The show must go on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The show must go on

New customer from 2 weeks ago. Had a rear employee mens and womens toilet and sink along with kitchen plug up. Their original plumber bailed on them and left them without the use of the rear bathrooms.

The building is a 1940's along with the undergorund waste lines. But the inside has heen transfromed to a very exclusive Italian imported high end glass sculpted chandeliers and home accessories. Stuff that is not priced by appointment only.

They also rent out the front of their showroom for private parties and corporate events. So when they called 2 weeks ago, I was able to get there short notice. Remove a back to back lav trap and snake the line with my reverse auger k50 and cleared it at 13' in. But I did note that the line could easily back up because I didn't hit anything that I could bring back. I had also recommended a camera inspection if it does back up soon. . Well the party went on without a hitch.

So fast forward 2 weeks to today. Same problem and symptoms, but even a bigger corporate party with 600 big wigs and a setup like from a hollywood movie with all the lights, props, chef's and pr. Party starts at 6:00 pm and I was there at 9:30 am. Cleared the line at the same spot without bringing back anything on my reverse auger. Remember this is a 1.5" back to back lav running into a 3" common main.

So out comes the rm200 that I was able to direct down the back to back shared tee. Just as I had thought. What looks like a broken off piece of cast iron sitting in the line obstructing the flow. Problem is there's no way to grab it and to attempt to push it out would be another 150' plus the camera is only a 1" head in a 3" line to 4"to 6" lateral. So too risky trying to push it out and potentially cause an issue farther down into the main and affect the entire building. So I locate the 13' spot now at 16' and mark the floor in a storage area. At 2'4" deep. I then run my camera to a san tee buried cleanout at 71' in. 4'2" deep. Might be able to get my jetter down the drop and pull back to make it jump backwards into the tee upstream towards the pipe debris approx 55' back. This will allow me to jet it out of the pipe and into the open tee where I can snag it.

Meawhile with 600 executives showing up later, I determined that the sinks can be used in the rear, but not the 2 toilets until the debris get removed. No problem as the front of the building has a set of restrooms fit for the executives who will be attending.

Meanwhile the show must go on and my phone hasn't rung yet. 6:35 pm.

Rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-18-2013, 08:39 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: The show must go on

• Send New Private Message
    Errors

The following errors occurred with your submission

• PLUMBER RICK has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Hmmmmm.....
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Comment

Trying to jet back? Wouldn't that be a big mess, why not force it down with a good forward facing nozzle? And or with a helper dumping buckets of water down a toilet after u get it in the three inch.

Comment

Actually by jetting it from the 71' mark, I can easily flush it out with all rear jets or if I can get my root ranger into the san tee from the co it will blast it out to me. A forward facing jet from the 1.5" lav tee will not have enough forward thrust to push it out to 71'. Not a big enough co opening to drop in my forward root ranger.

I guess all is well as the phone didn't ring last night. Glad I trusted my instincts and camered the line yesterday.

It's always better to jet upstream when you can. Problem is it's rarely possible, except for area drains.

Robert, when's the mongoose showing up?

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

2ish weeks

Comment

Working...
            X