X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users Experience

I was curious on other contractors experience in this product.
    Jim

I have been in the sewer cleaning busines for 20 years and was wondering if this unit is a worthwhile investment and what people charge for using it . How long does it take to pay for itself?

Comment

I have some experience with "See Snake" before the were bought by Ridgid and was happy with them at the time. I understand that there have been improvements to the origional and are better yet. I am planning on purchasing one within the next year.

Comment

Ask yourself this question, "Have I cleared this drain completely and why did it stop up?". If you can answer the question without looking, then do not invest in the equipment. Yesterday, we cleared a 8" storm sewer line. Observing water flow after clearing, we thought the line was still partially clogged. However, after running camera through line, we were able to show customer that line was clear and problem was line was laid flat most of the way with some reverse grade at the end.

I struggled with the payback issue for too long before investing. The see snake is the best tool since steel tapes for solving drainage problems.

[This message has been edited by tayco (edited 08-18-2000).]

Comment

How are you able to determine how much pitch is on a pipe from a camera?Or is it that it just appears flat?

------------------
          Felciano Plumbing & Heating

http://www.felciano-plumbing.com
          Felciano Plumbing & Heating<P>http://www.felciano-plumbing.com

Comment

Can't determine pitch without an inclinometer in the camera - found only on mainline camera systems.

Need to look for "ponding" in a pipe line. Clean and thoroughly flush line, then use a camera to inspect pipe - with no flow. If you come across a length or section of pipe with standing water - there is a loss of pitch. You may be able to see tiny particles just floating in the standing water - these particles(and bigger pieces)settle to the bottom and occassionally be the start of a clog. Most times caused by offset joints that
            "drop" or push from root infiltration

Not much to do to correct the problem except excavate to reset pipe picth or install new pipe. Most times, situation will lead to a service contract and customer awareness that frequesnt cleaning may be necessary - not
            just poor drain cleaning workmanship.

[This message has been edited by Sam (edited 08-19-2000).]

Comment

One way to determine pitch, both proper and backfall with bellies, is to flush a ping-pong ball down a vent, while your camera is facing in from a clean-out. This is the way our Plumbing Inspectors inspect drain lines that have been re-routed using a boring method, or where there is no way to physically or visually inspect the piping system. Drop a ping-pong ball down a vent at the start of the system, then pour 5 gallons of water down behind it. If you see it exit the clean-out, the pitch is true, any area with backfall or a belly, will cause the ball to stay at the defect. Run your camera up. When you see the ball in a pool of water, you got a problem. Try it, it works.

------------------

Comment

The product is excellent but when it comes to warranty issues that's when you run into a Brick wall. I had mine for 9 months and already had to invest another $500 for repairs that I tought should have been covered under warranty. Now that really bites!!! I have other camera's that I had never had this problem specially being this new!!

Comment

I am in the proces right now of purchasing a 200 ft B/W camera with the scout locater. What other video inspections equiptment is available??
                  Do you know anyone who sales used?
                  The prices Ive gotten so far locally for seesnake tv/vcr and locater. $6355 camera and tv/vcr and $1050 for the locater. Plus 7% tax.

Comment

Working...
                  X