Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MicroExplorer Charger Bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MicroExplorer Charger Bad?

    Is there any way to know if a MicroExplorer charger is bad.

    Out of nowhere, you put the battery on and it shows a red light (normal-like it's charging) then after a minute or less the light goes out. Doesn't go to green and doesn't charge the battery.

    I know the battery could be bad. It showed no real decrease in performance that I noticed. Just the above problem started happening.

    Thanks for any input owners or Ridgid.

  • #2
    Re: MicroExplorer Charger Bad?

    I have the explorer charger in the truck. Mine does that if the 12v. plug isn't pushed in just right. Not the accessory outlet but the tiny connector on the charger.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: MicroExplorer Charger Bad?

      Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      I have the explorer charger in the truck. Mine does that if the 12v. plug isn't pushed in just right. Not the accessory outlet but the tiny connector on the charger.
      Thanks. I'll double check that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: MicroExplorer Charger Bad?

        Still the same problem. Plug is seated correctly in the charger and the wall.

        Put the low charged battery on the charger, red light comes on, about 10 seconds, the light goes out. Battery still not charged.

        So what's giving the problem? Is there a way to test the charger? Is the charger warranted?

        Or is it the battery and it needs replacement?

        Thanks Ridgid or anyone that has the answer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: MicroExplorer Charger Bad?

          Charger tests with multimeter to be putting out around 15 V DC.

          Battery shows a charge of 4.0 V. Battery rating is 4.4 ah/3.7 V.

          Battery indicator on screen when in MicroExplorer shows almost dead.

          Any input?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: MicroExplorer Charger Bad?

            Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
            Charger tests with multimeter to be putting out around 15 V DC.

            Battery shows a charge of 4.0 V. Battery rating is 4.4 ah/3.7 V.

            Battery indicator on screen when in MicroExplorer shows almost dead.

            Any input?



            Call Ridgid support in Ohio I've always had good luck.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: MicroExplorer Charger Bad?

              Ridgid says replace battery. Ok, no problem.

              Just to finish out the story though. So a friend has a load tester. Remember, meter shows 4.0 V on a 3.7 V rated battery. That doesn't really mean anything 'cause you can get a good charge showing in a battery that won't hold load.

              So we test it and it says "Replace". Cool with me. I just didn't know which to replace. The charger or the battery. Now I know.

              I get back and put the battery on the charger just as a place to keep it really. Well, the red "charge" light comes on....and stays on. Battery stays on for a long time with the red light on (typical for this setup) and then goes green an hour +- later.

              I have no expectations of anything but dead but I went and put it in the MicroExplorer anyway. Now it shows a full charge! WTH? No complaints though if something that hasn't been working begins working. I'll put it through it's paces soon enough to see how much of a charge it holds this time.

              Comment

              Working...
              X