Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice with locating - NaviTrack

Hello,

I handle site analysis for our company, and would like to add locating to our services. We mostly do commercial retail tenant improvements, but want to be able to handle residential work too.

I am looking to purchase a NaviTrack Line Locator (96967), a NaviTrack Line Transmitter (14818), and am looking to add one of the following to connect the transmitter to.

Drain Cleaners:
    K-380 (87327) w/ 3/8"x75' reel & Autofeed
    K-380 (87332) w/ 1/2"x75' reel & Autofeed
    K-3800 (53117) w/ 3/8"x75' reel & Autofeed
    K-3800 (53127) w/ 1/2"x90' reel & Autofeed

Has anyone used a similar setup to handle this type of work?

Also I am new to this forum. Is this the appropriate section for this type of question?

Any advice is welcome.
    Thanks,
    locate.it

SUGGEST TO USE A FIBERGLASS PUSH ROD INSTAED OF A SNAKE. IT'S MUCH FASTER AND REQUIRES LESS MAINTANENCE. BETTER YET IF YOU PURCHASE A CAMERA WITH A LOCATOR. THIS WAY YOU CAN SEE WHAT YOUR LOOK FOR. IT MAKES IT MUCH EAISER TO LOCATE WHEN YOU SEE THE TURNS. ALSO THE CAMERA IS THE PUSH ROD. ONLY ISSUE YOUR NOW TALKING APPROX. $8000 WITH THE LOCATOR. 1 HAVE 5 DIFFERENT CAMERAS. AND 4 LOCATORS IF INTERESTED. GOOD LUCK.

Comment

how many utilities can be detected by the Navitrack at one time?

who sells the Navitrack in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area?

Comment

Rick,
        Thanks for the reply. I have not been around the forum since last year.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
        SUGGEST TO USE A FIBERGLASS PUSH ROD INSTAED OF A SNAKE. IT'S MUCH FASTER AND REQUIRES LESS MAINTANENCE.
        1) Where might a fiberglass push rod be purchased?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
        BETTER YET IF YOU PURCHASE A CAMERA WITH A LOCATOR. THIS WAY YOU CAN SEE WHAT YOUR LOOK FOR. IT MAKES IT MUCH EAISER TO LOCATE WHEN YOU SEE THE TURNS.
        Hopefully sometime in the near future a SeeSnake camera/locator purchase will be possible. I would like to purchase the most versatile combination for our use.

We mostly do commercial tenant improvements typicall 1000-2500 s.f. range. Usually 1 story strip center improvements. So I want to be able to inspect/locate 4" building drains without difficulty.

There are so many options that it makes it difficult to decide which is the best solution.

2) It seems that both the KD-200'(13958) and KD-325' (13978) self-leveling color SeeSnake will do the job. What drawbacks exist aside from added weight & size when purchasing a KD-325 instead of the smaller 200' version?

3) I read that the Flatpack Plus is too flexible for 4" lines and that the Mini-SeeSnake Plus would be a better solution, though not as good as the SeeSnake Plus. I would like to do some residential inspection so how important is having 1-1/2" diameter capable system?

4) Price is always a concern. What sort of show specials might one except to see in Feb. at the Nashville show in comparison to a reputable online vendor like ToolUp? (just looking for a guess)

5) I read in another post that there is a dvd recorder / vcr option available. Is that a ridgid product? (I was unable to locate a part number. Does anyone know it?)

6) Is there already another thread that covers most of these questions?

Thanks,
        locate.it

Comment

locate-it, a full size camera will give you the best all around coverage with the exception of the 1.5'' lines and possibly dirty 2'' lines. a 200' cable is much lees expensive than a 325'. problem is if you break or wear out the front 50' you have to cut it off. this would leave you with 150'. you will never push out 200' in reality. i've never broken a cable or worn one out beyond it's usefull life. then again i'm the only one using this equiptment.

the nashville show you can expect a 15% savings and sometimes a free locator. it's worth you going there for a couple of days. lots of different vendors.

fiberglass push rods can be found at this show or from a good electrical supplier. not cheap for a 1/4'' or 5/16'' x 300'. approx. $600. with roller cage.

i perfer the color camera and not sure if self leveling is needed. i always use water to keep the camera oriontated?

rick.

Comment

locate.it

I believe it's essential to have a remote locator as an add on to a drain cleaner cable as some rainwater drains will get so clogged up with silt that a camera won't reach to use it's locator, but a cable will reach considerable further, which may be critical on a locate.

I'd use it for emergencies only (eg. to push further & harder than a camera cable, favouring the camera's transmitter for normal use, as I imagine it will get damaged fairly quickly.

Regards, Paul

Comment

Working...
            X