetter, then filmed coming back. It rolls very easily, we ran the jetter at an idle with a basic 6 rear nozzle to tow it out.

I had seen them but never had a use for one until this job, and I knew that I needed more light, so we looked around until we found what looked like it would suit our needs. And it did. Now we have it and will be able to take other large-diameter pipe inspections on as the need arises.

Rick, assuming you needed to inspect a larger pipe like that and didn't have a tractor cam, what would you have used?

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
        Looks bad azz what did it set you back ?

It's adjustable ?
        It's overpriced IMO but, my time being worth money, I couldn't build anything this well-designed for less. It cost like $440 + or -, I think $385 for the skid, another $42 for the light kit, and another $12 or something for the larger wheels.

It has a light spring that expands it, so you can collapse it down and stick it in and pipe 6" or above, and it will spring out to ride the walls of the pipe. There is a lanyard at the rear that you hook a light cable to, I used the one we use for PipePatch, and then if you get hung up on an offset or something you can push the camera and pull the retrieval cable and it collapses it back down smaller to help get it back.
        Last edited by SewerRat; 03-23-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Ridgid has a wheeled camera guide. Rarely used that. Typically my inspections are 6"and smaller. Once in a while 8" and 1 time a 15" storm drain but it was black corrugated pipe in that storm drain. I was more interested in the bottom debris after jetting. Black pipe is very difficult to see anything but defects. Black absorbs the light.

My jetter or fibeglass push rod will easily push out the camera.

I also have a jetter nozzle that pushes out my camera head in the front of the blast allowing you to still see ahead. But its 18gpm and 4000psi to run it.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

What powers the light kit ?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              What powers the light kit ?
              Good old batteries. They are like mini flash lights
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

What camera head did you use. The mini-reel camera is small for the cradle. Our mob here are charging a little more for the same thing but no lights

Comment

We have to Mytana color self leveling head, it is 1 ⅝˝ in diameter. Is that what you're asking?

Comment

Rick will correct me on this but I think that the Ridgid mini reel is a 38mm head. Bit small for this cradle but I know a couple of guys who have adapted. Can push in bigger pipe but not great distance but................!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X