Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has done line trace with the Scout?

I have a Scout. Thinking of investing in a brick. I would want to use it for primarily for locating residential water services (mostly lead and copper pipe 3/4"-1.5"). Occasionally would need to locate buried black steel gas services 1"-2". Can I do this with the brick and the Scout? I realize that I am probably better off with the navitrack, but I have the Scout now. May later invest in the navitrack or seektech.

Re: Who has done line trace with the Scout?

I use the Scout along side with the Brick. I rarely have a problem locating buried water services, copper or galvanized. Lead has been a bit more difficult to find. Steel gas locating is easy as long as there has not been a transition to plastic somewhere along the way. We rarely see a ground wire buried with old gas lines.

My biggest problem is, lots of our utilities are buried within a small confined area. Bleed off to other utilities is very common. I'm not good enough with the Brick to tune others out. It gets me close but I still dig with caution. Single lines in a wide open field are a piece of cake provided the ground is moist. I recommend buying a case of Duracel C batteries to carry with it.

I would gladly pay for a 4 hour class to properly use it's features, then I would feel more comfortable with my locations. The instructions and DVD video are not very intuitive.

Who would offer a class like that?

Comment

Have you checked out the youtube videos? I'm in the same boat as Swade, looking for a transmitter and have a Scout locater, what kind of brick is good...5 watt, 10 watt, yellow, red?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The Scout is a good locator with the brick it is a little slower but once you get used to it you will be an expert! You will probably only be using 33khz so a 5 watt is fine super long locates and using different freq is when you need the 10 watt. I like the yellow but red will do.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I use the 5 watt navitrac transmitter with the scout.

But like anything else you need to use common sense and weed out false locates. Unlike a camera sonde, transmitter that only gives you its location, the brick will energize just about everything with bleed over. Remember that the the plumbing is always grounded to electrical including the gas pipes. So one has to get depth readings and multiple locates to trace it out. Also trace with the transmitter from both ends. This will help with weeding out the different lines.

Spend the time and get different colored flags to help mark your findings. Even a litle digging will allow you to energize from a central spot and make sure its not another line.

I once had a gas line that ran several hundred feet through a large property and pool heater and guest house. I spent several hours tracing and marking even a little digging. In the end I was right. It went from steel to copper and even plastic. Nothing made sense until it was confirmed that the lines were all gas.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, why the 5 watt vs the 10 watt? Yellow or red?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have the 10 watt ST-510, it is a great tool. Unfortunately I still use the Scout, which limits the 510 in my opinion. The SR-60 would compliment the 510 nicely, if I ever get around to acquiring it. As for residential water line locating the Scout has more than earned it's keep. Several times it has located the exact entry point to a house saving us countless hours of digging. A recent job (slab house) had a copper tailout 30' away from the front hose bib. No way I want to guess unless I have to.

David
              Last edited by Dhal22; 06-25-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X