2" CI ptrap--camera?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" CI ptrap--camera?

Have had the mini for 3 years. Need to go through 2" CI ptrap. was five minutes away from calling AJC to order a microdrain 65, but thought i better check the forum real quick. Hour and a half later, and much to my surprise, the consensus appears to be that the microdrain is not very good at getting through 2" CI ptrap. It sounds like it stands the best chance of getting through, versus anything else, but not a very good chance. i need to locate where to jackhammer more than i need to actually see, but would be nice of course to see and to know how deep. But it sounds like the majority of the time i will not get through, and might regret trying. I have been referring it out all this time, but happy to go ahead and spend the money and get the microdrain 65, except that sounds like quite often i will not succeed--and then what? what do i tell people--"will try, but may not succeed"?

Here’s the forum quotes:

It may be able to do 2” CI no hub, but “Old CI, forget about it.”

“Can be difficult to impossible if the interior is scaled up.”

Microdrain “in cast . . . will be a PITA.”

“2” CI trap I can’t get through.”

“Just know you won’t be able to go down every trap.”

“2” cast p-trap . . . I get through the majority of them without a problem.”

Re: 2" CI ptrap--camera?

i have the sr60. maybe the answer is to learn how to trace the line. just thinking.

Comment

AJ sells a sonde carrier for the K50 cable that will go through a cast iron ptrap. A lot easier to pass through when you can spin the cable
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

"I have been referring it out all this time"

What are they using to get it done ?

Comment

thanks, Gear Junkie. i looked at this (the sonde) as an option earlier today but they just didn't look like they would go through the trap. instructions for it are minimal. would be nice if they addressed what sizes they could handle. i would imagine that spinning one of these through a cast iron trap would destroy it in short order, but if it gets through easier than a microdrain, then maybe it's the way to go. do you have one and do you run it with k50 thru 2" ci ptrap?

also, two or three of the quotes above are yours--so how many times would you say you have been able to get thru 2" ci ptrap with the microdrain and how many times have you been unsuccessful, rough guess?

what about coating the camera with half a bottle of dishsoap?--something like that.

thanks!!
          Last edited by buyfield; 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

RE: referring it out, and what they have been using, I don't know--good question. I am hoping that if it can be done, Ridgid would be the one to do it--but maybe not. I'm not really itching to get another camera other than for the ptrap, so it can't do the ptrap, i might just let the mini (which i love) suffice.

Comment

I have both the sonde carrier for the 5/8 and 7/8 cable along with the D65S. The D65S I've never been able to get through a CI trap...however, have gotten the sonde carrier through it pretty easily....I think I've needed it maybe 5 times. Never tried the dishsoap. Truthfully most of the small lines have so much crap in them you need to snake or jet them before inspection otherwise you can't see a thing as the . The D65s also has the disadvantage of no distance counter for distance estimation. The sonde carrier is easy as it's the sectional cable. I used a magic marker on the d65s cable to mark distance and it really helps out. Third option is sending a cable through and using a transmitter to locate the cable.....never done this but it should work....maybe someone else can talk on this?

Truthfully I'd get all 3. I really like the D65S, it's just a great camera and the sonde carriers are cheap enough to need in that once in awhile. Ask for kirk when you call AJ and tell him Ben from california sent you.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                I have both the sonde carrier for the 5/8 and 7/8 cable along with the D65S. The D65S I've never been able to get through a CI trap...however, have gotten the sonde carrier through it pretty easily....I think I've needed it maybe 5 times. Never tried the dishsoap. Truthfully most of the small lines have so much crap in them you need to snake or jet them before inspection otherwise you can't see a thing as the . The D65s also has the disadvantage of no distance counter for distance estimation. The sonde carrier is easy as it's the sectional cable. I used a magic marker on the d65s cable to mark distance and it really helps out. Third option is sending a cable through and using a transmitter to locate the cable.....never done this but it should work....maybe someone else can talk on this?

Truthfully I'd get all 3. I really like the D65S, it's just a great camera and the sonde carriers are cheap enough to need in that once in awhile. Ask for kirk when you call AJ and tell him Ben from california sent you.
                Gear I have used the cables lots. Did it recently to a ral cracker of a problem Hard on the back but works. I use a split-box which is the best and most reliable I have found. Not always successful but 99%isnt a bad effort. I don't have the Ridgid transmitter but I wonder if it would be different- have to wonder until I can borrow one and test it out.

Comment

"The D65S I've never been able to get through a CI trap...however, have gotten the sonde carrier through it pretty easily."

Woah--that's pretty definitive, Gear. will order sonde from AJ this morning. i have no doubt that D65S is great, but if i can't get through a trap, will continue to try to make do with mini.

Cleanmen2, i have and use a split box. i'm apparently not real good at it because up close to the transmitter can't figure anything out and with cast iron it bleeds over into everything else--all the rebar, i guess (I know, different forum--will post there). But have been successful with it many times. very successful in plastic. Thanks for the input, both.

Comment

I would still get the D65S....most broken lines I see are the 2" cast iron lines. I use the D65S all the time and wonder how I ever did without it. Just to be clear, I'm using the sonde carrier with a K50
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sometimes I just run the snake through then hook the ridgid transmitter to the cable, unplug the power to the snake and trace it that way with the locator. Hardest part is getting a ground but usually just running water is enough to make the circuit.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                        Sometimes I just run the snake through then hook the ridgid transmitter to the cable, unplug the power to the snake and trace it that way with the locator. Hardest part is getting a ground but usually just running water is enough to make the circuit.
                        When inside I run an extention cord outside for ground. Just make sure you hook on the same wire on both ends.
                        Running water good idea.
                        Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

When you call Allen J Coleman, pick Marvin's brain. He can tell you plainly what will and what will not work.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          Ron's Facebook
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

thanks SewerRatz, Kirk was going to ask Marvin about it. one thing Kirk said is that he recommended a different brand sonde that's protected in a carrier. i missed the shipping deadline friday so still have the weekend to decide. i'm leaning toward abandoning the sonde and just tracing the line.

But as to ground, cuda, are you saying running water down the drain? what i do is connect the ground lead to an extension cord, as Kol15 mentioned, and that seems to work ok. So--does running water down the drain somehow accomplish the same thing that i've been accomplishing by running an extension cord out to the dirt? Ridgid manual for their tracers say that long ground leads cause interference—hmmmm.

GearJunkie, i thought long and hard before i got the mini, 3 years ago, and was hoping it would suffice for 2" ci. i have had pretty good success in 2" ci with it, but you're saying, obviously, if i had both to choose from, i would reach for the D65s with 2"--so what do you like about it over the mini in 2" ci? it takes me (a one man operation) a long time to pay for anything like this, and it's more to store, and my general mentality is that if the mini will basically do 2" ci, then i would make do with it. is it just convenience of transport, ease of pushing, or is it that the d65s will end up going further in, or negotiate tight bends that the mini will not? perhaps you will persuade me. i would rather be persuaded now than in 3 years, so persuade away! Maybe the reason i should get it is that it does plastic ptraps just fine (right?), and there's plenty of that around. if the 65 drops down a san tee better, maybe that's a compelling enough reason for me. ability to go thru toilets--not sure how compelling--not going to be driving around with the monitor and camera usually for stopped up toilet calls (pickup, not van). but again, rather be persuaded now than in three years.

back to the problem at hand, 2" ci trap--sounds like tracing the cable would be my preferred solution. i have a split box, which doesn't work well, of course, too close to the transmitter. i also have the sr60, which i bought 3 years ago with the mini, per advice from this forum. probably, if i knew how to take full advantage of it, i could do some amazing line tracing. it locates the mini's sonde of course with unbelievable accuracy--dead on to the inch--perfect. but for line trace, i do not have brick or whatever else they have. perhaps time to get a brick and a d65s. the advantage of the sonde over the line trace is no air coupling.

Who would have ever thought the trouble a 2” ci trap could cause? Why didn’t they just add a vent? Come on people!!

Will call Marvin Monday and pick his brain.

You guys are amazing—thanks!!

Comment

I have the NaviTrack Brick line transmitter which does jump over to other things that are metal. Not always good in all areas. The manual says not to be to close to the transmitter and even more so in the inductive mode(a good 30ft). Not very good if you are trying to trace something close.
                              I like the sonde very much as I see you do also. I think this is the most accurate way to go even if you have to run a cable through the cast iron to "smooth out" the pipe before sending in the sonde.

It will be interesting to hear what Marvin has to say.
                              Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Working...
                              X