X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Power-Spin

Help! I used the power-spin to unclog my sink. Both sides now fill up with water and takes over 6 hours to drain completely. Anyway, I used the power-spin and snaked it down my drain and in the process of trying to put the ^$#$^&& thing back the black casing that is held by three small screws and connects to the drill came apart. I now have several black items two small springs a cotter pin and washer and no *&(^%%#@ idea how they go back together. Can anyone help? Thanks!

clogged,

Sounds like you have had a pretty bad day. Another named Rick can probably help you with your machine issues better than I since I no longer do that sort of thing.

A few questions we will need to ask before we can help ascertain your drain problem:

1. Were both sides of your sink blocked before you started your project?

2. How long of a run is your sink drain before it reaches your main drain or stack?
    2a. Did you use enough cable to reach the end of your branch?

3. How old is your piping system?

4. What type of pipe do you have, ie; plastic, steel, cast?

5. Did the blockage occur "out of the blue" or did it just slowly get slower and slower?

6. Do you have two pipes that connect into one trap before it goes into the wall or do you have two traps with outlets that go into the wall at seperate locations?

If you can provide answers to these questions there are posters here who can probably give you some really good advice. Otherwise we are guessing and I would rather not play that game anymore.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

WHY NOT TAKE IT BACK TO HOME DEPOT? OR AT LEAST LOOK AT A NEW ONE THERE TO COMPARE IT TO. I WAS GOING TO MAKE IT FUNNY, BUT I THINK YOU ALREADY MADE ME LAUGH. @#$%^&*()_+!!!
      RICK
      YOU CAN ALSO LOOK UP THE PARTS BREAKDOWN AT THE TOP OF THE RIDGID WEBSITE. LOOK UP THE MODEL AND THEN GO INTO THE SPECS?

P.S. 25 YEARS AGO MY BROTHER IN LAW TOOK APART HIS PARENTS WASHING MACHINE TO ATTEMPT TO FIX IT. WHEN HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO, THE APPLIANCE REPAIR MAN CAME TO SAVE THE DAY. "IT IS CHEAPER TO BUY A NEW ONE THEN TO PUT THIS BACK TOGETHER". LAST TIME HE EVER TOUCHED ANYTHING MECHANICAL. NOW HE'S A LAWYER.

Comment

PLUMBER, YOU BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH.
        DOES IT ONLY BACK UP WHEN THE NEIGHBORHOOD KIDS PLAY BASKETBALL? IS THE HOUSE ON "WHEELS"?

OK WE ALL GET THE JOKE, OR AT LEAST A FEW OF US FROM LAST WEEKS MYSTERY.
        BACK TO YOUR STOPPAGE PROBLEM. A KITCHEN SINK IS TYPICALLY THE WORST FIXTURE IN THE HOUSE TO KEEP CLEAN. THEY ALSO TEND TO SHARE THE WASTE LINE WITH THE LAUNDRY LINE. AS PLUMBER STATED, IS THE LINE METAL? DOES IT RUN A FAR DISTANCE TO THE REST OF THE SYSTEM, MAIN.
        I HAVE THE BEST LUCK WITH KITCHEN LINES USING A JETTER FROM AN OUTSIDE CLEANOUT OR ROOF VENT. SINCE THIS IS NOT A DO IT YOUSELF THING, LETS SKIP TO WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR 25' CABLE. IF YOU HAVE AN OUTSIDE CLEANOUT, THEN USE THIS WITH YOUR MACHINE ONCE YOU RE-ASSEMBLE IT PROPERLY. THIS WILL ALLOW FOR A VISUAL OF THE STOPPAGE ONCE YOU HIT AND CLEAR THE STOPPAGE. AS THE WATER STOPS COMING OUT THE C/O. YOU HIT IT. WORK THIS AREA AND KEEP THE WATER RUNNING. IT'S POSSIBLE A 25' CABLE ISN'T LONG ENOUGH.
        NOW FOR THE NOT SO FUN JOB. IF NO CLEANOUT, (C/O) TRY FROM THE ROOF VENT. I DON'T GO UP ON A SECOND STORY PITCHED ROOF. ONCE AGAIN MIGHT NOT HAVE ENOUGH CABLE. YOU CAN TRY A 35' CABLE.
        NOW THE WORST CASE. TAKE APART THE TRAP U BEND. THIS IS AFTER YOU HAVE DRAINED OUT THE WASTE WATER. RUN YOUR CABLE FROM THE DRAIN. YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE ADVANTAGE OF WATER TO TEST THE LINE UNTIL YOU RE-ASSEMBLE THE TRAP. I ALWAYS USE A 3/8'' CABLE AND CUTTER WITH 75' CAPACITY TO MAKE SURE I DON'T MISS THE STOPPAGE.
        GREASE AND FOOD WASTE IS A TOUGH JOB WITHOUT THE PROPER EQUIPTMENT AND KNOWLEDGE. IT HAS A TENDECY TO PLUG UP EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE RUN THE CABLE THROUGH IT FAR ENOUGH.
        AS PLUMBER SAID, YOU NEED TO KNOW A FEW THINGS THAT YOU'RE UP AGAINST IF YOU WANT TO OUTSMART THE STOPPAGE. IF YOU KNOW THE MAX. DISTANCE TO THE NEXT WORKING FIXTURE IN LINE, THEN YOU KNOW HOW FAR YOU MIGHT NEED TO SNAKE. ALSO LIKE I SAID EARLIER, IT'S FASTER, CLEANER, AND EASIER WITH THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT AND PROPER CLEANOUT OPENING.
        HOPE THAT THIS HAS HELPED YOU OUT.

PLUMBER, HOPE THIS MADE YOU SMILE.
        MAC, HOPE THIS HAS ALL TAUGHT US A LESSON.

RICK.

Comment

Rick,

Yes, thanks for the chuckle.

I feel for clogged, the poor guy probably fought that cable all afternoon and busted his knuckles a half dozen times only to have the machine fall apart and his sink is still backed up. His keyboard might not last if we can't help him.

Comment

1. Were both sides of your sink blocked before you started your project? (Yes, it slowly backed up and I used draino tec... seemed to help for a while)

2. How long of a run is your sink drain before it reaches your main drain or stack? (about 8-10 feet)
            2a. Did you use enough cable to reach the end of your branch? (25ft)

3. How old is your piping system? (looks like it was redone in the past 10 years)

4. What type of pipe do you have, ie; plastic, steel, cast? (Plastic)

5. Did the blockage occur "out of the blue" or did it just slowly get slower and slower? (slower and slower)

6. Do you have two pipes that connect into one trap before it goes into the wall or do you have two traps with outlets that go into the wall at seperate locations? (duel sink with both sides connecting before trap; then single thru back of cabinet)

Hey guys, really didnt think anyone would get to my post this fast. After I posted here, I went back to homedepot and looked at casing. After I fixed it - it was a bear to get that cotter pin back on - I tugged the hell out of the cable and pulled out what appeared to be a dead squid covered in... well you get the idea. I snaked it again and pulled out it's brother but think there might be more in there. The snake got kinked a bit and seems to feed only so far now. Also, I think I cracked the trap so looks like one more trip to home depot. Sorry I sounded frantic - I was just pissed! Any ideas on flushing the rest of Mr. Squid's family out of there? Thanks again!

Comment

CLOGGED, ARE YOU SERIOUS ABOUT A SQUID? WHERE DO YOU LIVE? WAS THIS A MOTOR BOAT?
              ANYWAYS WITH SUCH A SHORT RUN TO THE MAIN, I WOULD KEEP ON SNAKING BACK AND FORTH FROM THE BASKET STRAINER WITH WATER RUNNING, OR THE DIVERTER TEE WITH THE WATER RUNNING FROM THE OTHER SIDE. WITH WATER RUNNING AND YOU SNAKING THIS WILL HELP FLUSH OUT THE LINE. PLASTIC IS VERY EASY TO CLEAN.

PLUMBER NOW WE HAVE TO ASK IF YOUR HOUSE HAS WHEELS OR AN OUTBOARD. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO A COMMON STOPPAGE. I'M STILL WAITING TO PULL OUT MY FIRST SNAKE OR RAT. HAVE PULLED BACK MANY "WHITE MICE".
              RICK.

[ 07-25-2005, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

All better now. Thanks for all your help! I really do appreciate it! Now if you have any ideas how to get the stink off my hands!! Hahha! Actually, lemons did the trick! Thanks again!

Comment

Oh, and the "squid" was ust a bunch of greasy black hair mangled yuck. (I would have gotten sick but I knew noone would have taken a dump in the kitchen sink.... would they? Hahah

Comment

clogged,

calamari is quite popular with some coasties.

Comment

THis past Friday afternoon I purchased a Rigid Power-Spin at HomeDepot. The kitchen sink had quit draining and my old, hand-cranked snake didn't handle the blockage. Having removed the trap, access was directly into the drain pipe stub sticking out of the wall. I couldn't get the snake very far down the pipe, although I tried several times. After several tries, the new Rigid Power-spin broke!!! Irritated both by my lack of success & the failure of a new "high-power" snake, I returned to HomeDepot to request a refund for the Power-spin. HD refused to accept the return as the snake had been used. A Health Dept regulation it was claimed. I then went to the HD Tool Rental area to see whether snakes were rented. Indeed they are and, yes, HD most certainly accepts the rental snakes when they are returned, following use. Must be a different Health Dept in that part of the store. I am astounded. If there was concern about contamination; have a heavy-duty plastic contaminated item bag avaialble and have the customer place the item therein. I expected better from HD.

Subtitle of this post is : "How a Lowe's customer was created."

BTW, the drain remains clogged; plumber will be called.

Comment

Working...
                      X