Possible infrared Camera deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible infrared Camera deal

I had been considering a thermal imaging camera for a while to find wet spots in concrete basements and garages, but the more I read the more I realized that I needed to spend 5k for one and I could not justify it (kinda like the first sewer camera purchase after you have one you find ways to use it to make even more money) anyway here is a link to a story that pretty well tells the story.
    Flir E4 Thermal Imaging Camera Can Be Modified for 16X the Resolution! | ToolGuyd

Be advised that the company may change the firmware at anytime and this may no longer work. As of Today it does work. The units can be had on ebay for offers of $925 with free shipping at this time. They are not for everyone but there are so many uses for a plumber it is not even funny.
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Possible infrared Camera deal

So how could I use one?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Finding concrete slab leaks, finding joist area leaks, checking the bearings on the trailer for heat needing a repack, checking the house you live in for heat loss. i need one for water infiltration diagnosis but the key is that it is the same tool as there 5k tool for less than 1k with a software modification.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
        I had been considering a thermal imaging camera for a while to find wet spots
        When I want to find the wet spot I just dust a little flour around the area...

Comment

I'd like one for frozen pipes and possibly even to determine the exact location of a clog in exposed pipes.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
            When I want to find the wet spot I just dust a little flour around the area...
            But the water may just come up a cracked area or thinner poured section and the real leak may be many feet away the thermal will show the cold or hot spots to make the decision of where to open the floor at more accurate.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Did you pull the trigger on it Cuda? I have been looking at the Milwaukee gun for a while. I have several uses for too. Thanks for posting this. Well worth consideration.

Comment

Yea I bought it! I just will not let the unit update when I have it plugged into my computer to retain the better settings. This has better specs than the M12, the M12' are around $2400.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Just to confirm the software that goes into the e4 camera with the recent updates allows the camera to exceed the flir e8 series ($5k) I now have zoom x 8 and additional controls over tempurture lock that enable the camera to do the work of a 7k camera. The only thing my camera lacks that the 7k cameras have are a higher fps that would allow for making a video instead of still shots and i do not have wifi. You can see radiant heating tubes in a slab clearly, I can see the studs in a wall, I have found a roof leak at a friends business. A firmware may be coming up that will eliminate the mod so you must ask if it is 1.19 or lower as of today. Buy at your own risk.
                  Last edited by Cuda; 01-04-2014, 09:33 PM.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Hack is over as of 2-15-14 new firmware prevents any enhancement, only older e4 units can be done at this point. Prices for the older units are at double retail price on ebay now.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                    X