Root or Tile?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root or Tile?

First time recording with the CS6 and my full size color reel.

6" clay line (I think, possible to be 4" clay but that would be highly unusual for this area and age of the house. backs up with roots every few years.

This is the first time I have been in the line with rod or camera.

I was rodding from a 3.5" cleanout on a 4" CI stack. I rodded the line with a 2" Eel C-cutter on the flexspring, then a 3" eel spiral cutter, then a 4" Ridgid C-cutter (sharktooth). The 2" and 3" cutters got through with a lot of work. The 4" just spun and spun on the spot shown in the stills. I then went back with a 3" Ridgid sharktooth cutter and that passed through just fine.
    For the life of me I can't tell if the obstruction in the pictures is a piece of tile/mortar from the pipe or if it is just a giant root artery with a mass of smaller roots around it. I flushed the line pretty well and tried to clean it up, but this is the best I could do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Root or tile 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	636178Click image for larger version

Name:	Root or tile 2.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	636177Click image for larger version

Name:	Root or tile 3.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	636179

Re: Root or Tile?

Looks like the next tile is lined up.

Are you going into the pipe in rev?
    Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
      Looks like the next tile is lined up.

Are you going into the pipe in rev?
      I tried working the spot in both forward and reverse. Couldn't get the 4" cutter through in either direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
        I tried working the spot in both forward and reverse. Couldn't get the 4" cutter through in either direction.
        With a 3" cutter I can cut the left side and the right side of a 6" pipe if it is straight.
        Your hole is on the left side by what looks like a massive root. The right side looks more hair(like you could cut them).

Comment

looks like a large root feeding the smaller root hairs. I also think it's a 6'' clay line. based on the small hole the 3'' cutter made.

of course a jetter and root ranger would have destroyed those roots and had them for lunch.

what did your cutter look like when you removed it. was it dull or still sharp?

my guess is 6'' clay with a heavy old main root you were hitting.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick: I agree that it looks like 6". The only reason I am skeptical is that the catch basin under the addition is 4" in and out (usually 6" out) and I had a really tough time getting the 4" cutter out to this spot.

all the cutters came back sharp, which kind of surprised me. Usually my cutters come back a bit dull coming out of clay pipe.

My gut feeling was that it was a huge root, but my 2nd look made me think that maybe a piece of the mortor from the hub had fallen in.

Kol: I don't get your statement about rodding the left or right side of 6" pipe with a 3" cutter. Are you using the flexible leader? That is the only way I could see accomplishing what you are describing. You must be a magician if you are getting 6" lines spotless with a 3" cutter. The roots are all growing from the top down, not from one side or the other. A 3" cutter in a 6" line will not touch the top of the pipe in my experience no matter how much you manipulate the cable with your hand.

Both: If it is a giant root, then it is just that...giant. I am guestimating 3/4"-1" diameter. More like wood than roots. I have encountered my fair share of thicker main roots, but this is much larger than I have seen in a line without the pipe being broken.

Rick: I don't have a trailer jetter, nor do I know someone in the area who does. I can however rent a KJ3000 from AJ Coleman. If they have a root ranger to go with it, do you think that I could cut that sucker out?

Comment

Kol: I don't get your statement about rodding the left or right side of 6" pipe with a 3" cutter. Are you using the flexible leader? That is the only way I could see accomplishing what you are describing. You must be a magician if you are getting 6" lines spotless with a 3" cutter. The roots are all growing from the top down, not from one side or the other. A 3" cutter in a 6" line will not touch the top of the pipe in my experience no matter how much you manipulate the cable with your hand.

Both: If it is a giant root, then it is just that...giant. I am guestimating 3/4"-1" diameter. More like wood than roots. I have encountered my fair share of thicker main roots, but this is much larger than I have seen in a line without the pipe being broken.

With a 3" cutter you should be able to clean the bottom half of the pipe. The left side looks like a big root and the right side looks like hair roots(unless something is behind them).
              I thought maybe it would be possible to clean out a little more. But if close to a bend it will force your rod to one side.

Comment

yes, a kj3000 / 3000 psi 4 gpm will make root soup out of those roots. it will even cut into the mortar and wash that away with some work and positioning.

as long as you have a hole for the rr to pass through, the rear rotor will tear apart that heavy stump in no time.

just ask ben what he uses with his similar spec jetter.

I even needed my 1/4'' root ranger yesterday on a nasty 6'' main that the 1/2'' hose couldn't make the bends. so my 3/8'' hose made the bends and the 1/4'' rr did it's magic.

believe me, once you see the results of a root ranger, you'll be making room in your truck for a jetter.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Bend the end of the cable for added cutting. If you can get it pass the giant root.

Comment

I don't think that a 3" Ridgid cutter could cut out a root that thick. the metal is too thin and the teeth would dull quickly.

The camera has a ball guide on it. The root hairs you see are in the top half of the pipe. Couple of stragglers hanging down, but this is typical result for a 3" cutter in a 6" line. The roots are growing from the top down. The bottom RH side is rather clean. Not going to touch the top of the pipe with a 3" cutter.

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
                      Bend the end of the cable for added cutting. If you can get it pass the giant root.
                      That is asking for a flipped cable IMO

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        yes, a kj3000 / 3000 psi 4 gpm will make root soup out of those roots. it will even cut into the mortar and wash that away with some work and positioning.

as long as you have a hole for the rr to pass through, the rear rotor will tear apart that heavy stump in no time.

just ask ben what he uses with his similar spec jetter.

I even needed my 1/4'' root ranger yesterday on a nasty 6'' main that the 1/2'' hose couldn't make the bends. so my 3/8'' hose made the bends and the 1/4'' rr did it's magic.

believe me, once you see the results of a root ranger, you'll be making room in your truck for a jetter.

rick.
                        Only catch is that it is in a basement. I would need a jumper hose about 30-40' long to get into the basement from outside.

My biggest concern about jetting is that homes in my service area are typically 50-120 years old. A lot of old galvanized lines and 3/4" lead services. Typical to see no more than 30-40 psi at the meter (many of which are 5/8" meters on a 3/4" line). I worry about the pull from the pump disturbing the piping.

Comment

you could always use a holding tank / 55 gallon plastic drum to feed it from if need be. 4 gpm is that a lot to get out of your frost proof bibs?

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with rick on that being a big root. However I'll buck the norm and guess you're at the 4x6 and here's why. The leading edge is very clean. I've never seen root intrusions where I can see the edge of a pipe....except at the 4x6. I'm guessing you're using a K60? Not a big fan of the sharktooth cause it uses torque to bust through a blockage. I prefer the spiral saw blades.

So the root ranger.....the root ranger is the only reason why I cut roots all day in 6" pipe with a 13hp jetter. If it wasn't for that nozzle I'd have to upsize to at least a 27hp so I could use a warthog.....which btw...isn't sounding like a great root cutter unless your at 4018.

As far as bending the end of the cable so it'll scrape the sides......maybe works in grease but not roots(unless ficus). What happens is the cutter hits the blockage and centers in one point while the bend of the cable whips around not really doing much. I know this cause I've done setups with clear pipe so I can see the action of the cutter blades(need a life, lol).
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Have the Homeowner fill a 5 gallon bucket of water.....under a minute and you're gold with the kj3000
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X