Time for a 325' reel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for a 325' reel

Biggest reason for a 325' reel is cost. The first 60' takes the biggest beating. The cost of a reterm is way cheaper then buying a new push rod. My average push on a sewer is between 70-120'.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gear junkie I love my fullsize self leveling. Pushes out with ease. I bought a used reel. Its a huge reel though. Theres a color fullsize camera head on ebay for 400 for Plumber Ricks offer.

Hey do you guys know if a mini reel color head can replace my b/w head for my compact. Im looking to upgrade to color and see theres mini head on ebay for a decent price. I know I may have to change the spring to fit the slightly bigger head.
      Last edited by northstar; 03-17-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Biggest reason for a 325' reel is cost. The first 60' takes the biggest beating. The cost of a reterm is way cheaper then buying a new push rod. My average push on a sewer is between 70-120'.
        U know what? That makes a lot of sense. .even if you needed to d o a couple re terms there'd be still plenty left.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          That's how my reel started out. 325' and over the years it has been getting shorter.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

My original seesnake started out as 75 meters and is still 75 meters. That's 246' for those here in the usa.

I believe that was back in 1995.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              My original seesnake started out as 75 meters and is still 75 meters. That's 246' for those here in the usa.

I believe that was back in 1995.

Rick.

Did you retire it to your museum after several months of use ?

Comment

no I didn't. there was nothing out there to upgrade too for a few years. this was before ridgid got involved. before color, before 512 sondes. took a few years before I purchased a seesnake mini.

over the years, I tried a few off brand cameras and those were junk. pretty well useless. 1 of them they actually bought it back.

of course along with cameras, came the endless purchases of locating equipment.

so 19 years later, my camera of choice is the rm200, cs6 digital monitor and sr20 locator.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

What locator? lol just kidding
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

what made you buy the standard over the newer RM 200 ?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      no I didn't. there was nothing out there to upgrade too for a few years. this was before ridgid got involved. before color, before 512 sondes. took a few years before I purchased a seesnake mini.

over the years, I tried a few off brand cameras and those were junk. pretty well useless. 1 of them they actually bought it back.

of course along with cameras, came the endless purchases of locating equipment.

so 19 years later, my camera of choice is the rm200, cs6 digital monitor and sr20 locator.

rick.

DeepSea had 512 sondes back then. My unit with serial number 24 has the original sonde I bought with the unit. The sonde was made by ProtoTek for DeepSea, and it mounted inline with the camera head and the pushrod connector, was a pretty decent size too, made going through P-Traps a bit tough. The only receiver back then that picked up the 512 Hz signal was the Ferris F-1 locater, which felt like a a modified cheap metal detector compared to my old school Goldak. But I give it credit, I can always get within an inch of where the transmitter was located.
                      Ron's Facebook

Comment

the only sonde available back when I bought my seesnake was a tape on transmitter and that was not 512. it was only good for plastic and clay. was about a year later when I was able to bring it in and get a sonde installed in the spring. they removed the jumper patch cable in the spring. next time I go to my shop, i'll see if I can find my original receipt with the date of purchase. might even have the serial number too.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I bought mine the first year they came out with the real I still currently have. The year before they had the nearly 3" diameter camera head with the double pushrod that had over 500" of push cable That only was able to go through 4" p-traps. The head was rated for 30,000' underwater, and it had a 12K price tag. I wish I could get my hands on that first year real.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
                            U know what? That makes a lot of sense. .even if you needed to d o a couple re terms there'd be still plenty left.
                            I agree, it does make a lot of sense.

David

Comment

what will kill you is when a 200 reel kinks at 105' and you have 95 left then it's an imposter can you really send it out on jobs/ Nope even though it could handle most calls the next call will be 125' and you can't complete the job. I have 3 80-95' foot push cables in my shop (still connected to the full 200') that I just can't seem to throw away because I think I will use them. My 325 has done well no re terms at all and i use it all the time it just has this mass weight when it is rolling and handles everything that comes it's way. I just bought an 85' used for my guys and I know they will kink it like they always do. Reels are good for owners but treated poorly by employes thats where Ridgid rocks they are tanks.
                              Last edited by Cuda; 04-01-2014, 11:56 PM.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Guess I got a good setup cause my 325' is perfectly balanced and fits in the van great. I don't even need to bend down to pick it up. Couldn't be happier with the purchase.
                                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X