X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras/Jetters Tricks

I am in the process of purchasing a jetter not from ridgid .I am also looking at buying both sea snakes and tool box monitor.
    Has any one got any advice/tricks with using camera&jetters specially getting around traps or broken terracotta.
    Thanks
    Greg

Greg,

Good luck with the SeeSnake and ToolCase set up I really like mine.

As far as getting around a hard spot with either pieces it depends on how badly broken the terracotta is. If I suspected a break I would try and use the camera first to analyze the problem.

If the pipe is broken you likely will have to locate and dig up the line either way. If you are trying to get past it as a temporary thing there are some tricks.

If you have a vibra-pluse on your jetter it will, for lsck of a better word, bounce around inside the pipe. Just keep attacking the same area until you get past it. If you do not have a vibra-pluse you can throttle your volume.

With the SeeSnake you can give a twist to the push rod as you try to pass the bad spot and it may help you get past it.

Just remember anytime you are trying to get past a spot that is broken and hard to get around you run the risk of getting stuck and damaging your equipment. Make sure it is worth it to get around the hard spot before you commit yourself.

Good luck - Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

greg,

going through a trap is very hard on a camera and push rod. the trap that they demo on at trade shows are brand new abs plastic. the demo is set up to show how easy it is. in the real world this is not so. a trap will cause tremendous friction and will cut into your camera cable. chances are you will not get too far into the line. my professional opinion is don't run your camera into a trap. go around it from a c/o or vent line if possible.

getting a jetter to get past or through a trap is also difficult. depending on the size of the hose, psi and volume of the machine and nozzle selection. a jetter is limited to how far it will pull based on how much friction the hose will generate. the more friction the less pull. once again if you can avoid the trap great.
      i use a custom made stainless steel jetter hose for smaller lines. this allows me to cut down the friction while maintaining a good flow. the hose is a small o.d with a minimun wall thickness. most trap hoses are very restrictive due to the wall thickness of the hose. this cuts down on your pressure and volume. a proper nozzle is also very important. i use a spring leader on my smaller lines. this allows the nozzle to hit the turn and glide around it without binding. vibra pulse is nice for the long run. it will help some on hard turns. i find that turning the hose while trying to get around will help. a foot pedal controll valve will give you a much larger pulse when you need it. this is also an excellant safety feature. it frees up both hands and gives you full controll over your water flow.

a jetter is more likely to get hung up on a broken line as it will dig into the surrounding soil as it moves fowards. it doesn't have eyes like a camera. a camera has eyss and you will be able to keep youself from getting into trouble. proper spacers will prevent the camera head from falling through most defects and breaks. monitor your picture and go slow with caution on the bad stuff.
      in my 8 years of owning cameras, i've never been stuck, where i couldn't get out of. although i once found someone elses camera broken off in a line out to the alley.

if you can avoid traps with a camera or a jetter, you will be much happier with your large investment of $$$. a broken camera is very expensive to fix. a broken push rod will shorten up your total camera length, once it's repaired.

how about a trip to australia for some hands on training? it's been 15 years since i was there. where in australia are you?

rick.

Comment

Working...
      X