X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cs10 long term; brief review

I've had two of these for (I think) ~2 1/2 years now. I just had my first failure; the funny rivety thing the flip up shade/cover pivots on failed. I replaced it with a pop-rivet; back to work!

Otherwise just does what it's supposed to.

I have some minor complaints. The beeper could be less shrill. It could charge its batteries when plugged in (yeah, that's the trade-off for using cordless tool batteries... I'd rather have a dedicated battery in it that charges itself, but that's me). It could be a little less persnickety about being turned on and off and requiring me to be patient while it boots up and shuts down. I've got a personal problem with chicklet buttons, but none of these have failed. It has an odd habit of burying recorded vids deep in a succession of folders on a jump drive where they are hard to find until you get used to them being deep in there.

I'd like to emphasize the pettiness of my complaints. I'm hard to please and can find fault with anything. Those things above are the worst I can come up with about these monitors. That is high praise.

Long story short; rock solid, dependable, laugh at the minor (and occasional more major) abuse I subject them to. Excellent piece of equipment. Money well spent.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: cs10 long term; brief review

I love the cs6. batteries last a long time and my removable 8gb thumb drive holds more videos and stills than I would have imagined. hq reporting software is the way to go.

sure I still have the dvdpak, but I love the digital hq reports I email out to customers and they respond. a video seems like they never watch it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I had problems downloading video. It would download everything but say the video file was corrupt. Then it happened a 2nd time. Then I found out that the brand new flash drive was the object that was corrupt and not the CS10.
      Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

I think I'm a bit more anal than you so here are my minor issues with the CS10.

The mic defaulting to always "on" once booted up as sometimes things are said that shouldn't be on the recording.

There needs to be an option to turn on/off the overlay info as it sometimes is in the way of seeing.

No internal memory.

It's slow to boot on/off but I guess it's still faster than my PC

Other than that it's been great going on 2 years.
        Last edited by AssTyme; 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

the mic on doesn't bother me. I usually commentate vids so I like it that I don't have to remember to turn it on.

internal memory would be nice. And shouldn't really cost anything. look how cheap solid state drives are now.

you can turn off the overlay... i'll figure out how to do it again and post.

that brings up my other complaint; the manual is crap.
          Last edited by Ace Sewer; 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            the mic on doesn't bother me. I usually commentate vids so I like it that I don't have to remember to turn it on.

internal memory would be nice. And shouldn't really cost anything. look how cheap solid state drives are now.

you can turn off the overlay... i'll figure out how to do it again and post.

that brings up my other complaint; the manual is crap.

I was told over a year ago that there would be a firmware update to possibly address the mic & overlay issue.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              I think I'm a bit more anal than you so here are my minor issues with the CS10.

The mic defaulting to always "on" once booted up as sometimes things are said that shouldn't be on the recording.

There needs to be an option to turn on/off the overlay info as it sometimes is in the way of seeing.

No internal memory.

It's slow to boot on/off but I guess it's still faster than my PC

Other than that it's been great going on 2 years.

I had a customer call me for an estimate to repair/replace her sewer. She had a local guy out that owns a plumbing supply and service shop, and he made a video for her on VHS( yes this was a while ago). So we go over and the lady of the house puts the tape in her VCR and starts playing it. I only seen a couple dangler roots at the 4x6 joint. Other than that there was nothing wrong with her sewer. As we were watching the tape I noticed there was sound, so we turned up the TV, and you can hear the guy that made the tape saying " We will get this Bi*** for every penny she has."

Needless to say she was a tad upset. She explained to me she had one of the rooter shops out and they rodded her sewer and got the line open. Then the rooter boys told her that the sewer was in bad shape and gave her a price to replace it, they did not camera the line. So then she called the local supply/service shop to televise the line. He told her a whole new line needed to ran from the house to the city sewer in the middle of the street and a new stub/tap needed to be put in place. So in her due diligence she wanted a third estimate.

This is were I come in, I explained to her the only bad spot she has is at the 4x6 joint since that is were the roots are coming in at. I also told her its normal to have roots come in at joints like that. I also walked her through the whole video explaining how each joint is in great shape including the stub. So I told her in my opinion it wouldn't be a bad idea to dig up the 4x6 joint which is just the 4" iron slide in to the 6" clay with a bunch of cement around it. And while we are there we would install a 6" cleanout for her. We got the job, and she has been a happy and steady customer ever since.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

From Eric Thomas:

Hey Ace,

If you go to 'Settings' > 'Edit system settings' > 'Control Reel Overlay', you should be able to toggle the time/stamp there. This is assuming that you are using a SeeSnake reel with a CountPlus.

Cheers,
                Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  From Eric Thomas:

Hey Ace,

If you go to 'Settings' > 'Edit system settings' > 'Control Reel Overlay', you should be able to toggle the time/stamp there. This is assuming that you are using a SeeSnake reel with a CountPlus.

Cheers,
                  Eric

This will remove the green colored overlay on the bottom of the screen ?

Will check this out.

ThanX
                  Last edited by AssTyme; 01-15-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I have used the cs10 for at least a year if my memory is correct. I have found the ease of use, the screen size and having two batteries on board is awesome. When i have had a problem it was related to a bad thumb drive or it was getting full.

It is amazing how spoiled we have become compared to the monitors of just a few years ago, the older brief case or the older glass screens and all the glare that occurred. Each generation keeps getting better!!

Comment

Have you tried the cs6? And if so how does it compare to the cs10?

I went from the dvdpak to the cs6 and never picked up the dvdpak since.

Amazing little monitor and thumb drive memory stick.hq software rocks and I have a library of sewer reports, videos and stills on my computer.

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X