X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating conduits in concrete using navitrack

Hi, I'm posting here for the first time so I hope this is the right forum, and not an overly repeated question.

I'm looking to improve my companies ability to find features in concrete primarily conduits and PT cables. I've read up a bit on the navitrack and we've used it to find locations above and below slabs but I've also read you can trace conduits with it as well. From what I've seen on the site this requires hooking up some sort of transmitter/inducer? to the line in order to trace it, is this the only possible method? Secondly, if the slab is full of electrical and other features, does this affect the signal? Can the Navitrack simply detect energized power lines without the transmiltter? and is there a minimum voltage? and finally, if there is only one main point where the electrical is distributed, what would happen if you hooked up the transmitter there? would it turn all the buried electrical into transmitters making them impossible to differentiate?

I have never used mine to trace electrical and I would strongly recommend you ask a rep to come out and demo the NaviTrack for you.

My understanding is the NaviTrack will trace AC lines under load while in the Passive AC Trace Mode. If you want to trace a conduit or cable you would do it the same way you trace pipes.

The easiest way to trace pipe is with a direct connection using the NaviTrack transmitter. The transmitter can also be set over the top of the buried line and use an inductive connection to trace. You can also use the transmitter in inductive mode by using the inductive clamp.

Depending on what method you use you may get some bleed over of your signal. Moving your point of connection or induction will help to narrow down your trace.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

MAX, YOU CAN TRACE, OR LOCATE ANY 50/60 HZ. ELECTRICAL LINE WHETHER OR NOT THERE IS A LOAD ON IT. AS LONG AS IT IS POWERED YOU WILL SPOT IT. AS FAR AS PINPOINTING A PATICULAR CONDUIT THAT MIGHT RUN THROUGH A PORTION OF SLAB THAT YOU WILL SAWCUT, CORE. THIS IS WHERE THE 50/60 HZ. WORKS GOOD. ALL YOU WANT TO KNOW IS IF THE PATH IS CLEAR TO CUT. EASY ENOUGH. PROBLEM WITH LOCATING A PATICULAR CONDUIT IS THE INTERFERENCE WITH ALL THE REBAR. IF THE CONDUIT IS PLASTIC YOUR OK. YOU CAN SEND A SIGNAL THROUGH THE WIRE ONLY. THE SAFEST METHODH WOULD BE WITH THE "INDUCTIVE CLAMP". PART #92597. THIS WAY YOUR NOT ACTUALLY CONNECTING TO AN ENERGIZED WIRE. MERLY SENDIND A SIGNAL THROUGH IT VIA A FIELD. POST TENSION CABLE CAN BE A LITTLE MORE TRICKY. YOU WON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE END OF THE CABLES ONCE THEY ARE STRECTHED AND CUT OFF. YOU WILL NEED TO SCAN THE FLOOR IN BOTH DIRECTIONS WITH THE INDUCTION METHOD FROM THE CASE. THIS CAN GIVE YOU SOME HEADACHS. IF ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS MAKE SURE THE PATH IS CLEAR THEN YOUR OK. TO FOLLOW IT FROM POINT A TO B SHOULD ALSO BE A STRAIGHT LINE. CHECK YOUR DEPTH AND MARK YOUR POINTS. SEE IF THE LINE YOUR TRACING IS FAIRLY STRAIGHT. ALSO CHECK PRIOR ON A KNOWN LOCATION TO TEST YOURSELF.
      GOOD LUCK, RICK.

Comment

I guess I should have clarified, the NaviTrack will locate the line whether or not it has a load, but Ridgid says it will do a much better job of locating an energized line if it has a load as it is reading the cycle.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
        X