Transmitter Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmitter Question

On my transmitter I can't find a pos + or a neg - terminal on the leads. (clips) If checking the hot water pipe , Can I connect one clip to the hot water and the other to the cold ? OR If I use the IC drain as the neg (ground) how do I know I am not locating the drain and not the hot water pipe ?
    Last edited by sewer rat; 11-21-2013, 12:11 AM.

Re: Transmitter Question

I don't know, sorry.

Comment

Hey Rick need help, please...

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
        On my transmitter I can't find a pos + or a neg - terminal on the leads. (clips) If checking the hot water pipe , Can I connect one clip to the hot water and the other to the cold ? OR If I use the IC drain as the neg (ground) how do I know I am not locating the drain and not the hot water pipe ?
        The two leads are interchangeable so positive negative does not matter as long as one goes to ground.
        One clip to hot and one to cold? No reason to do that.
        If you hook to a drain as a ground your results may not be accurate. It may use the plumbing water as the ground because it is grounded to the electric system then allow drain detection but also might not.
        What you need to do is watch the Ridgid youtube videos. Tracing is hard enough to do you need to make the connections as short and as simple as possible to get an accurate locate. Remember you ARE NOT tracing the target item you are tracing the signal you have induced.

If you don't have a ground then you either use wire to make it outside to ground or you use an inductive clamp or set your transmitter over the line if your transmitter does inductive. Inductive is not as accurate as direct connection but sometimes that is the way it is. Tracing has a bit of a learning curve and getting familair with your equipment is the first stage.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

The best way to learn to locate is to trace a line that you know exactly where it is, then move over a foot and notice the readings, your signal strength will reduce, then compare to when you knew you where over the line this will give you a good basis to compare to lines you do not know. I used to walk up and down my block tracing every line I could at different freq. just to see and practice. People looked at me but when you wear an orange safety shirt they just look away lol
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thanks for the tips, the orange vest should work out in my hood. I was reading that the connections need to be as long as possible, maybe I need to reread the manual again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
              The two leads are interchangeable so positive negative does not matter as long as one goes to ground.
              One clip to hot and one to cold? No reason to do that.
              If you hook to a drain as a ground your results may not be accurate. It may use the plumbing water as the ground because it is grounded to the electric system then allow drain detection but also might not.
              What you need to do is watch the Ridgid youtube videos. Tracing is hard enough to do you need to make the connections as short and as simple as possible to get an accurate locate. Remember you ARE NOT tracing the target item you are tracing the signal you have induced.

If you don't have a ground then you either use wire to make it outside to ground or you use an inductive clamp or set your transmitter over the line if your transmitter does inductive. Inductive is not as accurate as direct connection but sometimes that is the way it is. Tracing has a bit of a learning curve and getting familair with your equipment is the first stage.

Another senior member with words of wisdom . Tracing is not a walk in the park so as to speak. It is worse when you have customer on your six telling you what you should be doing as well. Good luck and follow your gut too.

Comment

Working...
              X